Old 11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Bruce Bales

Default too much work for irq17

I have been using kubuntu 8.04 since 2008 and upgrading fairly often. About a
month ago I tried to upgrade and the machine thrashed around a while then
started sending the message "serial8250: too much work for irq17" then
said "changing to low-graphics mode". It became useless. dmesg was full of
"serial8250: too much work for irq17"

Since support for 8.04 will end soon, I decided to install 10.04. The install
was slow and resulted in lots of "serial8250: too much work for irq17". I
got the same from installing 9.10 and 10.10. I even tried ubuntu 10.04.

I reinstalled 8.04 and it seems to be allright, even after an apt-get update
and upgrade.

A google on "too much work for irq17" found several others with the same
problem, mostly with Dell 2400 series computers (like mine). But no
solutions.

Support for 8.04 runs out soon and I sure don't want to have to leave kubuntu.

Sure would appreciate some help on this.
bruce

Old 11-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Frans Ketelaars

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:45:45 -0600, Bruce Bales wrote:

> I have been using kubuntu 8.04 since 2008 and upgrading fairly often.
> About a month ago I tried to upgrade and the machine thrashed around a
> while then started sending the message "serial8250: too much work for
> irq17" then said "changing to low-graphics mode". It became useless.
> dmesg was full of "serial8250: too much work for irq17"
>
> Since support for 8.04 will end soon, I decided to install 10.04. The
> install was slow and resulted in lots of "serial8250: too much work for
> irq17". I got the same from installing 9.10 and 10.10. I even tried
> ubuntu 10.04.
>
> I reinstalled 8.04 and it seems to be allright, even after an apt-get
> update and upgrade.
>
> A google on "too much work for irq17" found several others with the same
> problem, mostly with Dell 2400 series computers (like mine). But no
> solutions.
>
> Support for 8.04 runs out soon and I sure don't want to have to leave
> kubuntu.
>
> Sure would appreciate some help on this. bruce

So it seems removing the PCI modem card from your Dell 2400 might solve
this.

If it does, please add [SOLVED] to the subject line.

Good luck!

-Frans

Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Bruce Bales

Hello, all.

I have been using kubuntu 8-04 for four years and it is running out of
support. For over a year I have been trying to install a later
version, most recently, 10-4-3. When I use the 'Try without
installing" feature within a few minutes I get a screen full
of "serial I8250 too much work for irq17" and it locks up.

When I install, I see that same "too much work for IRQ17" but have
gotten it installed a few times. But it won't run reliably, lovking
up with a black, blank screen within hours of startup.

The computer is a Dell 2400 series 2.4GHz desktop about six years old.

8-04 runs 24/7 for months on end with minimal problems. I have
installed (or tried to install) newer versions in all three disks in
the box.

Does this symptom indicate a hardware problem? What is IRQ17? Is
there something special about Dell computers that makes them reject
Kubuntu?

Any help gladly accepted.
bruce

Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Clay Weber

On Monday, January 02, 2012 06:37:22 PM Bruce Bales wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I have been using kubuntu 8-04 for four years and it is running out of
> support. For over a year I have been trying to install a later
> version, most recently, 10-4-3. When I use the 'Try without
> installing" feature within a few minutes I get a screen full
> of "serial I8250 too much work for irq17" and it locks up.
>
> When I install, I see that same "too much work for IRQ17" but have
> gotten it installed a few times. But it won't run reliably, lovking
> up with a black, blank screen within hours of startup.
>
> The computer is a Dell 2400 series 2.4GHz desktop about six years old.
>
> 8-04 runs 24/7 for months on end with minimal problems. I have
> installed (or tried to install) newer versions in all three disks in
> the box.
>
> Does this symptom indicate a hardware problem? What is IRQ17? Is
> there something special about Dell computers that makes them reject
> Kubuntu?
>
> Any help gladly accepted.
> bruce

A quick google seems to indicate a problem specific to that model of Dell, and
is not distro-specific either.

Some have reported that removing the pci modem fixed the problem.

clay