Old 11-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Clay Weber

Default setting konq default view

On Saturday 24 November 2007 12:15:54 pm D. R. Evans wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I don't understand at all what you are telling me to
> do. All I want to do is to set konq so that by default I see a tree
> view instead of those ridiculous icons. I don't see anything that even
> remotely tells me that in your reply :-(
>
> I can't be the only one here who hates uninformative icons when trying
> to manage files, and I'm sure that it must be easy to change (I know
> I've done it a bunch of times in the past -- I've been using KDE since
> 2000, so this is really embarrassing; but for some reason this time I
> don't seem to be able to find the right combination of functions to
> make the change permanent).

Personally, I like icons, though I do prefer to have a tree view in
a 'navigation view' in Konq.

To get a default tree view, open Konqueror, go to the View menu. select the
view you want, plus any other view settings you like. Then go to the Settings
menu, and select 'save view profile <whatever view profile name>', and save
it from there. If you usually start Konq from the Kmenu's Internet section,
it will open with the profile 'Web Browsing', for example.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 11-25-2007, 03:27 AM
Anton Rolls

Hi,

D. R. Evans wrote:
> On 23/11/2007, Anton Rolls <anton@wilddsl.net.au> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> D. R. Evans wrote:
>>> I know I have done this in the past, but I can't find my notes anywhere :-(
>>>
>>> In konq, how do I configure it so that whenever I use it as a file
>>> manager, I always get a tree view instead of icons?
>>>
>>> Sorry to ask such a basic question. I've looked in all the menus, and
>>> I can't find anything that suggests that it will change the default
>>> view. I tried setting the view to tree view and then saving the
>>> profile, thinking that surely that would work -- it didn't :-(
>
>> Go to console and select the profile:
>>
>> konqueror --profile "Detailed File Management"
>>
>> ("Detailed File Management" is the profile I created myself,
>> using Konqueror's gui interface.)
>>
>> You can also list the available profiles:
>>
>> man konqueror
>>
>> When I look in the KDE Menu Editor, I see the command line
>> for Konqueror is:
>>
>> kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing
>>
>> Changing the profile works:
>>
>> kfmclient openProfile "Detailed File Management"
>>

> I'm sorry, but I don't understand at all what you are telling me to
> do. All I want to do is to set konq so that by default I see a tree
> view instead of those ridiculous icons. I don't see anything that even
> remotely tells me that in your reply :-(
>
> I can't be the only one here who hates uninformative icons when trying
> to manage files, and I'm sure that it must be easy to change (I know
> I've done it a bunch of times in the past -- I've been using KDE since
> 2000, so this is really embarrassing; but for some reason this time I
> don't seem to be able to find the right combination of functions to
> make the change permanent).

Ok, open Konqueror, navigate to a folder, set view to "Tree View".
Now go to Settings/Configure View Profiles, enter "Tree View" as the
profile name and press "Save".

Now, if you open Konsole and type:

konqueror --profiles

you should see your new profile "Tree View" listed.
If you now type:

konqueror --profile "Tree View"

Konqueror should pop open in tree view mode.
("Great!" you're thinking, "now it works in the console, I can make an
icon.")

Right-click on the K Menu start button and select "Menu Editor".
Open "Internet" and click "Web Browser (Konqueror)".
Change the Command line from:

kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing
to:
kfmclient openProfile "Tree View"

Save and test it in the K Menu.
You can also drag your new menu item from the K Menu to the quick launch
area to copy your changes there.

Regards,

Anton.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
"D. R. Evans"

On 24/11/2007, Anton Rolls <anton@wilddsl.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> D. R. Evans wrote:
> > On 23/11/2007, Anton Rolls <anton@wilddsl.net.au> wrote:
> >> Hi,

> Ok, open Konqueror, navigate to a folder, set view to "Tree View".
> Now go to Settings/Configure View Profiles, enter "Tree View" as the
> profile name and press "Save".
>
> Now, if you open Konsole and type:
>
> konqueror --profiles
>
> you should see your new profile "Tree View" listed.
> If you now type:
>
> konqueror --profile "Tree View"
>
> Konqueror should pop open in tree view mode.

Nope.

What happens is:

konq opens with a blank page (which is fine, I am happy with that). I
click the little "home" iconm and I get the about:konqueror "Conquer
Your Desktop" page. That's also fine. Now I click "Home Folder" and I
see... those pesky icons that I can't get rid of instead of the
desired tree view :-(

Old 11-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Karl

Did you miss the reply from Derek Broughton? This actually works:

D. R. Evans wrote:

> > I know I have done this in the past, but I can't find my notes anywhere
> > :-(
> >
> > In konq, how do I configure it so that whenever I use it as a file
> > manager, I always get a tree view instead of icons?
> >
> > Sorry to ask such a basic question.

It's not SO basic. I used konqueror for years, continually frustrated by
this, before finally asking here :-)

> > I've looked in all the menus, and
> > I can't find anything that suggests that it will change the default
> > view. I tried setting the view to tree view and then saving the
> > profile, thinking that surely that would work -- it didn't :-(

I noticed :-(

In the konqueror configuration: File Associations, in the "known types" box,
select inode/directory, and in the Embedding tab, select Tree View
(kong_treeview).

Happy to pass it on...

Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Karl said the following at 11/27/2007 11:20 AM :
> Did you miss the reply from Derek Broughton? This actually works:

I did.

I saw it late yesterday, then forgot about it, and when I made the mistake
of looking at my mail with gmail instead of Thunderbird this morning, it
compressed Derek's e-mail on the screen so I didn't remember that he'd sent
something that sounded helpful.

And yes, it does work. Thank you so much Derek for providing the answer,
and Karl for reminding me.

Doc

Old 11-27-2007, 10:39 PM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 4:49:52 pm D. R. Evans wrote:
> Karl said the following at 11/27/2007 11:20 AM :
> > Did you miss the reply from Derek Broughton? This actually works:
>
> I did.
>
> I saw it late yesterday, then forgot about it, and when I made the mistake
> of looking at my mail with gmail instead of Thunderbird this morning, it
> compressed Derek's e-mail on the screen so I didn't remember that he'd sent
> something that sounded helpful.
>
> And yes, it does work. Thank you so much Derek for providing the answer,
> and Karl for reminding me.

If you're really a doc, I'm glad you're not operating on me. ;-)

--
You have literary talent that you should take pains to develop.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Derek Broughton

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Karl said the following at 11/27/2007 11:20 AM :
>> Did you miss the reply from Derek Broughton? This actually works:
>>

> I saw it late yesterday, then forgot about it, and when I made the mistake
> of looking at my mail with gmail instead of Thunderbird this morning, it
> compressed Derek's e-mail on the screen so I didn't remember that he'd
> sent something that sounded helpful.
>
> And yes, it does work. Thank you so much Derek for providing the answer,
> and Karl for reminding me.

LOL. That about sums up my usual experience when somebody gives me good
advice that I'm not in a position to take advantage of immediately :-)
--
derek