Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

Default kde4 package lag?

Let me preface this by saying that I don't want anyone to take this as
a complaint, but I'm just curious.

What is the lag time between code being in the kde4 tree and a package
getting pushed to the hardy/gutsty-backport repos?

I only ask because it appears that the code to make the panel
configurable has been checked-in to the tree. This was one of my
biggest qualms about plasma in general, so I'm eager to get my grubby
little hands on it.

Again, just curious.

-Jared

Old 02-01-2008, 09:50 PM
cary Bielenberg

I'm curious for a different reason, I have been waiting since Monday for
these packages to upload so I can go back to KDE4 instead on my machine
wanting to un-install it. my error message...
root@stinkpad:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
root@stinkpad:~#

Am I in isolation with this problem? I have found a bug in launchpad but
only 1 response besides mine. I would love some feedback to how
widespread this problem is.

Cary

Old 02-01-2008, 10:02 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

what version of those packages are you running?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 PM
cary Bielenberg

output from "apt-get install kdebase-runtime"

root@stinkpad:~# apt-get install kdebase-runtime

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

* kdebase-runtime: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen (>= 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu2)
but
4:4.0.0-0************************************************* ************************************************
ubuntu1 is to be installed

****************** Depends: kdebase-runtime-data (>=
4:4.0.0-0ubuntu2) but
4:4.0********************************************* ************************************************** **
.0-0ubuntu1 is to be installed

E: Broken packages

root@stinkpad:~#

Cary

Old 02-01-2008, 10:44 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

hardy or gutsy? I don't see that oxygen ubuntu2 package as a dep for
kdebase-runtime on either my gutsy or hardy systems. Here's the
output of dpkg -s kdebase-runtime on both my systems...

gutsy$ dpkg -s kdebase-runtime
Package: kdebase-runtime
Section: kde
Installed-Size: 3904
Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1~gutsy1
Replaces: kdebase-runtime-bin
Depends: kde-icons-oxygen, kdebase-runtime, kdebase-runtime-data,
kdelibs5 (>= 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1~gutsy1), libc6 (>= 2.6-1), libclucene0
(>= 0.9.16a-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.2.1), libopenexr2c2a (>= 1.2.2),
libphonon4, libqt4-core (>= 4.3.2), libqt4-gui (>= 4.3.2),
libqt4-qt3support (>= 4.3.2), libsmbclient (>= 3.0.2a-1), libsoprano4,
libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1), libstreamanalyzer0, libstrigiqtdbusclient0,
libx11-6, libxcb1, libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxine1 (>= 1.1.4),
kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 (= 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1~gutsy1),
kdebase-runtime-data (>= 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1~gutsy1), kde-icons-oxygen
(>= 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1~gutsy1), dbus-x11
Conflicts: kdebase-runtime-bin
KDE (the K Desktop Environment) is a powerful Open Source graphical desktop
environment for Unix workstations. It combines ease of use, contemporary
functionality, and outstanding graphical design with the technological
superiority of the Unix operating system.
.
This package contains miscellaneous programs needed at runtime by other
KDE applications.

hardy$ dpkg -s kdebase-runtime-bin
Package: kdebase-runtime-bin
Section: kde
Installed-Size: 3828
Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1
Replaces: kdebase-runtime-bin
Depends: dbus-x11, kde-icons-oxygen (>= 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1),
kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 (= 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1), kdebase-runtime-data
(>= 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1), kdelibs5 (>= 4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1), libc6 (>=
2.7-1), libclucene0ldbl (>= 0.9.20-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-21),
libopenexr2ldbl (>= 1.2.2), libphonon4, libqt4-core (>= 4.3.3),
libqt4-gui (>= 4.3.3), libqt4-qt3support (>= 4.3.3), libsmbclient (>=
3.0.2a-1), libsoprano4, libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-21), libstreamanalyzer0,
libstrigiqtdbusclient0, libx11-6, libxcb1, libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2),
libxine1 (>= 1.1.8)

Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
"Richard A. Johnson"

On Friday 01 February 2008, Jared Greenwald wrote:
| Let me preface this by saying that I don't want anyone to take this as
| a complaint, but I'm just curious.

Quit complaining! hehe, just kidding

| What is the lag time between code being in the kde4 tree and a package
| getting pushed to the hardy/gutsty-backport repos?

The lag time as you call it would be the time which you see them applied in
upstream SVN, and the release day for KDE 4 packages. Our next release is
4.0.1, which those packages have been tagged (typically a week before their
actual release which gives distributions the chance to have them packaged and
ready for release day). So next week, on KDE 4.0.1 release day, we will go
ahead and release the new packages.

| I only ask because it appears that the code to make the panel
| configurable has been checked-in to the tree. This was one of my
| biggest qualms about plasma in general, so I'm eager to get my grubby
| little hands on it.

It depends on what you mean by "configurable" in this case for the plasma panel.
4.0.1 will include some updates which will provide more configuration choices,
however it seems as if the change which many are looking for, the ability to
change its size, was just introduced into the code repository, which means we
won't see it more than likely until next month (March), or the 4.0.2 release.

Right now you will see KDE 4 feature changes on a monthly basis as that is what
we (KDE) have decided on for the KDE 4 release schedule at this time.

4.0.1 February
4.0.2 March
4.0.3 April
4.0.4 May
4.0.5 June
4.0.6 July
4.1.0 August

Hope this helps a bit.

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal@kubuntu.org

Old 02-01-2008, 11:16 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that updates came out
between KDE releases, but I suppose those are probably more for bug
fixes than features.

Thanks for the information though.

-Jared