Old 11-23-2010, 07:39 AM
azlan mazlan

Default Technical question on video driver installation

U'll have problem..
it is best to install the grphic card first
then update the software

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Valter Mura <valtermura@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I'm going to change my old video card ATI with an Nvidia one, new and more

powerful.

While reading some info in the Ubuntu website, I noticed that there is an

experimental driver called Nouveau that supports Nvidia cards. As it doesn't

support yet the 3D features, it is also suggested to remove it and install the

native Nvidia driver, more performing. So did I. I installed yesterday the

"nvidia-current", as per packets' availability in the repository (I think this

is the latest and supports my new card, GeForce 6200)

I have to say that I haven't installed the card yet, so my QUESTION is:

"Is it safe to install the video card driver before physically installing the

video card?"

In other words, "if I reboot my machine after this Nvidia driver installation

and while still using the ATI video card, may I have problems?"

TIA and regards,

--

Valter

Registered Linux User #466410 *http://counter.li.org

Kubuntu Linux: www.kubuntu.org

OpenOffice.org: www.openoffice.org

Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Valter Mura

In data martedž 23 novembre 2010 09:39:27, azlan mazlan ha scritto:

> U'll have problem..
> it is best to install the grphic card first
> then update the software
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Valter Mura <valtermura@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm going to change my old video card ATI with an Nvidia one, new and
> > more powerful.
> >
> > While reading some info in the Ubuntu website, I noticed that there is an
> > experimental driver called Nouveau that supports Nvidia cards. As it
> > doesn't
> > support yet the 3D features, it is also suggested to remove it and
> > install the
> > native Nvidia driver, more performing. So did I. I installed yesterday
> > the "nvidia-current", as per packets' availability in the repository (I
> > think this
> > is the latest and supports my new card, GeForce 6200)
> >
> > I have to say that I haven't installed the card yet, so my QUESTION is:
> >
> > "Is it safe to install the video card driver before physically installing
> > the
> > video card?"
> >
> > In other words, "if I reboot my machine after this Nvidia driver
> > installation
> > and while still using the ATI video card, may I have problems?"

JFYI, the installation has been smart and now my system is running with the
new NVidia card... :-)

--
Valter

Old 11-24-2010, 03:51 AM
azlan mazlan

mmm...
if it's ok with u..
it would be great if u can send me a few screenshot??

Many thank you in advance,,

Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Valter Mura

In data mercoledž 24 novembre 2010 05:51:01, azlan mazlan ha scritto:

> mmm...
> if it's ok with u..
> it would be great if u can send me a few screenshot??

Which kind of screenshot do you need? I can give you infos about the video
card and the file installed...

Or I can give you screenshot about the the NVidia X Server Settings...

--
Valter

Old 11-25-2010, 02:13 AM
azlan mazlan

info, desktop screenshot n xserver setting will be great..
hehehe..

thanks..