Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Lorenzo Bettini

Default CPU frequency options in KDE Power Management (PowerDevil)

Hi

my laptop CPUs can support CPU frequency scaling (tested in the past); I
also installed cpufrequtils; but in PowerDevil (the Power Management
dialog of KDE) CPU frequency scaling options are not shown... only
"Enable system power saving" in the "CPU and System" dialog (of edit
profiles).

Is it a known issue?

thanks in advance
Lorenzo

BLOGS: http://tronprog.blogspot.com http://longlivemusic.blogspot.com

Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Lorenzo Bettini

On 11/30/2010 03:31 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Lorenzo Bettini posted on Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:45:16 +0100 as excerpted:
>
>> my laptop CPUs can support CPU frequency scaling (tested in the past); I
>> also installed cpufrequtils; but in PowerDevil (the Power Management
>> dialog of KDE) CPU frequency scaling options are not shown... only
>> "Enable system power saving" in the "CPU and System" dialog (of edit
>> profiles).
>>
>> Is it a known issue?
>
> FWIW, my netbook uses laptop-mode-tools to handle things pretty much
> automatically, and when I do touch it manually, it's thru the command-line
> tools, not kde, so I don't use powerdevil, etc, here and can't directly
> answer your question. That said...
>
> Please repost the question with at least /some/ information about what
> distribution release and kde version you're using. There's nary a version
> of ANYTHING AT ALL listed in your post! =:^( Versions for the kernel and
> cpufrequtils you may be using could be useful as well, if they aren't the
> distribution defaults and/or for those who use other distributions that
> might or might not be affected.
>
> Without that, as the kernel folks would say,
> -ENODATA (error, no data available).

as said in gmane.comp.kde.linux, it looks like accessing frequency
scaling from powerdevil was removed...

BLOGS: http://tronprog.blogspot.com http://longlivemusic.blogspot.com

Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 PM
xPol

Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

> Hi
>
> my laptop CPUs can support CPU frequency scaling (tested in the
past); I
> also installed cpufrequtils; but in PowerDevil (the Power Management
> dialog of KDE) CPU frequency scaling options are not shown... only
> "Enable system power saving" in the "CPU and System" dialog (of edit
> profiles).

You can set the preferred profile: left click on power management
widget, that green battery icon n the systen tray.
I am used to set the 'powersave' profile, to keep the frequency at the
lowest level, thus keeping the cpu from high very temperature values.

You can also customize profiles, (yet fixing frequency values is not
allowed) by clicking on 'configure power management', on the right side
of the power management panel.

----p