Old 11-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Isak Enström

Default KDE 4.5.3

Just noticed this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14007843/kde453.png

A quick glance at the kubuntu-ppa site in Launchpad reveals that it's KDE
4.5.3 that has arrived in the Kubuntu backports repository for Lucid.

Has anybody tried to upgrade yet?
--
// Isak

Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Georgi Kourtev

On Sunday, November 21, 2010 07:38:19 pm Isak Enström wrote:
> Just noticed this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14007843/kde453.png
>
> A quick glance at the kubuntu-ppa site in Launchpad reveals that it's KDE
> 4.5.3 that has arrived in the Kubuntu backports repository for Lucid.
>
> Has anybody tried to upgrade yet?

Yes from some weeks in few machines. It works fine.
gk

Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 PM
gene heskett

On Sunday, November 21, 2010 01:35:39 pm Isak Enström did opine:

> Just noticed this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14007843/kde453.png
>
> A quick glance at the kubuntu-ppa site in Launchpad reveals that it's
> KDE 4.5.3 that has arrived in the Kubuntu backports repository for
> Lucid.
>
> Has anybody tried to upgrade yet?

I have been using it on pclos for a couple of weeks now, works great and
addresses many of our concerns about its format limits.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Isak Enström

Thanks for the replies, guess I'm going to try to update tomorrow then. I just
hope that this upgrade won't mess something up like when I upgraded from 4.4.2
-> 4.5.1, I had to update my graphics drivers from the X-updates ppa.

--
// Isak

Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Mark Fraser

On Sunday 21 Nov 2010 18:58:44 Isak Enström wrote:

> Thanks for the replies, guess I'm going to try to update tomorrow then. I

> just hope that this upgrade won't mess something up like when I upgraded

> from 4.4.2 -> 4.5.1, I had to update my graphics drivers from the

> X-updates ppa.

Just make sure you use aptitude rather than apt-get if you're doing it from the command line as apt-get will want to remove kubuntu-desktop.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Georgi Kourtev

On Monday, November 22, 2010 12:04:01 am Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Sunday 21 Nov 2010 18:58:44 Isak Enström wrote:
> > Thanks for the replies, guess I'm going to try to update tomorrow then. I
> > just hope that this upgrade won't mess something up like when I upgraded
> > from 4.4.2 -> 4.5.1, I had to update my graphics drivers from the
> > X-updates ppa.
>
> Just make sure you use aptitude rather than apt-get if you're doing it from
> the command line as apt-get will want to remove kubuntu-desktop.

I think this was a temporary issue at some point when the packages were either
broken or not fully uploaded. I have machines working after I used apt-get.
gk

Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Isak Enström

On 11/21/2010 04:04 PM, Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Sunday 21 Nov 2010 18:58:44 Isak Enström wrote:
>> Thanks for the replies, guess I'm going to try to update tomorrow then. I
>> just hope that this upgrade won't mess something up like when I upgraded
>> from 4.4.2 -> 4.5.1, I had to update my graphics drivers from the
>> X-updates ppa.
>
> Just make sure you use aptitude rather than apt-get if you're doing it from
> the command line as apt-get will want to remove kubuntu-desktop.

Really? That's good to know, I used apt-get dist-upgrade the last time
but I remember someone posting to this list about something similar when
upgrading to 4.5.3

--
// Isak

Old 11-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Myriam Schweingruber

Hi all,

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 23:04, Mark Fraser
<ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday 21 Nov 2010 18:58:44 Isak Enström wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the replies, guess I'm going to try to update tomorrow then. I
>
>> just hope that this upgrade won't mess something up like when I upgraded
>
>> from 4.4.2 -> 4.5.1, I had to update my graphics drivers from the
>
>> X-updates ppa.
>
> Just make sure you use aptitude rather than apt-get if you're doing it from
> the command line as apt-get will want to remove kubuntu-desktop.

Kubuntu-desktop being a meta package it can be removed safely without
disturbing the system.

Anyway, this should be solved now, make sure you use apt-get
dist-upgrade so all dependencies can be resolved correctly. This
should always be the preferred method on version bumps

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org

Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Mark Fraser

On Tuesday 23 Nov 2010 11:12:16 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:

> Hi all,

> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 23:04, Mark Fraser

> <ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:

> > On Sunday 21 Nov 2010 18:58:44 Isak Enström wrote:

> >> Thanks for the replies, guess I'm going to try to update tomorrow then.

> >> just hope that this upgrade won't mess something up like when I upgraded

> >> from 4.4.2 -> 4.5.1, I had to update my graphics drivers from the

> >> X-updates ppa.

> > Just make sure you use aptitude rather than apt-get if you're doing it

> > from the command line as apt-get will want to remove kubuntu-desktop.

> Kubuntu-desktop being a meta package it can be removed safely without

> disturbing the system.

> Anyway, this should be solved now, make sure you use apt-get

> dist-upgrade so all dependencies can be resolved correctly. This

> should always be the preferred method on version bumps.

If you're planning on upgrading 10.10 soon then a word of warning, you may have a lot of work to do. I had to remove kubuntu-desktop, upgrade, reboot, re-enable the kubuntu ppas and then update a few times.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Isak Enström

On Tuesday 23 November 2010 12.49.25 Mark Fraser wrote:
> If you're planning on upgrading 10.10 soon then a word of warning, you may
> have a lot of work to do. I had to remove kubuntu-desktop, upgrade, reboot,
> re-enable the kubuntu ppas and then update a few times.

Finally took the time to do the upgrade last night, everything is running
smooth and well. It definitely feels snappier than before and this time I
didn't get any unpleasant surprises.

Not going to upgrade to 10.10 on this machine, and I usually make semi-clean
installs anyway, formatting / and erasing most dot-files and folders from my
/home

--
// Isak