Old 11-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Valter Mura

Default Technical question on video driver installation

Hi All,

I'm going to change my old video card ATI with an Nvidia one, new and more
powerful.

While reading some info in the Ubuntu website, I noticed that there is an
experimental driver called Nouveau that supports Nvidia cards. As it doesn't
support yet the 3D features, it is also suggested to remove it and install the
native Nvidia driver, more performing. So did I. I installed yesterday the
"nvidia-current", as per packets' availability in the repository (I think this
is the latest and supports my new card, GeForce 6200)

I have to say that I haven't installed the card yet, so my QUESTION is:

"Is it safe to install the video card driver before physically installing the
video card?"

In other words, "if I reboot my machine after this Nvidia driver installation
and while still using the ATI video card, may I have problems?"

TIA and regards,
--
Valter
Kubuntu Linux: www.kubuntu.org