Old 11-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Bas Roufs

Default Missing link for handling .swf streams (radio, video)

Dear Everybody

When working with Kubuntu 10.04 or 9.10 I did manage to work with .swf
radio and video streams. But ever since I upgraded to Kubuntu Maverick
(10.10), there is some missing link;so far, I do not manage to find
out how to fix the problem. This page contains 2 typical examples of
.swf streams I have troubles with:
http://www.radio1.nl/terugluisteren/tijd
By configuring "MediaplayerConnectivity" inside Firefox, I have
instructed the system to open the .swf streams with one of the
mediaplayers I have installed: Amarok, Kaffeine, VLC, Gnome MPlayer,
GXINE and XINE. None of them seams to be able to recognise and handle
.swf-streams: not the radio streams at the left side of that page,
also not the video streams on the right hand side.Feed-back from the
package "Kaffeine" clearly reveals the nature of the missing link.
When going to http://www.radio1.nl/terugluisteren/tijd, I try to
listen to some radio archive by choosing at the left side a day
('dag') and hour ('uur') and pressing the button LISTEN ("Luister").
Kaffeine delivers in that case the following feedback:
Cannot find demux plugin for MRL
"http://www.radio1.nl/pbplayer/flash/pbplayer.swf".
When trying the video stream at the right hand side of the page, I get
this feedback:
Cannot find demux plugin for MRL
"http://s0.2mdn.net/2483941/Ned2_rectangle.swf".
Feedback from most of the other media players is similar. But when
trying "Amarok", I get a feedback like this:
"Playing http://www.radio1.nl/pbplayer/flash/pbplayer.swf". However, I
do not hear any sound, even not in the case of the radio stream.

There is NO general multimedia or sound problem at my system, which is
able to handle several other video and audio formats. It is this
specific .swf format I am having troubles with. Does anyone have a
clue how to fix this problem?

Thanks for replying, respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Colin Law

On 30 November 2010 14:40, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Everybody
>
> When working with Kubuntu 10.04 or 9.10 I did manage to work with .swf
> radio and video streams. But ever since I upgraded to Kubuntu Maverick
> (10.10), there is some missing link;so far, I do not manage to find
> out how to fix the problem. This page contains 2 typical examples of
> .swf streams I have troubles with:

Have you installed the flash plugin? If not google will find numerous
links such as http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/09/install-adobe-flash-player-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/

Colin

Old 11-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Mark

Or you can get it straight from http://adobe.com . . . .

Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> mhullrich@gmail.com :
>Or you can get it straight from http://adobe.com . . . .

Far straighter:

mihamina@packard:~$ apt-cache search flashplugin
flashplugin-installer - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer

--

Architecte Informatique :
+261 34 56 000 19

Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello Everybody

Thanks for all your replies so far.

> Have you installed the flash plugin?
I have tried to do so in at least 2 ways. I have followed the
instructions of sites like this one:
http://bit.ly/dYbrhn

>Or you can get it straight from http://adobe.com . . . .
This is one of the methods I have tried several times. I downloaded a
debian package from that site and tried to install it by making it
"executable" and installing it via "Gdebi". It does not really work so
far.

For the time being I stick with the half-effective result of a 2nd
method: opening a package manager, like Synaptic, giving in the key
words "adobe flash player" and installing the packages recommended
next. Video's at Youtube and elsewhere do work now, but there are
still several websites whose .swf video's do not work at all - eg. the
ones at canvas.be.

RADIO/ AUDIO streams in .swf format still do not work at all - e.g.
the one of BBC Worldservice:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/audioconsole/?stream=live

> *mihamina@packard:~$ apt-cache search flashplugin ...

Interesting idea. So, I opened a console, gave in a similar command
and got the following result:

bas@Viaconsensus2:~$ apt-cache search flashplugin
flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound - Adobe Flash Player platform support
library for Esound and OSS
flashplugin-installer - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
flashplugin-nonfree -
(transitional package)
adobe-flashplugin - Adobe Flash Player plugin version 10

After this, I installed adobe-flashplugin, which in it's turn removed
some other flashplugin package which is being used by Kaffeine. Now, I
am able to play some video's at Youtube and elsewhere. But e.g. the
video's of canvas.be still do not work.
Moreover, no .swf AUDIO/ RADIO stream works - e.g:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_21576
http://www.radio1.nl/pbplayer/flash/pbplayer.swf
Can anyone give a clue how to find the still missing link(s)?
Thanks, respectfully yours,
Bas.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Mark

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everybody
>

>>Or you can get it straight from http://adobe.com . . . .
> This is one of the methods I have tried several times. I downloaded a
> debian package from that site and tried to install it by making it
> "executable" and installing it via "Gdebi". It does not really work so
> far.

Huh??

Try 'sudo dpkg -i <whatever>.deb'

OTOH, Synaptic is probably the better way to go.

If you're having trouble with rss feeds, go into Synaptic and search for rss....

Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> mhullrich@gmail.com :
>OTOH, Synaptic is probably the better way to go.

In what way?

--

Architecte Informatique :
+261 34 56 000 19

Old 12-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 15:40 +0100, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear Everybody
>
> When working with Kubuntu 10.04 or 9.10 I did manage to work with .swf
> radio and video streams. But ever since I upgraded to Kubuntu Maverick
> (10.10), there is some missing link;so far, I do not manage to find
> out how to fix the problem. This page contains 2 typical examples of
> .swf streams I have troubles with:

vlc handles .swf files perfectly. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Bas Roufs

> vlc handles .swf files perfectly. Ric
So far, I did not manage to get the .swf files managed by VLC. In the
mean time, I installed the latest version of "Adobe Flash Player" from
the Medibuntu repository and uninstalled some packages conflicting
with it. As I wrote in my previous message: I am able to handle both
video and audio .swf files - via the adobe plug in. But I am still
curious how to configure VLC in such a way that it can handle .swf
files too.

Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas.