Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
"Bas. G. Roufs M.A."

Default K-Mail in Kontact @ Kubuntu 10.10: IMAP and Address Book.

Dear everybody

Yesterday I upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10. The version of "Kontact" that comes
with the newest edition of Kubuntu, seems to function considerably more
smoothly compared to it's predecessors. Compliments for the software designers
who must have had a very tough job!

Notwithstanding the overall progress, there are still a few rough edges to
deal with. In this mail I deal with two of them:
* how to effectively enable myself to receive mail via "IMAP"?
* how to instruct K-Mail using the address book I have imported?

To begin with the first question: I am trying to configure KMAIL for my GMAIL
account. I do manage so far to effectively configure the outgoing e-mail: SMTP.
Also this mail has been sent via KMAIL. The trial mails I have sent so far
from K-Mail, did arrive properly. However, checking the INCOMING mail is still
a problem. This file contains 2 screenshots summarising the problem:
http://rainbowgathering.eu/K-Mail.pdf
The first screenshot shows where my attempt stucks to retreive messages via
"disconnected" IMAP. At 30 or 31%, the process stagnates and the connection
seems to "time out".
The 2nd screenshot has been made after configuring a "normal" IMAP account for
incoming mail. The e-mail check already stagnates in an even earlier stage in
a so-called "connection time-out".
Two questions in this context:
What exactly is the difference between "disconnected" and "normal" IMAP? So
far, I did not find anywhere an answer to this question.
Is there anything I can change in the settings in order to enable myself to
retreive the messages?

Finally, the addressbook issue. The addressbook I have imported in Kontact, is
being called "Personal contacts". However, when composing this message and
pressing the button "Select", that specific addressbook is not being mentioned
in the list of addressbooks. And when selecting the "default" address book, no
address at all shows up. Is there a way: ....
either to instruct KMAIL to use the "personal addressbook"?
or to define the "personal" addressbook as the "default" one?

Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.

================================
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
Netherlands, EU
E-mail: BasRoufs@gmail.com
Mobile/SMS: +31 6 446 835 10
Tel. +31 30 785 20 40

Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Thursday 11 November 2010, Bas. G. Roufs M.A. wrote:
> What exactly is the difference between "disconnected" and "normal"
> IMAP? So far, I did not find anywhere an answer to this question.

I don't think you can have looked very thoroughly - disconnected will
keep a local copy of the remote IMAP account, so that you can access
your account even when you don't have internet access. It also has
some advantages on a highly unstable connection like mine, since I
won't have to wait through several connection attempts until a
message download succeeds.

As far as the timeout thing is concerned: depending on the amount of
messages you have and how reliable your internet connection is, this
may happen. Usually, KMail should simply be able to use the partial
message list. Simply cancel the action and try again.
It you have a large amount of messages, and a cluster of them are big
messages (say, several MBs), disconnected mode may stall a little.
Just let the first synchronisation process run overnight.

Also, you should be aware that KMail's IMAP implementation is
somewhat minimalist and brittle. I run into trouble when I re-tag a
large amount of messages in google's gmail interface as KMail has to
download them all, but after a couple of attempts it usually
succeeds.

--Reinhold

Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Isak Enström

About the address book issue, it's a known problem. See http://bit.ly/a5erja
--
// Isak Enström

Old 11-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Bas Roufs

>> What exactly is the difference between "disconnected" and "normal" IMAP?

> I don't think you can have looked very thoroughly - disconnected will
> keep a local copy of the remote IMAP account, so that you can access
> your account even when you don't have internet access.

This is exactly what I was hoping for, but I did not find a
confirmation about it before receiving your reply.

> As far as the timeout thing is concerned: depending on the amount of
> messages you have and how reliable your internet connection is, this
> may happen. Usually, KMail should simply be able to use the partial
> message list. Simply cancel the action and try again.
> It you have a large amount of messages, and a cluster of them are big
> messages (say, several MBs), disconnected mode may stall a little.
> Just let the first synchronisation process run overnight.

I did run a first synchronisation process overnight and carry out
several attempts already. But this did not work. This may have to do
with the amount of messages I have: about 20.000 in the Inbox and
several more in the archive. Already more than 6,3GB of the available
8 GB of my inbox is in use right now. That's why I am wondering what I
could do to limit the number of messages to be downloaded by KMail/
disconnected IMAP:
* archiving and/ or deleting all the messages older than let's say 3 months?
* is it possible to prevent KMail from downloading the archive?

> Also, you should be aware that KMail's IMAP implementation is
> somewhat minimalist and brittle. I run into trouble when I re-tag a
> large amount of messages in google's gmail interface as KMail has to
> download them all, but after a couple of attempts it usually
> succeeds.

Useful that you mention this ......

Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Bas Roufs

> About the address book issue, it's a known problem. See http://bit.ly/a5erja

When checking out the instructions you point at, I come in another
strange problem. The key part of the instructions are the following:
"Check System Settings -> Advanced tab -> KDE Resources. Make sure
that your Akonadi controlled address book(s) are listed there - add
them if necessary."
As such, those instructions are crystal clear. BUT: when going to
"System settings" in Kubuntu 10.10, the "advanced" tab is NOT there
any more. It was still there if I remember it correctly in version
10.04. However, in this version the "advanced" tab has been vanished.
So far, I did not manage to find "KDE Resources" anywhere else.

Also the question how to set the personal addressbook as default, has
been clearly answered:
"Again, your distribution may have already done this for you, but
check SystemSettings > Advanced tab > KDE Resources. Make sure that
the resources listed there are enabled, then use the 'Set as Standard'
button on 'akonadi-resource Personal'. This will make the Personal
Contacts addressbook available to KMail."

However, here we have the same problem: I cannot find "KDE Resources"
because the "advanced tab" is vanished.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Thomas Olsen

On Thursday 11 November 2010 16:33:33 Bas Roufs wrote:
> I did run a first synchronisation process overnight and carry out
> several attempts already. But this did not work. This may have to do
> with the amount of messages I have: about 20.000 in the Inbox and
> several more in the archive. Already more than 6,3GB of the available
> 8 GB of my inbox is in use right now. That's why I am wondering what I
> could do to limit the number of messages to be downloaded by KMail/
> disconnected IMAP:
> * archiving and/ or deleting all the messages older than let's say 3
> months? * is it possible to prevent KMail from downloading the archive?

One thing to speed things up is to RMB-click on the GMail account, select
"Serverside subscription" and de-select the "All Mail" folder.

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Dropbox and my thumb drive had an epic battle. Dropbox won.
http://db.tt/T0p6d6L