Old 11-26-2010, 04:55 AM
Doug

Default test flash drive

I've ordered some flash drives at an attractive price, with a
well-known brand name, but they are coming from Hong-Kong,
so I don't know what I'll really get. Can they be tested some
way, and if so, how? (Hopefully they will be here in a few days.)
I don't know if flash drives come formatted or not;
presumably I could format one with gparted to any common
format. If so, what format? I would think NTFS would be the
most universally useful, assuming they work OK. Or FAT32?
(I don't remember if gparted can format to M/S formats.)
I use both Linux and Win7.

Thanx for your input--doug

Old 11-26-2010, 05:50 AM
Basil Chupin

On 26/11/2010 16:55, Doug wrote:
> I've ordered some flash drives at an attractive price, with a
> well-known brand name, but they are coming from Hong-Kong,
> so I don't know what I'll really get. Can they be tested some
> way, and if so, how? (Hopefully they will be here in a few days.)
> I don't know if flash drives come formatted or not;
> presumably I could format one with gparted to any common
> format. If so, what format? I would think NTFS would be the
> most universally useful, assuming they work OK. Or FAT32?
> (I don't remember if gparted can format to M/S formats.)
> I use both Linux and Win7.
>
> Thanx for your input--doug

Flash drives - from wherever - come formatted with FAT(32). And I have
yet to come across a flash drive which did not come from Asia.

You can format the flash drive with whatever file system you want. I
have formatted them with ext4, ext3, ext2, NTFS. gparted is one of the
utils which will do the formatting for you (either on a standalone CD or
as available on the installation CD for K/Ubuntu).

Since Linux can handle both FAT and NTFS then if you are looking for
"universal" access then use either one - NTFS would be preferred I would
think (provided the latest Windows' formatting is compatible with the
NTFS used in previous releases [I mention this because NTFS after XP is
slightly different to XP, and what it is now I simply do not know])
because you are not restricted to limited file sizes.

BC

--
ATTORNEY: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he
doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Old 11-26-2010, 06:29 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 26/11/2010 08:50, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 26/11/2010 16:55, Doug wrote:
>> I've ordered some flash drives at an attractive price, with a
>> well-known brand name, but they are coming from Hong-Kong,
>> so I don't know what I'll really get. Can they be tested some
>> way, and if so, how? (Hopefully they will be here in a few days.)
>> I don't know if flash drives come formatted or not;
>> presumably I could format one with gparted to any common
>> format. If so, what format? I would think NTFS would be the
>> most universally useful, assuming they work OK. Or FAT32?
>> (I don't remember if gparted can format to M/S formats.)
>> I use both Linux and Win7.
>>
>> Thanx for your input--doug
>>

> Flash drives - from wherever - come formatted with FAT(32). And I have
> yet to come across a flash drive which did not come from Asia.
>
> You can format the flash drive with whatever file system you want. I
> have formatted them with ext4, ext3, ext2, NTFS. gparted is one of the
> utils which will do the formatting for you (either on a standalone CD or
> as available on the installation CD for K/Ubuntu).
>
> Since Linux can handle both FAT and NTFS then if you are looking for
> "universal" access then use either one - NTFS would be preferred I would
> think (provided the latest Windows' formatting is compatible with the
> NTFS used in previous releases [I mention this because NTFS after XP is
> slightly different to XP, and what it is now I simply do not know])
> because you are not restricted to limited file sizes.

there is supposedly a reason for the general use of FAT32 instead of
NTFS on flash drives so I would check that up before going ntfs

/Sinclair

Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Basil Chupin

On 26/11/2010 18:29, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 26/11/2010 08:50, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 26/11/2010 16:55, Doug wrote:
>>
>>> I've ordered some flash drives at an attractive price, with a
>>> well-known brand name, but they are coming from Hong-Kong,
>>> so I don't know what I'll really get. Can they be tested some
>>> way, and if so, how? (Hopefully they will be here in a few days.)
>>> I don't know if flash drives come formatted or not;
>>> presumably I could format one with gparted to any common
>>> format. If so, what format? I would think NTFS would be the
>>> most universally useful, assuming they work OK. Or FAT32?
>>> (I don't remember if gparted can format to M/S formats.)
>>> I use both Linux and Win7.
>>>
>>> Thanx for your input--doug
>>>

>> Flash drives - from wherever - come formatted with FAT(32). And I have
>> yet to come across a flash drive which did not come from Asia.
>>
>> You can format the flash drive with whatever file system you want. I
>> have formatted them with ext4, ext3, ext2, NTFS. gparted is one of the
>> utils which will do the formatting for you (either on a standalone CD or
>> as available on the installation CD for K/Ubuntu).
>>
>> Since Linux can handle both FAT and NTFS then if you are looking for
>> "universal" access then use either one - NTFS would be preferred I would
>> think (provided the latest Windows' formatting is compatible with the
>> NTFS used in previous releases [I mention this because NTFS after XP is
>> slightly different to XP, and what it is now I simply do not know])
>> because you are not restricted to limited file sizes.
>>

> there is supposedly a reason for the general use of FAT32 instead of
> NTFS on flash drives so I would check that up before going ntfs

I think if you looked at the 'technicals' of FAT32 you will see why NTFS
is preferable.

BC

Old 11-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday, November 26, 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:

> there is supposedly a reason for the general use of FAT32 instead of*

> NTFS on flash drives so I would check that up before going ntfs

It was always my opinion that what ever 'firmware' they use on these drives *only* deals with F32.... Don't think there is any other option.

The usually way to format them is mkfs.vfat /dev/xxx but they usually come formatted.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Steve Grace

On 11/26/2010 06:50 AM, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Friday, November 26, 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:
>
>> there is supposedly a reason for the general use of FAT32 instead of
>> NTFS on flash drives so I would check that up before going ntfs
>
> It was always my opinion that what ever 'firmware' they use on these
> drives *only* deals with F32.... Don't think there is any other option.

That can't be true -- I've formatted flash drives as ext2.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:59 PM
uriah heep

The major problem -that will be noticed in day to day use- is the 4
gig limit on file size. Except for movies in iso etc or huge data base
files I have not found it a problem. I use a "magic" repair disk
partially based on g-parted and it will format to most any file system
and flash drives does not care what you use. The only problem is will
the os of the other computers read it.
Uriah