Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Mark Greenwood

Default KDE 4.6 Beta 2 and HAL

Has anyone else been trying the release of KDE 4.6 Beta 2 that's in the Kubuntu PPA? So far it seems very stable to me but there's one problem. KDE 4.6 is supposed to be able to run without HAL, but when I remove HAL from my laptop I get a message from PowerDevil saying it can't find any power management backends. It's supposed to be able to use upower now - which is installed - and indeed when running on battery with HAL installed I get two batteries displayed in PowerDevil which indicates it is detecting the battery via HAL and via upower - so why is it complaining about there being no working backends?

Mark

Old 12-17-2010, 09:14 PM

> Has anyone else been trying the release of KDE 4.6 Beta 2 that's in the
> Kubuntu PPA? So far it seems very stable to me but there's one problem.
> KDE 4.6 is supposed to be able to run without HAL, but when I remove HAL
> from my laptop I get a message from PowerDevil saying it can't find any
> power management backends. It's supposed to be able to use upower now -
> which is installed - and indeed when running on battery with HAL installed
> I get two batteries displayed in PowerDevil which indicates it is
> detecting the battery via HAL and via upower - so why is it complaining
> about there being no working backends?
>
> Mark

While KDE 4.6 is supposed to be able to be run without HAL, in Kubuntu
Maverick I don't think all the parts are built to be used without HAL. A
HAL-less KDE system is just now being tested in Natty.

clay

Old 12-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Mark Greenwood

On Friday 17 Dec 2010 22:14:27 claydoh@claydoh.com wrote:

> > Has anyone else been trying the release of KDE 4.6 Beta 2 that's in the
> > Kubuntu PPA? So far it seems very stable to me but there's one problem.
> > KDE 4.6 is supposed to be able to run without HAL, but when I remove HAL
> > from my laptop I get a message from PowerDevil saying it can't find any
> > power management backends. It's supposed to be able to use upower now -
> > which is installed - and indeed when running on battery with HAL installed
> > I get two batteries displayed in PowerDevil which indicates it is
> > detecting the battery via HAL and via upower - so why is it complaining
> > about there being no working backends?
> >
> > Mark
> >

> While KDE 4.6 is supposed to be able to be run without HAL, in Kubuntu
> Maverick I don't think all the parts are built to be used without HAL. A
> HAL-less KDE system is just now being tested in Natty.
>
> clay

Thanks Clay, that explains it I guess. Shame, my laptop has never liked HAL very much.. :-) How good is that Alpha of Natty I wonder..???

mark

Old 12-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:30:48 PM Mark Greenwood wrote:
> Thanks Clay, that explains it I guess. Shame, my laptop has never liked HAL
> very much.. :-) How good is that Alpha of Natty I wonder..???

I just installed a daily (17-Dec) of natty 32 bit today - its pretty damn
good, close to beta quality I would say. Pretty much everything is working
smothly.

- Flash in rekonq is broken

- I had to install firefox manually.