Old 11-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Default Setup woes

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

>> Not that I'd make a statement about good practice either :-), but it
>> should be noted that this is a wrapper around _su_, not _sudo_, so you
>> don't get the benefits of sudo.
>
> sudo sux
>
> Not that I'm recommending this EVIL practice, because everyone who uses it
> will go straight to HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
>
> But for the people who are already damned because they don't see things
> the same way as Uncle Donny (asshole) they might consider doing something
> like

???? Somebody might want to cut down on the caffeine...

> sudo sux
> kcontrol

Is that going to work? I don't use sux, but isn't the X authorization
forwarding already broken by "sudo"?
--
derek

Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Derek Broughton

Bill Vance wrote:

> Thanks gang, Now I don't need xhost anymore. Got another problem, though.
>
> Anyone know where KDE puts it's error messages? I tried to use Adept

All messages should be in one (or more) of:
~/.xsession_errors
/var/log/kdm.log
/var/log/Xorg.*.log (* is the display number)
--
derek

Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Bill Vance

Ok, I tried, "sudo ls", and got:

sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0740, should be 0440

I've allways steered clear of using the number modes, as I've never seen a
list of which ones are what. I've noted that none of the /etc files seem to
be editable, "out of the box", but I don't know if that's what the problem
is here; I.e., If it's the same problem, or part of another. Anyone got
any clues?

Bill

On Mon Nov 26 03:09:59 2007 Donn wrote:

>> Anyone know where KDE puts it's error messages?
>Sounds like that new "Invisible pixel" (TM) technology is working!
>
>> I tried to use Adept manager from the menu, and got a small window
>with, "Error - KDE su",
>Did you just go K->System->Adept?
>
>> unfortunately, the, "?", help button wasn't helpful about just what the
>> error was.
>No, no. That button is there to *get* you puzzled. See it says "?"
>
>Okay, sorry for being useless -- I hope your sudo is not busted somehow. Open
>a konsole and try [sudo ls /] or something, just to make sure sudo is okay.

* *
RKBA! * Blessings on thee, oh Israel!!! * 4-19!
* *

An _EFFECTIVE_ | Insured by | All Matter is vibration. | Let he who hath no
weapon in every | by Colt; | --Max Planck | weapon, sell his
hand = Freedom | Dial | In the beginning was the | garment, and buy a
on every side!! | 1-911-A1 | Word. --The Holy Bible | sword. --Jesus Christ

Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Nils Kassube

Bill Vance wrote:
> Ok, I tried, "sudo ls", and got:
>
> sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0740, should be 0440

As you can't use the sudo command any more, I think you should boot to
recovery mode now. Then change the permissions of /etc/sudoers to 0440
like this:

chmod 440 /etc/sudoers

After that the sudo command is available again.

> I've allways steered clear of using the number modes, as I've never
> seen a list of which ones are what.

The last 3 digits are the permissions for owner / group / world. Each
digit is a sum of the values of the permission bits:

- 1 for executable
- 2 for writable
- 4 for readable

If the number is 4 digits, the first digit specifies special flags like
directory.

Therefore the above mentioned modes are:

0740 = readable + executable for the owner and readable for the group
0440 = readable for owner and group

> I've noted that none of the /etc
> files seem to be editable, "out of the box",

That's because files in /etc are usually owned by root and are not
writable for "normal" users.

> but I don't know if that's
> what the problem is here; I.e., If it's the same problem, or part of
> another.

The /etc/sudoers permissions problem only disables the use of the sudo
command. If that is fixed, you can edit files in /etc as root but still
not as "normal" user - but that is normal behaviour anyway and not a
problem.

Nils

Old 11-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Mike Leone

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Bill Vance wrote:
>> Ok, I tried, "sudo ls", and got:
>>
>> sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0740, should be 0440
>
> As you can't use the sudo command any more, I think you should boot to
> recovery mode now.

That's one of the reasons why I always put a password on "root", and use
"su". YMMV.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Bill Vance wrote:

PLEASE don't top post. How are we supposed to have a conversation? (maybe
I should just make this my .sig...)

> Ok, I tried, "sudo ls", and got:
>
> sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0740, should be 0440
>
> I've allways steered clear of using the number modes, as I've never seen a
> list of which ones are what.

So, just create a file in /tmp and change the mode to both of those. It's
easy enough to seem what they mean. otoh, "man chmod" almost certainly
tells you.

> I've noted that none of the /etc files seem
> to be editable, "out of the box", but I don't know if that's what the
> problem

None of them should be "editable" (by you as a normal user) but they are
generally readable. Anything to do with passwords and granting system
privilege is not readable, and in this case not even
writeable. /etc/sudoers is specifically not writeable to enforce using
visudo to edit it.

