Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 AM
GeraldCC

Default USB k/M

Hi to all,
Could anyone explain, why, on some machines the USB K/M (Keyboard/Mouse) is
lost when they are switched to another machine then switched back? (with a KVM
USB switch)
I have 2 machines where this happens.
Gerald

Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 AM
GeraldCC

On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 02:10:37 pm GeraldCC wrote:
> Hi to all,
> Could anyone explain, why, on some machines the USB K/M (Keyboard/Mouse) is
> lost when they are switched to another machine then switched back? (with a
> KVM USB switch)
> I have 2 machines where this happens.
> Gerald
Hi once more,
The machine has been running for about 3 hours and the mouse and keyboard has
disappeared.
Any thoughts,
Gerald

Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Mark Greenwood

On Wednesday 01 Dec 2010 04:10:37 GeraldCC wrote:
> Hi to all,
> Could anyone explain, why, on some machines the USB K/M (Keyboard/Mouse) is
> lost when they are switched to another machine then switched back? (with a KVM
> USB switch)
> I have 2 machines where this happens.
> Gerald

It's probably your KVM switch that is at fault. I've had this at work with several of the USB KVM switches we used. When replaced with a more expensive, better specced switch the problem went away. It did only affect certain models of PC but I'm pretty sure it's hardware related and has nothing to do with the OS because I've seen the BIOS complain about having no keyboard.

Mark

Old 12-02-2010, 02:55 AM
GeraldCC

On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 09:31:35 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 Dec 2010 04:10:37 GeraldCC wrote:
> > Hi to all,
> > Could anyone explain, why, on some machines the USB K/M (Keyboard/Mouse)
> > is lost when they are switched to another machine then switched back?
> > (with a KVM USB switch)
> > I have 2 machines where this happens.
> > Gerald
>
> It's probably your KVM switch that is at fault. I've had this at work with
> several of the USB KVM switches we used. When replaced with a more
> expensive, better specced switch the problem went away. It did only affect
> certain models of PC but I'm pretty sure it's hardware related and has
> nothing to do with the OS because I've seen the BIOS complain about having
> no keyboard.
>
> Mark
Hi Mark,
I have tried a lot of software on this machine and have decided that it IS
software related.
It appears to be related to the version of the kernel that is running, OR the
raid system I am trying to get on the system.
This board has had a lot of problems with Ram and Sound and E-sata port.
It has spent more time being fixed than running and I suspect that it still has
a problem although I don't yet know what it is.
I am now about to retry all the software but on a single drive and see if it
works then!!!
Many thanks for coming back.
Gerald

Old 12-02-2010, 05:20 AM
GeraldCC

On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 09:31:35 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 Dec 2010 04:10:37 GeraldCC wrote:
> > Hi to all,
> > Could anyone explain, why, on some machines the USB K/M (Keyboard/Mouse)
> > is lost when they are switched to another machine then switched back?
> > (with a KVM USB switch)
> > I have 2 machines where this happens.
> > Gerald
>
> It's probably your KVM switch that is at fault. I've had this at work with
> several of the USB KVM switches we used. When replaced with a more
> expensive, better specced switch the problem went away. It did only affect
> certain models of PC but I'm pretty sure it's hardware related and has
> nothing to do with the OS because I've seen the BIOS complain about having
> no keyboard.
>
> Mark
Hi to all,
Mark and Tom H, I have removed all raid partitions on this computer and
reinstalled Kubuntu 10.10 (ALT) on a single drive. there are no raid
partitions on the other 2 drives and they are not mounted.
The result is very obvious. The system does not lose the mouse/keyboard at
all even if they are missing for 30 mins. With raid drives, the system lost
the moues/keyboard almost immediately. So what does one think the problem may
be.
I have tried 32 bit Kubuntu 10.10 (ALT) on the same raid system and I get the
same failure.
It is the same for Fedora 14. 64 bit and 32 bit.
It is also the same for Mandriva 2010.1 64 bit.

If I run PCLinuxOS 2010.10 on this system raid works fine and there is no loss
of mouse/keyboard. But that is a 32 bit system.
I have run testdisk and memtest 4.0 on the system and they can find no errors.
So why cannot I run raid ????
Gerald