Old 11-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Jerry Lapham

Default Java newbie

I'm brand new to running java programs and Superbcalc looks just what I've
been looking for - a non-scientific calculator with a "tape." I can't get it
to run, so I sent the following to the author:

SuperbCalc looks like just the application I've been looking for.
Unfortunately, when I try to run it I get

jerry@JERRY-HP:~/Downloads$ java superbcalc.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: superbcalc/jar
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: superbcalc.jar
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 217)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:205)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 21)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launche r.java:294)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 66)
Could not find the main class: superbcalc.jar. Program will exit.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm running Kubuntu 10.04 Linux.

-Jerry

It's been over a month with no response. Anyone here a java expert who could
tell me what the error messages mean?

-Jerry

Old 11-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 21:41 -0500, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> I'm brand new to running java programs and Superbcalc looks just what I've
> been looking for - a non-scientific calculator with a "tape." I can't get it
> to run, so I sent the following to the author:
>
> SuperbCalc looks like just the application I've been looking for.
> Unfortunately, when I try to run it I get
>
> jerry@JERRY-HP:~/Downloads$ java superbcalc.jar
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: superbcalc/jar
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: superbcalc.jar
> at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 217)
> at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:205)
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 21)
> at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launche r.java:294)
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 66)
> Could not find the main class: superbcalc.jar. Program will exit.
>
> Is there something I'm missing? I'm running Kubuntu 10.04 Linux.
>
> -Jerry
>
> It's been over a month with no response. Anyone here a java expert who could
> tell me what the error messages mean?

Sure, I think I replied before... what does java -version return for
you?

wayward4now@iam:/opt$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
wayward4now@iam:/opt$

If you see something like open-JDK that ain't the real deal. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Jerry Lapham

On Monday, November 15, 2010 01:17:33 am Ric Moore wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 21:41 -0500, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > I'm brand new to running java programs and Superbcalc looks just what
> > I've been looking for - a non-scientific calculator with a "tape." I
> > can't get it to run, so I sent the following to the author:
> >
> > SuperbCalc looks like just the application I've been looking for.
> > Unfortunately, when I try to run it I get
> >
> > jerry@JERRY-HP:~/Downloads$ java superbcalc.jar
> > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: superbcalc/jar
> > Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: superbcalc.jar
> >
> > at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 217)
> > at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:205)
> > at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 21)
> > at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launche r.java:294)
> > at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 66)
> >
> > Could not find the main class: superbcalc.jar. Program will exit.
> >
> > Is there something I'm missing? I'm running Kubuntu 10.04 Linux.
> >
> > -Jerry
> >
> > It's been over a month with no response. Anyone here a java expert who
> > could tell me what the error messages mean?
>
> Sure, I think I replied before... what does java -version return for
> you?
>
> wayward4now@iam:/opt$ java -version
> java version "1.6.0_22"
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
> wayward4now@iam:/opt$
>
> If you see something like open-JDK that ain't the real deal. Ric

That's what I get:

jerry@JERRY-HP:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.2) (6b18-1.8.2-4ubuntu2)
jerry@JERRY-HP:~$

So what's the real deal and how do you get it?

-Jerry

Old 11-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

Jerry,

On 15 November 2010 02:41, Jerry Lapham <rjlapham@gmail.com> wrote:
> jerry@JERRY-HP:~/Downloads$ java superbcalc.jar
The correct syntax is java -jar superbcalc.jar

Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Ric,

On 15 November 2010 06:17, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you see something like open-JDK that ain't the real deal. Ric
That's a nice piece of FUD there.OpenJDK is the open source
implementation of Java based on source code opened by Sun.

Jerry only has the Java invocation incorrect, nothing else.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 01:20 -0500, Jerry Lapham wrote:

> That's what I get:
>
> jerry@JERRY-HP:~$ java -version
> java version "1.6.0_18"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.2) (6b18-1.8.2-4ubuntu2)
> jerry@JERRY-HP:~$
>
> So what's the real deal and how do you get it?

Just pop open synaptic, or your favorite package installer
and search on 'sun'. You should see the sun-java jdk package. That is
the real deal! You'll be pleased. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 14:43 +0000, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> Ric,
>
> On 15 November 2010 06:17, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you see something like open-JDK that ain't the real deal. Ric
> That's a nice piece of FUD there.OpenJDK is the open source
> implementation of Java based on source code opened by Sun.
>
> Jerry only has the Java invocation incorrect, nothing else.

Not so, young Master Luke. For really java intensive applications like
the Wonderland project. Open JDK ~does not work~. That entire list of
folks running it will tell you so. Been there, got the t-shirt. So, why
not just get the entire real deal, when it's right there available? I
can't count the times I've recommended the same procedure and later been
told that fixed the problems. OpenJDK, in my experience, is not 100%
pure because certain applications fold like a house of cards. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 11-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Jerry Lapham

On Monday, November 15, 2010 02:50:14 am Hakan Koseoglu wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> On 15 November 2010 02:41, Jerry Lapham <rjlapham@gmail.com> wrote:
> > jerry@JERRY-HP:~/Downloads$ java superbcalc.jar
>
> The correct syntax is java -jar superbcalc.jar

On my second try, I got that same response from the author and it works great!
Guess I'll wait to download the Sun/Oracle version until something doesn't
work.

I've been looking for - a non-scientific calculator with a "tape" ever since
the old 16-bit OS/2 Calculator. If anyone here needs one, I highly recommend
it. Just Google "superbcalc".

Thanks to all who responded.

-Jerry

Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 PM
"O. Sinclair"

On 15/11/2010 21:28, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> On Monday, November 15, 2010 02:50:14 am Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>
>> Jerry,
>>
>> On 15 November 2010 02:41, Jerry Lapham<rjlapham@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> jerry@JERRY-HP:~/Downloads$ java superbcalc.jar
>>
>> The correct syntax is java -jar superbcalc.jar
>
> On my second try, I got that same response from the author and it works great!
> Guess I'll wait to download the Sun/Oracle version until something doesn't
> work.
>
> I've been looking for - a non-scientific calculator with a "tape" ever since
> the old 16-bit OS/2 Calculator. If anyone here needs one, I highly recommend
> it. Just Google "superbcalc".
>
> Thanks to all who responded.

You could have a look at Speedcrunch from the repos, I use it much the
same way I think you intend.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Valter Mura

In data luned́ 15 novembre 2010 15:43:33, Hakan Koseoglu ha scritto:

> Ric,
>
> On 15 November 2010 06:17, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you see something like open-JDK that ain't the real deal. Ric
>
> That's a nice piece of FUD there.OpenJDK is the open source
> implementation of Java based on source code opened by Sun.
>
> Jerry only has the Java invocation incorrect, nothing else.

I agree. I downloaded it to test and it works correctly with the correct
invocation.

--
Valter
Kubuntu Linux: www.kubuntu.org