Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 AM
GeraldCC

Default copying VHS video tapes to DVD

Hi Guys,
I am running the server version of Ubuntu with KUbuntu KDE4 front end. Version
10.10.
I would like to image my VHS video tapes to DVD but have problems getting the
video into Linux. I cannot copy the tapes even under Win$. the copy program
says the tape is protected.--even from 20 years ago.
Any thoughts on a Linux way copy copying the tapes?
Hardware/software????
Gerald

Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 PM
pierre jocelyn andre

I record my VHS with kaffeine. Kaffeine give the format m2t with Hauppauge WinTV NOVA

Ubuntu 7.04 Kubuntu 7.04 ----->Ubuntu 10.10 or Kubuntu 10.10
Debian lenny
*

Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Steve Grace

On 11/20/2010 11:59 PM, GeraldCC wrote:

> I am running the server version of Ubuntu with KUbuntu KDE4 front end. Version
> 10.10.
> I would like to image my VHS video tapes to DVD but have problems getting the
> video into Linux. I cannot copy the tapes even under Win$. the copy program
> says the tape is protected.--even from 20 years ago.
> Any thoughts on a Linux way copy copying the tapes?
> Hardware/software????

Starting in 1984, some commercial VHS movies had copy protection (using
the Macrovision system).

I haven't tried this, but supposedly there's a hardware device that can
be connected after the VHS deck to defeat the copy protection.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:25 PM
pierre jocelyn andre

sorry it is translate to french :
I've
never had any problems, I think it may have come from my VHS professional player and* amp that I have in VHS output to connect multiple TV or
Ubuntu with kaffeine.

the solution is professional equipment followed by an amplifier VHS. Then a video capture card on Ubuntu

Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Frans Ketelaars

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 08:50:14 -0800, Steve Grace wrote:

> On 11/20/2010 11:59 PM, GeraldCC wrote:
>
>> I am running the server version of Ubuntu with KUbuntu KDE4 front end.
>> Version 10.10.
>> I would like to image my VHS video tapes to DVD but have problems
>> getting the video into Linux. I cannot copy the tapes even under Win$.
>> the copy program says the tape is protected.--even from 20 years ago.
>> Any thoughts on a Linux way copy copying the tapes?
>> Hardware/software????
>
> Starting in 1984, some commercial VHS movies had copy protection (using
> the Macrovision system).
>
> I haven't tried this, but supposedly there's a hardware device that can
> be connected after the VHS deck to defeat the copy protection.

Yes, and http://www.infocellar.com/DVD/macrovision.htm says: "PC Video
Capture Cards - 90% of the video capture cards remove Macrovision as
well."

Good luck!

-Frans

Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM
GeraldCC

On Monday, November 22, 2010 01:44:15 am pierre jocelyn andre wrote:
> 2010/11/21 pierre jocelyn andre <temps.jo@gmail.com>
>
> > I record my VHS with kaffeine. Kaffeine give the format m2t with
> > Hauppauge WinTV NOVA
>
> Ubuntu 7.04 Kubuntu 7.04 ----->Ubuntu 10.10 or Kubuntu 10.10
> Debian lenny
Ubuntu Server 10.10 + KUbuntu KDE4 front end.
Gerald

Old 11-22-2010, 04:07 AM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 11/21/2010 11:50 AM, Steve Grace wrote:

On 11/20/2010 11:59 PM, GeraldCC wrote:

I am running the server version of Ubuntu with KUbuntu KDE4 front end. Version
10.10.
I would like to image my VHS video tapes to DVD but have problems getting the
video into Linux. I cannot copy the tapes even under Win$. the copy program
says the tape is protected.--even from 20 years ago.
Any thoughts on a Linux way copy copying the tapes?
Hardware/software????

Starting in 1984, some commercial VHS movies had copy protection (using
the Macrovision system).

I haven't tried this, but supposedly there's a hardware device that can
be connected after the VHS deck to defeat the copy protection.

There's a "box" that you can put in line with the video and audio
coming out of

the VHS called a "TV Box." It has a USB output which Linux will see
and be able

to record. You can then burn a DVD.

Fred