Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Login sound

On 22/11/2010 21:14, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Andrew Hinds wrote:
>
>> I was wondering how I go about changing the login sound. The default
>> one is getting a tad old and would like to be able to change it to
>> something else.
>>
> K-menu -> System Settings -> Notifications -> System Notifications
>
> At the "Applications" tab select "KDE System Notifications" and click on
> "Login". In the line "Play a sound" you can select the sound you want to
> use.

True, but what if you want to have your own special, preferred, sound,
like I do and not the limited selection - which is what I did from an
audio CD?

BC

--
Attorney: Doctor, do you recall the time that you examined the body?
Witness: The autopsy started at 2030 hours.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 22/11/2010 20:43, Andrew Hinds wrote:
> > I was wondering how I go about changing the login sound. The
> > default one is getting a tad old and would like to be able to
> > change it to something else.
>
> Change to suit yourself the sound in /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo.

I don't think so:

~/ > ls /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo
ls: cannot access /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo: No such file or
directory
~/ > ls /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/
ls: cannot access /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/: No such file or directory

That was with Kubuntu 10.04 but I suppose it is the same result for
other versions. IIRC, you abandoned KDE and maybe your suggestion only
works for the Gnome version?

Nils

Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Basil Chupin

On 22/11/2010 21:43, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 22/11/2010 20:43, Andrew Hinds wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering how I go about changing the login sound. The
>>> default one is getting a tad old and would like to be able to
>>> change it to something else.
>>>
>> Change to suit yourself the sound in /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo.
>>
> I don't think so:
>
> ~/> ls /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo
> ls: cannot access /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo: No such file or
> directory
> ~/> ls /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/
> ls: cannot access /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/: No such file or directory
>
> That was with Kubuntu 10.04 but I suppose it is the same result for
> other versions. IIRC, you abandoned KDE and maybe your suggestion only
> works for the Gnome version?

In which case it's only a simple matter of finding the right directory,
no? :-)

BC

Old 11-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 22/11/2010 21:14, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Andrew Hinds wrote:
> >> I was wondering how I go about changing the login sound. The
> >> default one is getting a tad old and would like to be able to
> >> change it to something else.
> >
> > K-menu -> System Settings -> Notifications -> System
> > Notifications
> >
> > At the "Applications" tab select "KDE System Notifications" and
> > click on "Login". In the line "Play a sound" you can select the
> > sound you want to use.
>
> True, but what if you want to have your own special, preferred,
> sound, like I do and not the limited selection - which is what I did
> from an audio CD?

Well, try for yourself - as I wrote: "you can select the sound you want
to use". It is a file selection menu. Or are you perhaps talking about
composing your own sound?

Nils

Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 22/11/2010 21:43, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Basil Chupin wrote:
> >>
> >> Change to suit yourself the sound in
> >> /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo.
> >
> > I don't think so:
> >
> > ~/> ls /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo
> > ls: cannot access /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo: No such file or
> > directory
> > ~/> ls /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/
> > ls: cannot access /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/: No such file or
> > directory
> >
> > That was with Kubuntu 10.04 but I suppose it is the same result for
> > other versions. IIRC, you abandoned KDE and maybe your suggestion
> > only works for the Gnome version?
>
> In which case it's only a simple matter of finding the right
> directory, no? :-)

No, because you need to know which file in that directory is used by KDE
as login sound. And you probably don't want to overwrite system sounds
because that change might be reversed by the next update.

Nils

Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Basil Chupin

On 22/11/2010 22:08, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> K-menu -> System Settings -> Notifications -> System
>>> Notifications
>>>
>>> At the "Applications" tab select "KDE System Notifications" and
>>> click on "Login". In the line "Play a sound" you can select the
>>> sound you want to use.
>>>
>> True, but what if you want to have your own special, preferred,
>> sound, like I do and not the limited selection - which is what I did
>> from an audio CD?
>>
> Well, try for yourself - as I wrote: "you can select the sound you want
> to use". It is a file selection menu. Or are you perhaps talking about
> composing your own sound?

You need to have the sound file sitting in a directory in K/Ubuntu to
begin with before "you can select the sound you want to use", no? Or are
you suggesting that one has an audio CD permanently sitting in the cdrom
so that the file can be accessed every time you boot up/login into K/Ubuntu?

BC

Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> You need to have the sound file sitting in a directory in K/Ubuntu to
> begin with before "you can select the sound you want to use", no? Or
> are you suggesting that one has an audio CD permanently sitting in
> the cdrom so that the file can be accessed every time you boot
> up/login into K/Ubuntu?

Well, I don't think you can select the sound from an audio CD because
that isn't a file anywhere. You would probably have to rip the CD first
and then maybe even edit the sound file to select only a few seconds
instead of the full 74 minutes. But creating a sound file from an
audio CD is probably better discussed in its own separate thread.

Nils

Old 11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Basil Chupin

On 22/11/2010 23:22, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> You need to have the sound file sitting in a directory in K/Ubuntu to
>> begin with before "you can select the sound you want to use", no? Or
>> are you suggesting that one has an audio CD permanently sitting in
>> the cdrom so that the file can be accessed every time you boot
>> up/login into K/Ubuntu?
>>
> Well, I don't think you can select the sound from an audio CD because
> that isn't a file anywhere. You would probably have to rip the CD first
> and then maybe even edit the sound file to select only a few seconds
> instead of the full 74 minutes. But creating a sound file from an
> audio CD is probably better discussed in its own separate thread.

Aaah, the powers of deduction :-) ....

BC