Old 12-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Larry Alkoff

Default How to import bookmarks to Kubuntu 8.04

I maintain two 8.04 LTS computers, one in the US and the other in a
foreign country. I have never sorted the bookmarks so they are in the
original order on both computers.

How can I update the US computer with the latest bookmarks from the
foreign computer?

In the past I have simply taken the next bookmark after the last one on
the foreign computer (taken from a backup disk), and copyied that
bookmark to firefox on the US computer, then loaded and bookmarked it.
Repeat as many times as necessary.
This is kind of cumbersome.

Is there a better way?

Larry Alkoff

Old 12-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Bran Everseeking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:54:48 -0600
Larry Alkoff <labradley@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Is there a better way?

Firefox synch you may need to update the machines to the new lts to
make it available though.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday, December 10, 2010, Larry Alkoff wrote:

> I maintain two 8.04 LTS computers, one in the US and the other in a*

> foreign country.**I have never sorted the bookmarks so they are in the*

> original order on both computers.

> How can I update the US computer with the latest bookmarks from the*

> foreign computer?

Just copy the bookmarks.html file from the home directory.

/home/<user>/.mozilla/firefox/vdt4357z.default/bookmarks.html

Put it wherever you want.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Tom Bell

On 12/10/2010 5:54 PM, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I maintain two 8.04 LTS computers, one in the US and the other in a
> foreign country. I have never sorted the bookmarks so they are in the
> original order on both computers.
>
> How can I update the US computer with the latest bookmarks from the
> foreign computer?
>
> In the past I have simply taken the next bookmark after the last one on
> the foreign computer (taken from a backup disk), and copyied that
> bookmark to firefox on the US computer, then loaded and bookmarked it.
> Repeat as many times as necessary.
> This is kind of cumbersome.
>
> Is there a better way?
>
> Larry Alkoff

Yes, get the addon for Firefox, Sync.
Good luck!

Tom

--
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")

Old 12-11-2010, 12:05 AM
David Kuntadi

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Larry Alkoff <labradley@mindspring.com> wrote:
> This is kind of cumbersome.
>
> Is there a better way?

Maybe xmark:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410/

DK

Old 12-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Brian Wootton

On 11/12/10 01:02, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>> I maintain two 8.04 LTS computers, one in the US and the other in a
>> foreign country. I have never sorted the bookmarks so they are in the
>> original order on both computers.
>>
>> How can I update the US computer with the latest bookmarks from the
>> foreign computer?
>>
>> In the past I have simply taken the next bookmark after the last one on
>> the foreign computer (taken from a backup disk), and copyied that
>> bookmark to firefox on the US computer, then loaded and bookmarked it.
>> Repeat as many times as necessary.
>> This is kind of cumbersome.
>>
>> Is there a better way?
>>
>> Larry Alkoff
>>
> Yes, get the addon for Firefox, Sync.
> Good luck!
I use 'xmarks', it will keep bookmarks synced over all
http://www.xmarks.com/platforms, linux(es), window(s)
and mac(s) which I need in my home set-up. That's
http://www.xmarks.com/ and decide how you want to play your
machines' bookmarks.
brian

Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Tom Bell

On 12/10/2010 8:05 PM, David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Larry Alkoff<labradley@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> This is kind of cumbersome.
>>
>> Is there a better way?
> Maybe xmark:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410/
>
> DK

xmark is terminating its service Jan. 1 according to
the email they sent out.

Tom

Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 PM
gene heskett

On Sunday, December 12, 2010 05:42:30 pm Tom Bell did opine:

> On 12/10/2010 8:05 PM, David Kuntadi wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Larry Alkoff<labradley@mindspring.com>
wrote:
> >> This is kind of cumbersome.
> >>
> >> Is there a better way?
> >
> > Maybe xmark:
> > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410/
> >
> > DK
>
> xmark is terminating its service Jan. 1 according to
> the email they sent out.
>
> Tom

The only email I got from them was 2-3 months ago, thanking me for my small
donation and advising that the response was more than they expected and
that it would be continued for another year or more based on that. Do you
have an even newer msg to quote?

Open source is great, but many of its users need a strong lesson in
TANSTAAFL. If these folks can't pay the light and bandwidth bills because
we collectively are a bunch of cheapskates, well... We _will_ get what we
pay for. Economics 101 folks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Sunday 12 Dec 2010 22:50:52 gene heskett wrote:
> On Sunday, December 12, 2010 05:42:30 pm Tom Bell did opine:
>
> > On 12/10/2010 8:05 PM, David Kuntadi wrote:

> > > Maybe xmark:
> > > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410/
> > >
> > > DK
> >
> > xmark is terminating its service Jan. 1 according to
> > the email they sent out.

Google Chrome permits synchronising of just about everything between computers, without needing xmarks.

Mark

Old 12-13-2010, 03:21 AM
Errol Sapir

That was the case but now they have been purchased by "lastpass".
See url:
http://blog.xmarks.com/
Errol