Old 12-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Default Activities

Am Samstag 04 Dezember 2010, um 04:10:42 schrieb Lindsay Mathieson:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 12:37:32 PM Clay Weber wrote:
> > as far as I can decipher is that Activities are more a subset of virtual
> > desktops........or was that the other way 'round???
> >
> > I have seen nothing that shows how they are different from each other,
> > outside of separate widgets on each (not including panels for some
> > reason)
>
> Actually I've now discovered that you can have different widgets and
> backgrounds for different virtual screens:
>
> System Settings|Workspace Behaviour|Virtual Desktops
> - Check "Different Widgets for Each Desktop"
>
> So you can:
> - Have different Widgets etc for each desktop
>
> - Name each desktop
>
> - Easy switch between them with the Keyboard Interface
>
> - The Pager widget looks excellent vertical or horizontal. I have mine with
> 4 Desktops, 1 Column in a auto hide vertical panel - its very usable.
>
> - Session management remembers which app is in which desktop when
> restarting
>
> - Its *stable*
>

> *Really* not seeing the point of activities now.

Actually, you're using activities - that option simply creates a different
activity for each desktop. A pretty annoying "feature" as it uses enormous
amounts of resources and you have to maintain the widgets for each desktop
separately (each widget uses it's own share of RAM and CPU, making the desktop
*really* slow in the long run).

Also, as Mark pointed out and I forgot: you can assign windows to different
activities, which adds an extra layer of usefulness to them.

--Reinhold

Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 01:46:38 PM Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> Actually, you're using activities - that option simply creates a different
> activity for each desktop.

Are you sure? an instance of the Activity Manager does not show them
--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Old 12-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Samstag 04 Dezember 2010, um 05:21:31 schrieb Lindsay Mathieson:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 01:46:38 PM Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > Actually, you're using activities - that option simply creates a
> > different activity for each desktop.
>
> Are you sure? an instance of the Activity Manager does not show them

After reading it in some bug report about a hundred times, yes, I am sure. You
could try unticking the option and see whether they're shown then, but maybe
they've just been hidden in one of the last few releases. Or maybe the
Activities manager is just buggier than you'd expect...
All I know for certain is, that I'm not using that hack with my 7 virtual
desktops as I actually need some memory to run proper programs...

--Reinhold
PS: BTW, the bug report I'm referring to is that big one about being able to
have individual wallpapers for each virtual desktop.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Saturday 04 December 2010 03:43:32 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Saturday 04 Dec 2010 02:24:22 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> > Keep trying but I just can't see the point of activities, they don't
> > appear to bring anything to the table that Virtual Screen didn't, apart
> > from the ability to have different widgets on different screens -
> > whoopdy doo.
> >
> > I have yet to see a concise description of what activities are or a
> > decent tutorial.
>
> I've yet to see that either, but here's what I use them for:

As far as I can see you can use Activities just as (or better than) Virtual
Desktops if:

- There was an "Activity Pager" just like the VD pager.

- The task manager had a setting "Only show tasks from the current Activity".

- There was an indication somewhere/how on which Activity you are currently
using.

And most likely some more things needed. The Activities needs a few more
development iterations before they become useful at least for me.

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Dropbox and my thumb drive had an epic battle. Dropbox won.
http://db.tt/T0p6d6L

Old 12-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Saturday 04 December 2010 04:46:38 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> Actually, you're using activities - that option simply creates a different
> activity for each desktop. A pretty annoying "feature" as it uses enormous
> amounts of resources and you have to maintain the widgets for each desktop
> separately (each widget uses it's own share of RAM and CPU, making the
> desktop *really* slow in the long run).

Are you saying that it uses (significantly) more resources to have X number of
VD's with each their Activity, wallpaper and set of Widgets, than to use only
one desktop with X number of Activities and each their wallpaper and set of
Widgets?

Old 12-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 08:19:31 PM Thomas Olsen wrote:
> - The task manager had a setting "Only show tasks from the current
> Activity".

That is an option in the 4.,6 Beta, I haven't tested it though.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Saturday 04 December 2010 11:39:23 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 08:19:31 PM Thomas Olsen wrote:
> > - The task manager had a setting "Only show tasks from the current
> >
> > Activity".
>
> That is an option in the 4.,6 Beta, I haven't tested it though.

Good news. Looking forward to that.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Samstag 04 Dezember 2010, um 11:30:41 schrieb Thomas Olsen:
> On Saturday 04 December 2010 04:46:38 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > Actually, you're using activities - that option simply creates a
> > different activity for each desktop. A pretty annoying "feature" as it
> > uses enormous amounts of resources and you have to maintain the widgets
> > for each desktop separately (each widget uses it's own share of RAM and
> > CPU, making the desktop *really* slow in the long run).
>
> Are you saying that it uses (significantly) more resources to have X number
> of VD's with each their Activity, wallpaper and set of Widgets, than to
> use only one desktop with X number of Activities and each their wallpaper
> and set of Widgets?

In both cases you have X activities, which is kind of what I'm trying to
avoid. Additional activities suck resources and I only need four for all of my
seven desktops (one of them I could probably scrap as I never really use it).
No need to have seven activities guzzle up resources.

(To answer your question: it's the activities that are the resource hogs.
Varying the amount of desktops isn't going to do a lot.)

--Reinhold

Old 12-04-2010, 02:49 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Lindsay Mathieson said the following at 12/03/2010 08:10 PM :

> - The Pager widget looks excellent vertical or horizontal. I have mine with 4
> Desktops, 1 Column in a auto hide vertical panel - its very usable.

I have to disagree there. In KDE3, one could tell at a glance which
applications were running on which desktop; in KDE4 this is true only if
the applications are maximized. Otherwise there are just little grey boxes
in the pager, so one can no longer tell which applications are running
where. I find this a serious usability issue.

(Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that... a nearly-maximised
application is still properly represented as an icon, so it seems that
there for non-maximised applications is a size-of-application threshold
below which the icon is replaced by a grey rectangle, but the threshhold is
set higher in KDE4 than it was in KDE3.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 01:49:44 AM D. R. Evans wrote:
> I have to disagree there. In KDE3, one could tell at a glance which
> applications were running on which desktop; in KDE4 this is true only if
> the applications are maximized.

Interesting, all I'm seeing in 4.6 is grey boxes, no matter what the size, or
an App Icon if I enable that.

> Otherwise there are just little grey boxes
> in the pager, so one can no longer tell which applications are running
> where. I find this a serious usability issue.

Mileage varies I guess, I never used that feature at all. Which I guess is the
difficulty for the developers Everyone uses their desktop differently.