Old 11-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Gerardo

Default Audio: spdif output

On Lucid, my sound card was able to output simultaneously to the desktop
speakers and the spdif output. I did a 10.10 clean install and now I
can't do it anymore. All audio output only goes to the desktop speakers
only. If I do

mplayer sample.ogg -ao alsa:device=spdif

the audio correctly goes to the spdif (but not the desktop speakers), so
it's not a hardware problem. I tried changing all the values at
alsamixer, but it didn't help. I tried removing pulseaudio, and still
no luck. Any ideas?

Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 07:56 -0500, Gerardo wrote:
> On Lucid, my sound card was able to output simultaneously to the desktop
> speakers and the spdif output. I did a 10.10 clean install and now I
> can't do it anymore. All audio output only goes to the desktop speakers
> only. If I do
>
> mplayer sample.ogg -ao alsa:device=spdif
>
> the audio correctly goes to the spdif (but not the desktop speakers), so
> it's not a hardware problem. I tried changing all the values at
> alsamixer, but it didn't help. I tried removing pulseaudio, and still
> no luck. Any ideas?

Yeah, uninstall kubuntu, freshly install Ubuntu, then add KDE back as an
add-on. They've seriously borked sound and haven't addressed the issue.
I'm unsubscribing for awhile, as I just can't take the pain of reading
this issue several times ~~every week~~. Someone is seriously asleep at
the switch. Once they get at least to the sometimes flawed functionality
of Ubuntu, I'll check back. Good night and good luck. Ric

Linux user# 44256