Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Larry Alkoff

Default How to download Opera to Kubuntu 8.04 LTS?

I would like to add Opera to this computer
and have downloaded opera_10.63.6450_i386.deb.

When I try to load the file with:
sudo dpkg -i opera_10.63.6450_i386.deb
I get complaints that
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good is not installed
and the installation stops.

There doesn't seem to be any such package in the repositories when I invoke
aptitude -vv show
which usually works to give information about a package in the repositories.

How can I install Opera?

Larry Alkoff

Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Alvin

On Saturday 11 December 2010 00:13:04 Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I would like to add Opera to this computer
> and have downloaded opera_10.63.6450_i386.deb.
>
> When I try to load the file with:
> sudo dpkg -i opera_10.63.6450_i386.deb
> I get complaints that
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-good is not installed
> and the installation stops.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any such package in the repositories when I invoke
> aptitude -vv show
> which usually works to give information about a package in the
> repositories.
>
> How can I install Opera?

It's in main (maverick):
$ aptitude show gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

So, just run:
$ sudo aptitude install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Dienstag 14 Dezember 2010, um 09:52:23 schrieb Alvin:
> On Saturday 11 December 2010 00:13:04 Larry Alkoff wrote:
> > I would like to add Opera to this computer
> > and have downloaded opera_10.63.6450_i386.deb.
> >
> > When I try to load the file with:
> > sudo dpkg -i opera_10.63.6450_i386.deb
> >
> > I get complaints that
> > gstreamer0.10-plugins-good is not installed
> > and the installation stops.
> >
> > There doesn't seem to be any such package in the repositories when I
> > invoke
> >
> > aptitude -vv show
> >
> > which usually works to give information about a package in the
> > repositories.
> >
> > How can I install Opera?
>
> It's in main (maverick):
> $ aptitude show gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
>
> So, just run:
> $ sudo aptitude install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

According to the subject, he wants it for hardy, not maverick. According to
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gstreamer0.10-plugins-good it's in the main
security repo, which suggests that he isn't getting any security updates,
which I would see as a bigger problem than not being able to install opera...

--Reinhold

Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Alvin

On Tuesday 14 December 2010 10:42:52 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> Am Dienstag 14 Dezember 2010, um 09:52:23 schrieb Alvin:
> > On Saturday 11 December 2010 00:13:04 Larry Alkoff wrote:
> > > I would like to add Opera to this computer
> > > and have downloaded opera_10.63.6450_i386.deb.
> > >
> > > When I try to load the file with:
> > > sudo dpkg -i opera_10.63.6450_i386.deb
> > >
> > > I get complaints that
> > > gstreamer0.10-plugins-good is not installed
> > > and the installation stops.
> > >
> > > There doesn't seem to be any such package in the repositories when I
> > > invoke
> > >
> > > aptitude -vv show
> > >
> > > which usually works to give information about a package in the
> > > repositories.
> > >
> > > How can I install Opera?
> >
> > It's in main (maverick):
> > $ aptitude show gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> >
> > So, just run:
> > $ sudo aptitude install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
>
> According to the subject, he wants it for hardy, not maverick. According to
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gstreamer0.10-plugins-good it's in the
> main security repo, which suggests that he isn't getting any security
> updates, which I would see as a bigger problem than not being able to
> install opera...

Oops, I read over that. I'm using Opera since before hardy, so yes, the
necessary packages should be available on all Ubuntu versions.

If you install Opera, it'll also create cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu/Hardy for adding
main back to your sources.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Dienstag 14 Dezember 2010, um 17:30:04 schrieb Alvin:
> On Tuesday 14 December 2010 10:42:52 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

> > > It's in main (maverick):
> > > $ aptitude show gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> > >
> > > So, just run:
> > > $ sudo aptitude install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> >
> > According to the subject, he wants it for hardy, not maverick. According
> > to http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gstreamer0.10-plugins-good it's in
> > the main security repo, which suggests that he isn't getting any
> > security updates, which I would see as a bigger problem than not being
> > able to install opera...
>
> Oops, I read over that. I'm using Opera since before hardy, so yes, the
> necessary packages should be available on all Ubuntu versions.
>
> If you install Opera, it'll also create cat
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list
>
> See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu/Hardy for adding
> main back to your sources.

From what I gathered from packages.ubuntu.com, gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
isn't in the normal main repo, only in the security updates. Hence my comment
that Larry must've disabled it, meaning that he doesn't receive these updates.

OTOH he might consider upgrading to 10.04 or whatever was the latest LTS. That
way, he shouldn't have these problems.

--Reinhold

Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Clay Weber

On Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:43:59 pm Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> Am Dienstag 14 Dezember 2010, um 17:30:04 schrieb Alvin:

> > > According to the subject, he wants it for hardy, not maverick.
> > > According to
> > > http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gstreamer0.10-plugins-good it's in
> > > the main security repo, which suggests that he isn't getting any
> > > security updates, which I would see as a bigger problem than not being
> > > able to install opera...
> >
> > Oops, I read over that. I'm using Opera since before hardy, so yes, the
> > necessary packages should be available on all Ubuntu versions.
> >
> > If you install Opera, it'll also create cat
> > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list
> >
> > See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu/Hardy for
> > adding main back to your sources.
>
> From what I gathered from packages.ubuntu.com, gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> isn't in the normal main repo, only in the security updates. Hence my
> comment that Larry must've disabled it, meaning that he doesn't receive
> these updates.
>
> OTOH he might consider upgrading to 10.04 or whatever was the latest LTS.
> That way, he shouldn't have these problems.
>
> --Reinhold]

While it is in Hardy's security updates, it also was moved to hardy-updates
(recommended updates in Adept) , so that is also another place to look at
enabling.

clay