Old 02-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default MP4 conversion app - resolution size - Solved!

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Nigel Ridley <nigel@rmk.co.il> writes:
>>
>>> My daughter just bought an MP4 player but when I try to play video
>>> clips (any of the formats that the player recognizes) that I have
>>> successfully copied from my Feisty box, I get an error message:
>>>
>>> 'File Format Error'
>>>
>>> Somebody told me it's because the video clip's resolution is too big.
>> It could be.
>>
>>> Is there an app that will reduce the resolution size of said clips?
>> ffmpeg, mencoder, transcode, and a host of similar tools. Try avidemux
>> if your release contains it, which has a nice GUI interface to this sort
>> of thing.
>>
>>> Is this the answer?
>> No idea. It could be, but you have not provided anything like enough
>> detail for us to know. Assuming that the device doesn't produce a
>> helpful error in addition to that particular one ... try it and find
>> out.
>>
>> Also useful: try putting some video on there using the supplied Windows
>> tool, if possible, then extract it to your Feisty system. That should
>> give some more information about what is done to the video on the way
>> through.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Daniel
>
> I tried the avidemux app but couldn't see any way of reducing/converting.
>
> I did a google of the problem and there are a ton of folks with the same
> problem. The answer is to use a convert tool but I can't find anything
> for Linux (there was one but it seems like it's just for 'psp'.
>
> There is this one:
> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/Tools/avi-and-mp4-converter-32163.shtml
> but I'm not sure how much Gnome stuff I will need.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Replying to myself here:

I found the following page to be very helpful:
http://tom.zickel.org/vlcmp4/

It walks you through setting VLC to convert videos to .mp4 (specifically
for personal MP4 players).
I installed it [sudo apt-get install vlc] and following said
instructions have successfully loaded several youtube videos onto my
daughters MP4 player (I used the "Fast Video Download" Firefox extension).

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries