Old 12-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

Default KMail 4.6 Beta

Anyone know why kmail is stuck at 4.4.7 in the KDE 4.6 Beta? I thought the new
Akonadi based KMail was to be released in KDE 4.6

Was looking forward to testing it
--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Old 12-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Clay Weber

On Friday, December 03, 2010 05:25:54 PM Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> Anyone know why kmail is stuck at 4.4.7 in the KDE 4.6 Beta? I thought the
> new Akonadi based KMail was to be released in KDE 4.6
>
> Was looking forward to testing it

KDE 4.6 is not final, yet

Kdepim development kinda has it's own development track so it may not be there
until later in the game. I am not exactly sure if Kontact 4.6 will actually be
ready for kde 4.6, or that Kubuntu (and others, I am sure) will not provide it
by default just yet.

there is a ppa for the latest beta
https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/experimental
Dunno if it is compatible with kde 4.6, however

http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/459702-kontact-testing-
kolabsys.html
This seem to suggest that we may be seeing an enhanced version ready for Kolab
integration.

clay

Old 12-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 11:39:18 AM Clay Weber wrote:
> KDE 4.6 is not final, yet

I thought the whole point of the beta was to test stuff? how on earth are we
going to get any real user testing of KMail 4.6 if its not in the 4.6 beta?

> Kdepim development kinda has it's own development track so it may not be
> there until later in the game. I am not exactly sure if Kontact 4.6 will
> actually be ready for kde 4.6, or that Kubuntu (and others, I am sure)
> will not provide it by default just yet.

As far as I'm aware from the kdepim dev list the current release plan for the
Akonadi KMail is KDE 4.6

> there is a ppa for the latest beta
> https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/experimental
> Dunno if it is compatible with kde 4.6, however

Thanks, think I'll skip it as the KDE packages are 4.5.1

> http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/459702-kontact-testing-
> kolabsys.html
> This seem to suggest that we may be seeing an enhanced version ready for
> Kolab integration.

If I can ever get a kolab server working one day I might give that a spin ....

Cheers,

Old 12-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Clay Weber

On Friday, December 03, 2010 09:08:17 PM Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 11:39:18 AM Clay Weber wrote:
> > KDE 4.6 is not final, yet
>
> I thought the whole point of the beta was to test stuff? how on earth are
> we going to get any real user testing of KMail 4.6 if its not in the 4.6
> beta?
kdepim is developed rather separately from kde, so they don't 'match up'
always, confusing and annoying as that is. So for that reason, those apps are
not necessarily included in the official releases of KDE itself.

If Kubuntu do not plan to put kdepim 4.6 into natty, then it won't be building
it in the normal channels. But do expect packages for it - I believe someone
may already be working on it.

> > Kdepim development kinda has it's own development track so it may not be
> > there until later in the game. I am not exactly sure if Kontact 4.6 will
> > actually be ready for kde 4.6, or that Kubuntu (and others, I am sure)
> > will not provide it by default just yet.
>
> As far as I'm aware from the kdepim dev list the current release plan for
> the Akonadi KMail is KDE 4.6

But they have not produced any new betas since September

> > there is a ppa for the latest beta
> > https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/experimental
> > Dunno if it is compatible with kde 4.6, however
>
> Thanks, think I'll skip it as the KDE packages are 4.5.1

if you have kde 4.6, it won't downgrade you to 4.5 though I suspect there
may be some dependency conflicts that may keep it from being installed.

> > http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/459702-kontact-testing-
> > kolabsys.html
> > This seem to suggest that we may be seeing an enhanced version ready for
> > Kolab integration.
>
> If I can ever get a kolab server working one day I might give that a spin

the kolab, um, collaboration, may make Kontact a bit more robust and stable,
much like they did on the old KDE3 Kontact "enterprise" version.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Clay Weber

from http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.6-beta-1

"These packages will break if you have KDE PIM 4.6 beta packages installed. Do
not use in this case. Updates KDE PIM 4.6 beta packages will be available
soon."

clay

Old 12-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 12:47:38 PM Clay Weber wrote:
> from http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.6-beta-1
>
> "These packages will break if you have KDE PIM 4.6 beta packages installed.
> Do not use in this case. Updates KDE PIM 4.6 beta packages will be
> available soon."
>
> clay

Thanks clay, that's good to know