Old 11-25-2010, 03:34 AM
uriah heep

Default firefox language problem

I tried 10.10 and decided to return to 10.04 & all went well until I
tried to reinstall Firefox. For some reason each time I have Kubuntu
package manager or Synaptic Firefox seems to think I speak French.
This is especially a problem when I attempt to log into Gmail. How can
I get an English copy of Firefox. In the mean time I am using
Konquror which works fine.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Perry

Le Thursday 25 November 2010 05.34:29 uriah heep, vous avez écrit (you wrote)
:
> I tried 10.10 and decided to return to 10.04 & all went well until I
> tried to reinstall Firefox. For some reason each time I have Kubuntu
> package manager or Synaptic Firefox seems to think I speak French.
> This is especially a problem when I attempt to log into Gmail. How can
> I get an English copy of Firefox. In the mean time I am using
> Konquror which works fine.

I'm still on Karmic, but it's probably irrelevant.
I googeled for "firefox language" and
in <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/752827> I found:
>>You need an English language version and there is no en-US language pack in
Firefox 3.6. If you do not want the download the en-US version then you can
install the en-GB language and switch to that version and remove the Spanish
es-ES language pack from the chrome folder in the Firefox program folder.
OK, you have French and not Spanish, and you may still have English but I
don't know how to test this.

>>You can find all language pack here:
>>
>>http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.11/win32/xpi/.
>>
>>You can install language pack just like extensions.
>>You can set the pref "general.useragent.locale" to the preferred language
("en-GB") on the about:config page.
>>You can open the about:config page via the location bar, like you open a web
site.
Just type "about:config " in FF navigator bar (and -return-)
then scroll down until you find "general.useragent.locale" and -right click-,
or
>>Use the Filter bar at the top of that page to quickly locate the pref.
>>
>>See also http://kb.mozillazine.org/Language_packs
>>
>>If you need the en-US dictionary then look here:
>>
>> * https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/language-tools/

HTH Perry

--
BOFH excuse #269: Melting hard drives

Old 11-26-2010, 01:54 AM
uriah heep

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Perry <pwhite@bluewin.ch> wrote:

Le Thursday 25 November 2010 05.34:29 uriah heep, vous avez écrit (you wrote)

:

> I tried 10.10 and decided to return to 10.04 & all went well until I

> tried to reinstall Firefox. For some reason each time I have Kubuntu

> package manager or Synaptic Firefox seems to think I speak French.

> This is especially a problem when I attempt to log into Gmail. How can

> I get an English copy of Firefox. *In the mean time I am using

> Konquror which works fine.

I'm still on Karmic, but it's probably irrelevant.

I googeled for "firefox language" and

in <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/752827> I found:

>>You need an English language version and there is no en-US language pack in

Firefox 3.6. If you do not want the download the en-US version then you can

install the en-GB language and switch to that version and remove the Spanish

es-ES language pack from the chrome folder in the Firefox program folder.

OK, you have French and not Spanish, and you may still have English but I

don't know how to test this.

>>You can find all language pack here:

>>http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.11/win32/xpi/.

>>You can install language pack just like extensions.

>>You can set the pref "general.useragent.locale" to the preferred language

("en-GB") on the about:config page.

>>You can open the about:config page via the location bar, like you open a web

site.

Just type "about:config " in FF navigator bar (and -return-)

then scroll down until you find "general.useragent.locale" *and -right click-,

or

>>Use the Filter bar at the top of that page to quickly locate the pref.

>>See also http://kb.mozillazine.org/Language_packs

>>If you need the en-US dictionary then look here:

>> * ** https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/language-tools/

HTH * * * * * * Perry

--

BOFH excuse #269: Melting hard drives

--

Thank you for this work around.* In the past I was always able to obtain the correct version from the repositories. Is there any way I can obtain the standard USA version?
Uriah