> is here; I.e., If it's the same problem, or part of another. Anyone got
> any clues?

Obviously, that _is_ your problem - why would you not automatically assume
that when you get an error message trying "sudo" that that is the problem
with "sudo"? I suspect your only option to fix this now is to boot into
single user mode and "chmod 0440 /etc/sudoers", since you can't become root
with an invalid /etc/sudoers. In future, _never_ try to
change /etc/sudoers except through visudo (because you don't know how to
use 'vi' is not a good enough excuse - visudo will use the editor of your
choice if you set up the editor and editorrc alternatives).
--
derek

Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Derek Broughton

Mike Leone wrote:

> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Bill Vance wrote:
>>> Ok, I tried, "sudo ls", and got:
>>>
>>> sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0740, should be 0440
>>
>> As you can't use the sudo command any more, I think you should boot to
>> recovery mode now.
>
> That's one of the reasons why I always put a password on "root", and use
> "su". YMMV.

Pretty weak. He only got this way by doing things he shouldn't - so you'd
like to make it easier to do things you shouldn't...
--
derek

Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Mike Leone

Derek Broughton (news@pointerstop.ca) had this to say on 11/27/07 at 10:35:
> Mike Leone wrote:
>
> > Nils Kassube wrote:

> >> As you can't use the sudo command any more, I think you should boot to
> >> recovery mode now.
> >
> > That's one of the reasons why I always put a password on "root", and use
> > "su". YMMV.
>
> Pretty weak. He only got this way by doing things he shouldn't - so you'd
> like to make it easier to do things you shouldn't...

"Shouldn't"? Using "su" is pretty standard Linux practice. And everyone should have
the freedom to run their system the way they like, don't you think?
Otherwise, that's pretty weak. If they want to do things only the Ubuntu
way, fine. If they want to do things other ways, also fine.

You don't *have* to follow all things the Ubuntu way, if you don't want to.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Bill Vance

Derek Broughton (news@pointerstop.ca) had this to say on 11/27/07 at 10:35:

>> Mike Leone wrote:

>> > That's one of the reasons why I always put a password on "root", and use
>> > "su". YMMV.
>>
>> Pretty weak. He only got this way by doing things he shouldn't - so you'd
>> like to make it easier to do things you shouldn't...
>
>"Shouldn't"? Using "su" is pretty standard Linux practice. And everyone should have
>the freedom to run their system the way they like, don't you think?
>Otherwise, that's pretty weak. If they want to do things only the Ubuntu
>way, fine. If they want to do things other ways, also fine.
>
>You don't *have* to follow all things the Ubuntu way, if you don't want to.

Which brings up something I've been noticing. I've gone through running an
Amiga dos UUCP site with a Unix style shell, to three upgrades of Caldera
Linux, to one of SUSE, and now Kubuntu. While the past systems, (and Kubuntu
as well), all had a bit of a learning curve, this is the first time I've got
the feeling of, "We're not going to let you do this, just because we don't
like it that way, so there!" Then I noticed that the system tends to lose
track of who is doing what when one of the available shells is being run by
"root". In other words, you can't do a really long, complex, job of some sort
as root, and take an occaisional email break, (or whatever), in another shell
as, "user", without things getting a little kinky. I'll refrain from trying to
deduce which is caused by which, (maybe it's something else, entirely).

Don't get me wrong, Kubuntu seems a fine system in a lot of ways, but I can't
quite shake the feeling that, "someone up there", needs to take the training
wheels off their tricycle.

Bill

* *

Old 11-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Derek Broughton

Mike Leone wrote:

> Derek Broughton (news@pointerstop.ca) had this to say on 11/27/07 at
> 10:35:
>> Mike Leone wrote:

>> > That's one of the reasons why I always put a password on "root", and
>> > use "su". YMMV.
>>
>> Pretty weak. He only got this way by doing things he shouldn't - so
>> you'd like to make it easier to do things you shouldn't...
>
> "Shouldn't"? Using "su" is pretty standard Linux practice.

That's not what caused his problem. Simply using sudo or su doesn't mess up
the permissions on /etc/sudoers. Somebody had to have done that ...

> And everyone
> should have the freedom to run their system the way they like, don't you
> think?

Of course they should - I just don't think it's a good idea to advise
somebody to bypass a good security feature when they aren't doing very well
with security in the first place. Rebooting in single-user mode after
screwing up sudoers is a _very_ small price to pay.

> You don't *have* to follow all things the Ubuntu way, if you don't want
> to.

You certainly don't, but you don't have to offer a suicidal person a rope
with a pre-made noose, either.
--
derek