Old 02-03-2008, 08:58 PM
"WANSTALL Malcolm"

Default Acer Travelmate 230

Please be kind, I've had next to no experience loading linux on laptops
and have Googled away but to no avail.

I loaded Kubuntu onto an old Acer Travelmate 230 (think it's an '03
model) via the Alternate CD because the live CD wouldn't load x
properly. When I try to boot up I get the screen flashing a few times
and then just goes to a blank screen (which I kinda expected). I can
Ctrl+Alt+F2 to the shell and login that way BUT I can only see the top
left hand 1/4 of the screen. The resolution looks to be okay but the
bottom half and right half of the screen isn't displaying anything which
means any commands I run I can't see the output (it's hidden in the
blank part of the screen).

I tried finding out about the video card with lspci but I can't see any
of the result. I'm stumped as to what to do but I'd really like to get
Kubuntu working on this lappy!

-Mal

Old 02-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Ranmadhu

WANSTALL Malcolm wrote:
> I tried finding out about the video card with lspci but I can't see any
> of the result. I'm stumped as to what to do but I'd really like to get
> Kubuntu working on this lappy!
>
> -Mal

Hi Mal,
If you want to see the output from the lspci command, you could redirect
the output to a file (using "lspci > temp").Then view the file using
less ("less temp"). This way you should be able to scroll through the
lspci output.

Cheers,
Ranmadhu

Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Ranmadhu

Ranmadhu wrote:
> WANSTALL Malcolm wrote:
>> I tried finding out about the video card with lspci but I can't see any
>> of the result. I'm stumped as to what to do but I'd really like to get
>> Kubuntu working on this lappy!
>>
>> -Mal
>>

> Hi Mal,
> If you want to see the output from the lspci command, you could
> redirect the output to a file (using "lspci > temp").Then view the
> file using less ("less temp"). This way you should be able to scroll
> through the lspci output.
>
> Cheers,
> Ranmadhu

Or "lscpi | less"