Old 12-05-2010, 01:16 AM
shawn wilson

Default nox

not sure how topical this is for this mailing list but i figured that since i subscribe here, i'd post and see what i got...

i've installed a debian system that i want to keep as minimal as possible. however, i try to install most things and it wants to install x and friends as dependencies on. how do i keep apt-get from installing any type of guy?

i know i can do this with ports, but it's been a while since i've tried to setup a debian server and google-foo is failing me (everything i'm pulling up are problems with x and not problems staying away from x - ironic ).

Old 12-05-2010, 01:52 AM
shawn wilson

btw, i found apt-get -nodeps, but is there a config file or some way to make sure that certain packages aren't installed when i go to dist-upgrade or something similar?

Old 12-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Doug

On 12/4/2010 9:16 PM, shawn wilson wrote:
> not sure how topical this is for this mailing list but i figured that
> since i subscribe here, i'd post and see what i got...
>
> i've installed a debian system that i want to keep as minimal as
> possible. however, i try to install most things and it wants to install
> x and friends as dependencies on. how do i keep apt-get from installing
> any type of guy?
>
> i know i can do this with ports, but it's been a while since i've tried
> to setup a debian server and google-foo is failing me (everything i'm
> pulling up are problems with x and not problems staying away from x -
> ironic ).

I suppose this is obvious, but why not ask on the Debian list? You can
join them for free.
debian-user@lists.debian.org
You'll have to register, or course.

-doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 AM
shawn wilson

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

On 12/4/2010 9:16 PM, shawn wilson wrote:

> not sure how topical this is for this mailing list but i figured that

> since i subscribe here, i'd post and see what i got...

> i've installed a debian system that i want to keep as minimal as

> possible. however, i try to install most things and it wants to install

> x and friends as dependencies on. how do i keep apt-get from installing

> any type of guy?

> i know i can do this with ports, but it's been a while since i've tried

> to setup a debian server and google-foo is failing me (everything i'm

> pulling up are problems with x and not problems staying away from x -

> ironic ).

I suppose this is obvious, but why not ask on the Debian list? You can

join them for free.

* * * * * * * * * *debian-user@lists.debian.org

You'll have to register, or course.

thanks, i just did that.

i was hoping there was an easy solution for this and it's sorta a dpkg / apt-get issue so i figured it'd apply here as well.

btw, i was wrong on the apt-get switch, there's a dependency switch for
dpkg but not apt-get and i'm still stuck with either no ssh or x
libraries...

*
-doug

Old 12-05-2010, 05:16 AM
shawn wilson

btw, from the debian-user list; xauth is a recommended dependency of openssh-server which can be disabled when using apt-get with the --no-install-recommends option.