Old 11-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Donn

Default Setup woes

> Some of the programs work ok when accessed through the kde menu system, but
> not when typed in with the shell. Here's a typical example of the latter.
If you're trying to run stuff as root (like sudo kcontrol) then you can get
that kind of error. I still don't know how to fix it really. (Short of kdesu
kcontrol, but that's not really command line.)

Old 11-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Nils Kassube

Bill Vance wrote:
> Some of the programs work ok when accessed through the kde menu system,
> but not when typed in with the shell. Here's a typical example of the
> latter.
>
> xhost +
> Xlib: No protocol specified
> xhost: unable to open display ":0.0"

You are logged in as a different user (probably root) than the owner of
the display ":0.0". Only the owner of the display can grant access to it.
E.g. if you log in as bill and then start Konsole and enter the command
sudo su to have a root shell you can't start the xhost command you
mentioned above. And you shouldn't use / need it anyway because it is
dangerous if your machine is accessible via network. Use kdesu instead
to start a command with access to your display.

Nils

Old 11-25-2007, 06:23 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 25 November 2007, Donn wrote:

> If you're trying to run stuff as root (like sudo kcontrol) then you can get
> that kind of error. I still don't know how to fix it really. (Short of
> kdesu kcontrol, but that's not really command line.)

I'm not making a statement one way or the other about what is or is not good
practice.

I only offer mention of the sux command:

sux - wrapper around su which will transfer your X credentials
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Derek Broughton

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On Sunday 25 November 2007, Donn wrote:
>
>> If you're trying to run stuff as root (like sudo kcontrol) then you can
>> get that kind of error. I still don't know how to fix it really. (Short
>> of kdesu kcontrol, but that's not really command line.)

Well, "kcontrol" isn't command line either, so I highly recommend using
kdesu/kdesudo rather than sudo to invoke gui apps. If you're going to be
doing that sort of thing...

> I'm not making a statement one way or the other about what is or is not
> good practice.
>
> I only offer mention of the sux command:
>
> sux - wrapper around su which will transfer your X credentials

Not that I'd make a statement about good practice either :-), but it should
be noted that this is a wrapper around _su_, not _sudo_, so you don't get
the benefits of sudo.
--
derek

Old 11-26-2007, 02:52 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

> Not that I'd make a statement about good practice either :-), but it should
> be noted that this is a wrapper around _su_, not _sudo_, so you don't get
> the benefits of sudo.

sudo sux

Not that I'm recommending this EVIL practice, because everyone who uses it
will go straight to HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

But for the people who are already damned because they don't see things the
same way as Uncle Donny (asshole) they might consider doing something like

sudo sux
kcontrol

if they want to burn in Hell for all eternity (like Uncle Donny the asshole).
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 25 November 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> if they want to burn in Hell for all eternity (like Uncle Donny the
> asshole).

NOTE TO DONNY IN SOUTH AFRICA: I'm not talking about you. Chill out.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 11-26-2007, 03:07 AM
Donn

Old 11-26-2007, 03:09 AM
Donn

> NOTE TO DONNY IN SOUTH AFRICA: I'm not talking about you. Chill out.

(Phew)

Old 11-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Bill Vance

Thanks gang, Now I don't need xhost anymore. Got another problem, though.

Anyone know where KDE puts it's error messages? I tried to use Adept manager
from the menu, and got a small window with, "Error - KDE su", across the top,
and a panel with, "Su returned with an error", in it. unfortunately, the,
"?", help button wasn't helpful about just what the error was.

Bill

On Sun Nov 25 13:28:17 2007 Derek Broughton wrote:

>D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 25 November 2007, Donn wrote:
>>
>>> If you're trying to run stuff as root (like sudo kcontrol) then you can
>>> get that kind of error. I still don't know how to fix it really. (Short
>>> of kdesu kcontrol, but that's not really command line.)
>
>Well, "kcontrol" isn't command line either, so I highly recommend using
>kdesu/kdesudo rather than sudo to invoke gui apps. If you're going to be
>doing that sort of thing...
>>
>> I'm not making a statement one way or the other about what is or is not
>> good practice.
>>
>> I only offer mention of the sux command:
>>
>> sux - wrapper around su which will transfer your X credentials
>
>Not that I'd make a statement about good practice either :-), but it should
>be noted that this is a wrapper around _su_, not _sudo_, so you don't get
>the benefits of sudo.
>--
>derek

* *
RKBA! * Blessings on thee, oh Israel!!! * 4-19!
* *

An _EFFECTIVE_ | Insured by | All Matter is vibration. | Let he who hath no
weapon in every | by Colt; | --Max Planck | weapon, sell his
hand = Freedom | Dial | In the beginning was the | garment, and buy a
on every side!! | 1-911-A1 | Word. --The Holy Bible | sword. --Jesus Christ

Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Donn

> Anyone know where KDE puts it's error messages?
Sounds like that new "Invisible pixel" (TM) technology is working!

> I tried to use Adept manager from the menu, and got a small window
with, "Error - KDE su",
Did you just go K->System->Adept?

> unfortunately, the, "?", help button wasn't helpful about just what the
> error was.
No, no. That button is there to *get* you puzzled. See it says "?"

Okay, sorry for being useless -- I hope your sudo is not busted somehow. Open
a konsole and try [sudo ls /] or something, just to make sure sudo is okay.