Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 PM
GeraldCC

Default Raid drives???

Hi Guy's
I have the ALT version on KUbuntu installed on a AsUS motherboard 2GB ram 3-
core CPU and 3 sata2 drive each of 160GB.
I have md0 --root
md1 ---swap
md2 ---/home
md3 ---?? should be /mnt/data

Now md3 has data in from PCLinuxOS when it was installed.
I cannot get md3 to mount. I get all sorts of problems. From drives (sda4-sdc4
or sda5-sdc5) not being there or allready in use or not formatted correctly???
I have done re-install of KUbuntu and let it make the raid device md3 and
formatting it, but it is still not mountable.
Is there something going on that is not documented in the 10.04 Server book,
or will KUbuntu not run on this system???

Many thanks for your support

Gerald

Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 AM
GeraldCC

On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 08:42:05 am GeraldCC wrote:
> Hi Guy's
> I have the ALT version on KUbuntu installed on a AsUS motherboard 2GB ram
> 3- core CPU and 3 sata2 drive each of 160GB.
> I have md0 --root
> md1 ---swap
> md2 ---/home
> md3 ---?? should be /mnt/data
>
> Now md3 has data in from PCLinuxOS when it was installed.
> I cannot get md3 to mount. I get all sorts of problems. From drives
> (sda4-sdc4 or sda5-sdc5) not being there or allready in use or not
> formatted correctly??? I have done re-install of KUbuntu and let it make
> the raid device md3 and formatting it, but it is still not mountable.
> Is there something going on that is not documented in the 10.04 Server
> book, or will KUbuntu not run on this system???
>
> Many thanks for your support
>
> Gerald
Hi,
As an extra-- I completely deleted the /home and /mnt/data as md2 and md3 and
then re-created them. Did a full installation and rebooted.
The first re-boot could not mount md2 the /home partition or md3 the /mnt/data
partition.
So with no home and not able to login as root I switch off.
On this re-boot, it complained about md2 and md3 but I presses the 'S' key to
continue.
I did then get to a login screen and it allowed me to login to my home
folder........I could also mount my /mnt/data folder, for the first time.
I do not know what the problem was but it seems to have cleared itself!!!!
So apart from knowing what was wrong, can anyone through any light on this
problem.
I do know that PCLinuxOS cannot do what K/Ubuntu can do from the -ALT- disk
but at this time I am trying to get the same functionality in Ububtu that I
had in PCLinuxOS.
Your thoughts on the installation problem will be greatfully received.
Gerald

Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM, GeraldCC <gcsgcatling@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I have the ALT version on KUbuntu installed on a AsUS motherboard 2GB ram 3-
> core CPU and 3 sata2 drive each of 160GB.
> I have md0 --root
> md1 ---swap
> md2 ---/home
> md3 ---?? should be /mnt/data
> Now md3 has data in from PCLinuxOS when it was installed.
> I cannot get md3 to mount. I get all sorts of problems. From drives (sda4-sdc4
> or sda5-sdc5) not being there or allready in use or not formatted correctly???
> I have done re-install of KUbuntu and let it make the raid device md3 and
> formatting it, but it is still not mountable.

Far too little information in this rant...

1. What'd the output of "cat /proc/mdstat"?

2. What's the output of "mdadm --examine --scan --config=partitions"?

3. If md3 was previously created, the hostname of the other install is
in md3's superblock so md3 has to be assembled with "--homehost". If
it's auto-assembled, its name's most likely not md3 but md127 (or
md126 if there's another md device in the same category).

4. Which of sda4, sdc4, sda5, sdc5 compose md3? What's md3's raid level?

5. Did you zero out the superblock(s) before re-installing Kubuntu?

6. What's the "/etc/fstab" entry or the mount invocation that's used for md3?