FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Jerry Lapham
 
Default Upside down text characters and Wine -- SOLVED but not quite

On Thursday, November 25, 2010 06:58:27 pm Jerry Lapham wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 03:20:53 pm Steve Morris wrote:
> > On 23/11/10 18:45, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > > On Monday, November 22, 2010 02:41:50 pm Steve Morris wrote:
> > >> On 22/11/10 12:13, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > >>> I suspect the Wine update to 1.2 may have happened in the last month
> > >>> and caused the problem. I'd like to either back up to the previous
> > >>> Wine version or forward to a new version without the problem but I
> > >>> don't know how.
>
> That was it! I finally tried what I should have done in the first place --
> I opened Synaptic and found that both Wine 1.2 and Wine 1.0 are available,
> so I removed 1.2 and installed 1.0. Voila, right side up printing.
>

Whoa, there, wait a minute!

DeScribe prints right side up in Wine 1.0 but Quicken 2008 won't run. Since I
use Quicken more often than DeScribe, I had to go back to Wine 1.2. But at
least I confirmed that Wine 1.2 is the problem.

-Jerry
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH 45050
rjlapham@gmail.com
=============================================
Walk to Emmaus: Fueling station for a spirit-filled church

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Clay Weber
 
Default Upside down text characters and Wine -- SOLVED but not quite

On Thursday, November 25, 2010 07:31:28 pm Jerry Lapham wrote:
> On Thursday, November 25, 2010 06:58:27 pm Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 03:20:53 pm Steve Morris wrote:
> > > On 23/11/10 18:45, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > > > On Monday, November 22, 2010 02:41:50 pm Steve Morris wrote:
> > > >> On 22/11/10 12:13, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > > >>> I suspect the Wine update to 1.2 may have happened in the last
> > > >>> month and caused the problem. I'd like to either back up to the
> > > >>> previous Wine version or forward to a new version without the
> > > >>> problem but I don't know how.
> >
> > That was it! I finally tried what I should have done in the first place
> > -- I opened Synaptic and found that both Wine 1.2 and Wine 1.0 are
> > available, so I removed 1.2 and installed 1.0. Voila, right side up
> > printing.
>
> Whoa, there, wait a minute!
>
> DeScribe prints right side up in Wine 1.0 but Quicken 2008 won't run.
> Since I use Quicken more often than DeScribe, I had to go back to Wine
> 1.2. But at least I confirmed that Wine 1.2 is the problem.
>
> -Jerry

I am not sure if it will help, but you can set wine to run as specific Windows
versions. Perhaps with the old word processor, you might want to try running
it with Win95 compatibility.

Run wincfg and go to the Applications tab, select Add Application and browse
to DeScribe's exe. Then select the windows version you want. Win 95 would be a
good guess for the app, as that's about when that application was available.

You can also set the system default to whichever Win version works best for
you overall, I believe Win XP is the default in wine 1.2, not sure which
version is set as default for 1.0, but I would guess it is the same. Worth a
try.

I also would recommend trying out KMyMoney as something to consider and try as
a replacement for Quicken.

Clay



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2010, 04:22 AM
Jerry Lapham
 
Default Upside down text characters and Wine -- SOLVED but not quite

On Thursday, November 25, 2010 08:08:47 pm Clay Weber wrote:

> On Thursday, November 25, 2010 07:31:28 pm Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > On Thursday, November 25, 2010 06:58:27 pm Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > > On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 03:20:53 pm Steve Morris wrote:
> > > > On 23/11/10 18:45, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > > > > On Monday, November 22, 2010 02:41:50 pm Steve Morris wrote:
> > > > >> On 22/11/10 12:13, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > > > >>> I suspect the Wine update to 1.2 may have happened in the last
> > > > >>> month and caused the problem. I'd like to either back up to the
> > > > >>> previous Wine version or forward to a new version without the
> > > > >>> problem but I don't know how.
> > >
> > > That was it! I finally tried what I should have done in the first
> > > place -- I opened Synaptic and found that both Wine 1.2 and Wine 1.0
> > > are available, so I removed 1.2 and installed 1.0. Voila, right side
> > > up printing.
> >
> > Whoa, there, wait a minute!
> >
> > DeScribe prints right side up in Wine 1.0 but Quicken 2008 won't run.
> > Since I use Quicken more often than DeScribe, I had to go back to Wine
> > 1.2. But at least I confirmed that Wine 1.2 is the problem.
> >
> > -Jerry
>
> I am not sure if it will help, but you can set wine to run as specific
> Windows versions. Perhaps with the old word processor, you might want to
> try running it with Win95 compatibility.

Tried Win95 -doesn't make any difference. DeScribe runs fine on the default XP,
it just "prints" upside down characters.
>
> I also would recommend trying out KMyMoney as something to consider and try
> as a replacement for Quicken.

Just downloaded it. Looks like a lot of relearning.

-Jerry
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH 45050
rjlapham@gmail.com
=============================================
"This must be Kansas," said Tom flatly.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 AM
Doug
 
Default Upside down text characters and Wine -- SOLVED but not quite

On 11/26/2010 12:22 AM, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> /snip/
> -Jerry
> =============================================
> Jerry Lapham
> Monroe, OH 45050
> rjlapham@gmail.com
> =============================================
> "This must be Kansas," said Tom flatly.
>
My god! A Swifty! I haven't seen one of them in a dog's age!
--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org