Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Graham

Default Satellite TV to PC

Has anyone seen this site:

http://www.satellitetvtopc.com/

Seems like its too good to be true, and a little voice inside me says
when it appears that way, it probably is. Does anyone know about this
company?

But the idea of satellite TV being streamed over a broadband connection
intrigues me. Could this work in Kubuntu?

Are there any providers who offer this sort of service?

--

Graham Todd

Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Graham wrote:

> Has anyone seen this site:
>
> http://www.satellitetvtopc.com/
>
> Seems like its too good to be true, and a little voice inside me says
> when it appears that way, it probably is. Does anyone know about this
> company?

Only what I had seen on the website. "Free TV" - after you pay us for the
program...

The fact is, there are huge quantities of "free" (as in either beer or just
freely available) Satellite TV (google "free to air" or "FTA satellite")
and they're providing some way to get at that from your computer.

I'm _not_ convinced they have a legal right to distribute the TV signals
they're talking about. otoh, they could be providing you with a media
player preset with links to streaming video from actual networks - I have
no idea how many (if any) networks _do_ have a streaming video feed. If
that's the case, then they have a right to do what they're doing, but it
wouldn't cost you anything but your time to do it yourself.
--
derek

Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 PM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Nov 19, 2007 6:16 AM, Graham <grahamtodd2@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone seen this site:
>
> http://www.satellitetvtopc.com/
>
> Seems like its too good to be true, and a little voice inside me says
> when it appears that way, it probably is. Does anyone know about this
> company?

Quick whois returns this:
<snip>
Domain Name: SATELLITETVTOPC.COM
Registrar: MELBOURNE IT, LTD. D/B/A INTERNET NAMES WORLDWIDE
Whois Server: whois.melbourneit.com
Referral URL: http://www.melbourneit.com
Name Server: YNS1.YAHOO.COM
Name Server: YNS2.YAHOO.COM
Updated Date: 04-nov-2007
Creation Date: 15-nov-2005
Expiration Date: 15-nov-2008

<snip>

Domain Name.......... satellitetvtopc.com
Creation Date........ 2005-11-16
Registration Date.... 2005-11-16
Expiry Date.......... 2008-11-16
Organisation Name.... David Miller
Organisation Address. SCPO Box 43128
Organisation Address. 4841 Yonge St.
Organisation Address. Toronto
Organisation Address. M2N 6N1
Organisation Address. ON
Organisation Address. CANADA

Admin Name........... david miller
Admin Address........ SCPO Box 43128
Admin Address........ 4841 Yonge St.
Admin Address........ Toronto
Admin Address........ M2N 6N1
Admin Address........ ON
Admin Address........ CANADA
Admin Email.......... legal@satellitetvtopc.com
Admin Phone.......... +1.2621500
Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ david miller
Tech Address......... SCPO Box 43128
Tech Address......... 4841 Yonge St.
Tech Address......... Toronto
Tech Address......... M2N 6N1
Tech Address......... ON
Tech Address......... CANADA
Tech Email........... legal@satellitetvtopc.com
Tech Phone........... +1.2621500
Tech Fax.............
Name Server.......... yns1.yahoo.com
Name Server.......... yns2.yahoo.com

So this guy "David Miller" from "Toronto" (he has the same name as the
mayor of Toronto?) is getting all of this money. Why is he the
contact for organization, admin, and tech? Perhaps to have to forge
as little info as possible. Also, that phone number looks a little
fishy, but I don't want to call it to see if someone picks up (I bet
you won't get through). Looking at the webpage makes me think even
more that it is not legit. Check out the "reviews" from "real"
people:
------------------------------------
THANK YOU !! 10/10 EXCELLENT AAA+ VERY GOOD VALUE ! - Jeff T.
Fast Service! As Advertised! Thank You! - Mike O.
I saved more than $500! - Peter R.
BRILLIANT - Mary S.

Product was just as described - Jacob W.
Awesome, thanks! - Dan T.
A++, would suggest to anyone. Thanks - Robert J.
Product as described and works, Thanks - Rosa D.
-------------------------------------

Pretty weak if you ask me. But what did Steve, Bill, and John have to
say? I'm just saying that they all have _very_ common names; it shows
a lack of creativity of David's part. At first glance I didn't
believe this thing just because of the unprofessional design of the
webpage. Also, he can't even host his own "video" (which,
unfortunately, won't work for me) of the product "working".

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I wouldn't give David one penny.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 11-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Graham

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:53:40 -0500
"Andrew Jarrett" <jarrett.andrew@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm too cynical, but I wouldn't give David one penny.
>
> Andrew

I wouldn't either, but my cousin (who uses Mac OSX Tiger) did when
advertised in eBay. Apparently the software runs only in Windows, so
he's getting a refund.

Given that the whole service "may" be legit (earlier posting which I
can't find right now), and earlier posters say you can do this in Linux
by checking the right software, does anybody actually know HOW to do
this in Kubuntu?

As long as its legit of course....

--

Graham Todd