Old 02-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Sam Fielder

Default using amarok with multiple configurations?

does anyone know if it is possible to start amarok with different
profiles/configurations?

my music is stored on my server at home. I am syncing a playlist to a SD
card on my laptop so i can listen while I am away. Every time I come
home after listening to the music on the SD card the database is blank.
(no history etc.)

can i start amarok with different configs via the command line?

also is it possible to combine statistics from the SD card into the main
database

sam

Old 02-03-2008, 08:45 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Sam Fielder said the following at 02/03/2008 09:44 AM :
> does anyone know if it is possible to start amarok with different
> profiles/configurations?
>
> my music is stored on my server at home. I am syncing a playlist to a SD
> card on my laptop so i can listen while I am away. Every time I come
> home after listening to the music on the SD card the database is blank.
> (no history etc.)
>
> can i start amarok with different configs via the command line?
>
> also is it possible to combine statistics from the SD card into the main
> database

You probably should ask these questions on the amarok forum.

FWIW:

1. There is no mention of anything like this on the amarok man page,
although I'm not at all clear on what you mean by "configuration".

2. I think that the answer is "not without some tricky database
programming". (Basically because amarok regards a track as being different
if it's on different devices.)

Doc

Old 02-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Sam Fielder

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Sam Fielder said the following at 02/03/2008 09:44 AM :
>
>> does anyone know if it is possible to start amarok with different
>> profiles/configurations?
>>
>> my music is stored on my server at home. I am syncing a playlist to a SD
>> card on my laptop so i can listen while I am away. Every time I come
>> home after listening to the music on the SD card the database is blank.
>> (no history etc.)
>>
>> can i start amarok with different configs via the command line?
>>
>> also is it possible to combine statistics from the SD card into the main
>> database
>>

> You probably should ask these questions on the amarok forum.
>
> FWIW:
>
> 1. There is no mention of anything like this on the amarok man page,
> although I'm not at all clear on what you mean by "configuration".
>
> 2. I think that the answer is "not without some tricky database
> programming". (Basically because amarok regards a track as being different
> if it's on different devices.)
>
> Doc

which amarok forum?

thanks

Old 02-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Sam Fielder

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Sam Fielder said the following at 02/03/2008 09:44 AM :
>
>> does anyone know if it is possible to start amarok with different
>> profiles/configurations?
>>
>> my music is stored on my server at home. I am syncing a playlist to a SD
>> card on my laptop so i can listen while I am away. Every time I come
>> home after listening to the music on the SD card the database is blank.
>> (no history etc.)
>>
>> can i start amarok with different configs via the command line?
>>
>> also is it possible to combine statistics from the SD card into the main
>> database
>>

> You probably should ask these questions on the amarok forum.
>
> FWIW:
>
> 1. There is no mention of anything like this on the amarok man page,
> although I'm not at all clear on what you mean by "configuration".
>
> 2. I think that the answer is "not without some tricky database
> programming". (Basically because amarok regards a track as being different
> if it's on different devices.)
>
> Doc

Oh, what I would like to do is start amarok when I am away with a
different db. this would get me around the worst part of the problem(the
"full"database being overwritten with the info from the sd card when I
listen away from home), but would also let me potentially merge the two
databases and keep a track of all of my listening history.

thanks again

sam

Old 02-04-2008, 03:14 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Sun 3 February 2008 23:25, Sam Fielder wrote:
> which amarok forum?
>
> thanks

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Thomas Olsen

Chapter 1 The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This
has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad
move. -- Douglas Adams, HHGG #2, (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe).

Old 02-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Chris Gow

On Sunday 03 February 2008 17:30:17 Sam Fielder wrote:
> D. R. Evans wrote:
> > Sam Fielder said the following at 02/03/2008 09:44 AM :
> >> does anyone know if it is possible to start amarok with different
> >> profiles/configurations?
> >>
> >> my music is stored on my server at home. I am syncing a playlist to a SD
> >> card on my laptop so i can listen while I am away. Every time I come
> >> home after listening to the music on the SD card the database is blank.
> >> (no history etc.)
> >>
> >> can i start amarok with different configs via the command line?
> >>
> >> also is it possible to combine statistics from the SD card into the main
> >> database
> >
> > You probably should ask these questions on the amarok forum.
> >
> > FWIW:
> >
> > 1. There is no mention of anything like this on the amarok man page,
> > although I'm not at all clear on what you mean by "configuration".
> >
> > 2. I think that the answer is "not without some tricky database
> > programming". (Basically because amarok regards a track as being
> > different if it's on different devices.)
> >
> > Doc
>
> Oh, what I would like to do is start amarok when I am away with a
> different db. this would get me around the worst part of the problem(the
> "full"database being overwritten with the info from the sd card when I
> listen away from home), but would also let me potentially merge the two
> databases and keep a track of all of my listening history.
I don't think that there is a switch that will allow you to switch databases.
However one option to simulate what you want would be to create two databases
one for your SD and the other for home. In order to merge the two you'd need
to write some database scripts as the previous poster mentions.

Dunno if that will change in the Amarok 2 releases

-- chris

Old 02-04-2008, 03:45 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Chris Gow said the following at 02/04/2008 05:38 AM :

>> Oh, what I would like to do is start amarok when I am away with a
>> different db. this would get me around the worst part of the problem(the
>> "full"database being overwritten with the info from the sd card when I
>> listen away from home), but would also let me potentially merge the two
>> databases and keep a track of all of my listening history.
> I don't think that there is a switch that will allow you to switch databases.
> However one option to simulate what you want would be to create two databases
> one for your SD and the other for home. In order to merge the two you'd need
> to write some database scripts as the previous poster mentions.

Right.

I would write a small script that simply renames the two databases so that
the right one is selected. amarok will always use the database called
"collection.db", so the script would just make sure that the correct
database has that name before starting amarok.

> Dunno if that will change in the Amarok 2 releases

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.

It does seem like an easy thing to implement; it can't be more than a few
lines of code.

Doc