Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

Default K-Mail in Kontact @ Kubuntu 10.10: IMAP and Address Book.

On Thursday 11 November 2010, Bas Roufs wrote:
> So far, I did not manage to find "KDE Resources"
> anywhere else.

You can still find it if you use the "classic tree view" instead of
the default one. In both cases, it's hidden under "personal
information" now.

--Reinhold

Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 14:56 +0100, Bas. G. Roufs M.A. wrote:

> To begin with the first question: I am trying to configure KMAIL for my GMAIL
> account. I do manage so far to effectively configure the outgoing e-mail: SMTP.
> Also this mail has been sent via KMAIL. The trial mails I have sent so far
> from K-Mail, did arrive properly. However, checking the INCOMING mail is still
> a problem. This file contains 2 screenshots summarising the problem:
> http://rainbowgathering.eu/K-Mail.pdf
> The first screenshot shows where my attempt stucks to retreive messages via
> "disconnected" IMAP. At 30 or 31%, the process stagnates and the connection
> seems to "time out".

I never had any luck with IMAP using evolution with gmail. So, I just
reverted back to pop. Ric
Linux user# 44256

Old 11-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Bas Roufs

> * archiving and/ or deleting all the messages older than let's say 3
>
> > months? * is it possible to prevent KMail from downloading the archive?
>
> One thing to speed things up is to RMB-click on the GMail account, select
> "Serverside subscription" and de-select the "All Mail" folder.

I have done so yesterday. Indeed, the synchronisation process seems to
go slightly smoother. However, another 3 or 4 attempts overnight have
failed. Also taking into account this reaction:

> I never had any luck with IMAP using evolution with gmail. So, I just
> reverted back to pop. Ric

I focus now on archiving old messages I want to keep and deleting many
irrelevant ones. After this, I will again try to sync via
"disconnected IMAP" and get back to this forum with my experience.
Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Bas Roufs

2010/11/11 Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger@web.de>:
> On Thursday 11 November 2010, Bas Roufs wrote:
>> So far, I did not manage to find "KDE Resources"
>> anywhere else.
>
> You can still find it if you use the "classic tree view" instead of
> the default one. In both cases, it's hidden under "personal
> information" now.

Yesterday I did manage to find "KDE Resources" under "personal
information", because of which I solved several questions, e.g. the
one with respect to the addressbook.
One little questions remains: what means in this context "classical
tree view" and how can I generate it?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Friday 12 November 2010 09:17:00 Bas Roufs wrote:
> > * archiving and/ or deleting all the messages older than let's say 3
> >
> > > months? * is it possible to prevent KMail from downloading the archive?
> >
> > One thing to speed things up is to RMB-click on the GMail account, select
> > "Serverside subscription" and de-select the "All Mail" folder.
>
> I have done so yesterday. Indeed, the synchronisation process seems to
> go slightly smoother. However, another 3 or 4 attempts overnight have
>
> failed. Also taking into account this reaction:
> > I never had any luck with IMAP using evolution with gmail. So, I just
> > reverted back to pop. Ric
>
> I focus now on archiving old messages I want to keep and deleting many
> irrelevant ones. After this, I will again try to sync via
> "disconnected IMAP" and get back to this forum with my experience.
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

I don't have as much mail as you (<1GB in 25 folders) but it runs reasonably
smooth with normal IMAP. Once in a while, but not very often, the KMail/GMail
combo gets stuck but then it's just restarting the app.
I hope it will work out for you. I've been a happy KMail user for around a
decade :-)

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Dropbox and my thumb drive had an epic battle. Dropbox won.
http://db.tt/T0p6d6L

Old 11-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Jim MacLeod

On Friday 12 November 2010 08:24:22 Bas Roufs wrote:
<snip>
> One little questions remains: what means in this context "classical
> tree view" and how can I generate it?

In this particular instance - go to System Settings/Configure andselct the
option. Tree view simply displays files etc as text rather than icons. It's a
standard option throughout most KDE apps.

Jim

Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Bas Roufs

2010/11/12 Jim MacLeod <trym.side@blueyonder.co.uk>
(...)
> > One little questions remains: what means in this context "classical
> > tree view" and how can I generate it?
>
> In this particular instance - go to System Settings/Configure andselct the
> option. Tree view simply displays files etc as text rather than icons. It's a
> standard option throughout most KDE apps.

Upon receiving this e-mail, I immediately tried out what you advice
above. This "tree view" mode makes "System Settings" much more clear
to me. Thanks for this very useful info!

Respectfully yours,

Bas.