FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Luca
 
Default Quick conversion from mp3 to wav

Hi All.

I need a program available on kubuntu repository to convert some mp3
tracks to wav files...

I'm sorry but I cant find any usefull by the apt-cache search command...

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 PM
cherryfinals
 
Default Quick conversion from mp3 to wav

Audacity will do this. It's also an excellent audio editor.

--- Luca <lucafbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I need a program available on kubuntu repository to convert some mp3
> tracks to wav files...
>
> I'm sorry but I cant find any usefull by the apt-cache search
> command...
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>


Stan

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt


__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Be a better pen pal.
Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how. http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 PM
"guido dom"
 
Default Quick conversion from mp3 to wav

This is what I use from within the directory with mp3 files
# replace all spaces with _
for i in *.mp3; do mv "$i" `echo $i | tr ' ' '_'`; done
# replace all capitals with normal (ie A becomes a)

for i in *.[Mm][Pp]3; do mv "$i" `echo $i | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`; done
# make wav from all mp3
for i in *.mp3; do mpg123 --rate 44100 --stereo --buffer 3072 --resync -w `basename $i .mp3`.wav $i; done

remove mp3
rm *.mp3

2007/11/25, Luca <lucafbb@gmail.com>:
Hi All.

I need a program available on kubuntu repository to convert some mp3
tracks to wav files...

I'm sorry but I cant find any usefull by the apt-cache search command...

--
kubuntu-users mailing list

kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users



--
Tel:+32 (0)58 239804**+32 (0)497 538736

Nog een mooie dag toegewenst.

Guido (dompie) Dom
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-25-2007, 12:50 PM
cherryfinals
 
Default Quick conversion from mp3 to wav

I almost forgot that if you just want to make an audio CD to play in
the car or home stereo system, that feature is already built in to K3B.

Just select "Create Audio CD" from the opening menu and then choose the
MP3 files you want on the CD. When you 'Burn' it, they will
automatically be converted to wav format.

Hope this helps.


--- Luca <lucafbb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I need a program available on kubuntu repository to convert some mp3
> tracks to wav files...
>
> I'm sorry but I cant find any usefull by the apt-cache search
> command...
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>


Stan

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt


__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Be a better pen pal.
Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how. http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Michael Ulm
 
Default Quick conversion from mp3 to wav

Luca wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I need a program available on kubuntu repository to convert some mp3
> tracks to wav files...
>
> I'm sorry but I cant find any usefull by the apt-cache search command...
>

If you have nothing against the command line I can recommend SoX. With
this it is as simple as

sox song.mp3 song.wav

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Paul S
 
Default Quick conversion from mp3 to wav

Michael Ulm said the following on 11/26/2007 04:22 AM:
> Luca wrote:
>> I need a program available on kubuntu repository to convert some mp3
>> tracks to wav files...

Remember that mp3 to wav can result in some loss of the track, so
quality suffers a bit. So, don't go back and forth more than once and
save your original mp3 files, as they will be the best quality in the
future, if you need them again.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-27-2007, 03:30 AM
"Dana J. Laude"
 
Default Quick conversion from mp3 to wav

Michael Ulm wrote:
> Luca wrote:
>> Hi All.
>>
>> I need a program available on kubuntu repository to convert some mp3
>> tracks to wav files...
>>
>> I'm sorry but I cant find any usefull by the apt-cache search command...
>>
>
> If you have nothing against the command line I can recommend SoX. With
> this it is as simple as
>
> sox song.mp3 song.wav

Audacity works fine for a gui, but rather tedious for a lot of
files. A command line option would work cool, if you could say do
(as in your example) sox /opt/tunes/mp3/*.mp3 /opt/tunes/ogg/*.ogg)
.. or whatever.

Dana
--
A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. -
Frank Zappa

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Quick conversion from mp3 to wav

Paul S wrote:
> Michael Ulm said the following on 11/26/2007 04:22 AM:
>> Luca wrote:
>>> I need a program available on kubuntu repository to convert some mp3
>>> tracks to wav files...
>
> Remember that mp3 to wav can result in some loss of the track, so
> quality suffers a bit. So, don't go back and forth more than once and
> save your original mp3 files, as they will be the best quality in the
> future, if you need them again.
>

Not to be itsybitsy on details but it is the wav to mp3 conversion that
creates the loss as mp3 (as ogg and many others) by design are a lossy
compression method. Meaning it permanently removes stuff from the
original input file, not only compresses.

It is however correct that it would result in more and more loss to do
wav to mp3 and then mp3 to wav and then back again.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-27-2007, 05:38 AM
Paul Lemmons
 
Default Quick conversion from mp3 to wav

Luca wrote:
>>> Hi All.
>>>
>>> I need a program available on kubuntu repository to convert some mp3
>>> tracks to wav files...
>>>
>>> I'm sorry but I cant find any usefull by the apt-cache search command...
>>>
>>>

K->System->Adept Manager

search for "soundconverter"
or
search for "sox"

I have not tried either it but it looks like what you are looking for.
The following command should convert all of your mp3's to wav's

> cd MyMusic
MyMusic> find . -print0 -name "*.mp3" | sed -e "s/.mp3$//" | xargs
-0tI {} sox "{}.mp3" "{}.wav"

It is also possible to do with mplayer but it is a little more complex.
This would be useful only if you already have mplayer installed with mp3
support.



Just out of curiosity... why mp3->wav? Do you sell hard disks?

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-27-2007, 05:44 AM
Michael Ulm
 
Default Quick conversion from mp3 to wav

Dana J. Laude wrote:
> Michael Ulm wrote:
>> Luca wrote:
>>> Hi All.
>>>
>>> I need a program available on kubuntu repository to convert some mp3
>>> tracks to wav files...
>>>
>>> I'm sorry but I cant find any usefull by the apt-cache search command...
>>>
>> If you have nothing against the command line I can recommend SoX. With
>> this it is as simple as
>>
>> sox song.mp3 song.wav
>
> Audacity works fine for a gui, but rather tedious for a lot of
> files. A command line option would work cool, if you could say do
> (as in your example) sox /opt/tunes/mp3/*.mp3 /opt/tunes/ogg/*.ogg)
> .. or whatever.
>
> Dana

This can be done using standard shell scripting capabilities. The
syntax is (assuming you use bash, and btw. this is untested)

for i in /opt/tunes/mp3/*.mp3; do sox "$i" "${i/.mp3}".wav; done

HTH,

Michael

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org