Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   USB Network Support? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/46373-usb-network-support.html)

Nils Kassube 02-03-2008 08:51 PM

USB Network Support?
 
Willis Taylor wrote:
> Bus 003 Device 004: ID 1630:0042 <this appears to be the
> 2Wire>
>
> I went first to the Ubuntu list and everyone centered on the device not
> being suitable for the task I wish to accomplish but ith the system
> working perfectly with computer #1 booted in Windows I just fail to see
> that as a valid statement. And when I was asked to post the lsusb
> results everyone just fell silent. Please help, I do not want to
> operate Windows any more.

If you google for that USB ID you will find it is not supported by Linux.
Therefore, you will should use a switch and connect the main machine to
the ethernet port. Other than that you could ask 2Wire for a Linux
driver, but probably you won't have much luck with that.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Jim 02-03-2008 09:42 PM

USB Network Support?
 
Willis Taylor wrote:
> I have Three computers on my LAN. The one I'm on right now is my test
> bed and it is running Ubuntu 7.10. It is connected to my 2Wire
> Router/modem, mod. 1000SW via NIC thru a Cat5e. This is unit number
> 2. Unit number 3 is running on WindowsXP connected to the 2Wire via a
> Home Phone Network Adapter that plugs to the computer in the USB ports.
>
> Unit number 1 is a problem. It is presently on a dual boot system
> with Kubuntu and Windows XP. Unit number one is connected to the
> 2Wire via the only Usb port on the 1000SW 2Wire modem/ router. If I
> boot the unit #1in Windows XP all three computers connect to the
> internet, at the same time, and they communicate via the LAN. If I
> boot unit #1 in Kubuntu, it will not communicate with any other device.
>
> The lsusb results are;
>
> First check with the 2Wire plugged in;
>
>
> willis@workgroup:~$ lsusb
>
> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04a9:10b6 Canon, Inc.
>
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 003 Device 004: ID 1630:0042 <this appears to be the 2Wire>
>
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05da:30d9 Microtek International, Inc.
>
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 047d:1022 Kensington
>
> Bus 002 Device 005: ID 06a3:0471 Saitek PLC
>
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp.
>
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. at43301 4-port Hub
>
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> After a hot swap;
>
> willis@workgroup:~$ lsusb
>
> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04a9:10b6 Canon, Inc.
>
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05da:30d9 Microtek International, Inc.
>
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 002 Device 007: ID 1630:0042 <...........................>
>
> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 047d:1022 Kensington
>
> Bus 002 Device 005: ID 06a3:0471 Saitek PLC
>
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp.
>
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. at43301 4-port Hub
>
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> With the device unplugged;
>
> willis@workgroup:~$ lsusb
>
> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04a9:10b6 Canon, Inc.
>
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05da:30d9 Microtek International, Inc.
>
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 047d:1022 Kensington
>
> Bus 002 Device 005: ID 06a3:0471 Saitek PLC
>
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp.
>
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. at43301 4-port Hub
>
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> With the 2Wire plugged back in;
>
> willis@workgroup:~$ lsusb
>
> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04a9:10b6 Canon, Inc.
>
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05da:30d9 Microtek International, Inc.
>
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Bus 002 Device 006: ID 047d:1022 Kensington
>
> Bus 002 Device 005: ID 06a3:0471 Saitek PLC
>
> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1630:0042
>
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp.
>
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. at43301 4-port Hub
>
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
>
> willis@workgroup:~$ lsusb
>
>
> I went first to the Ubuntu list and everyone centered on the device
> not being suitable for the task I wish to accomplish but ith the
> system working perfectly with computer #1 booted in Windows I just
> fail to see that as a valid statement. And when I was asked to post
> the lsusb results everyone just fell silent. Please help, I do not
> want to operate Windows any more
Ubuntu is only going to connect to the 2wire with a cat5-6/RJ45
ethernet cable, if your trying to connect ubuntu with usb,
It won't work.
Am I understanding that your trying to connect Ubuntu through a USB ?
If your dual booting XP/Ubuntu , use the ethernet cat 5 cable off of the
2Wire for both operating systems, it will work.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:43 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.