-   -   Corrupted file on MP4 (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/44965-corrupted-file-mp4.html)

Nigel Ridley 02-01-2008 07:40 PM

Corrupted file on MP4

Is there a [cmd line] method of removing a corrupted file on an MP4?
I tried copying a bunch of MP3's to my daughter's new MP4 and one of the
directories with a bunch of songs got corrupted (according to WinXP -
Feisty didn't give any info, just won't let me delete it). The MP4 can't
delete the directory either. I did manage to rename it (to 'corrupted')
and then successfully copied the said directory to the MP4.

Using the gui on Feisty, the MP4 and WinXP, there is no way to delete it
or overwrite it. Is there a way using the command line? Perhaps using 'dd'?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Steve Grace 02-02-2008 01:40 AM

Corrupted file on MP4

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 22:40 +0200, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Is there a [cmd line] method of removing a corrupted file on an MP4?
> I tried copying a bunch of MP3's to my daughter's new MP4 and one of the
> directories with a bunch of songs got corrupted (according to WinXP -
> Feisty didn't give any info, just won't let me delete it). The MP4 can't
> delete the directory either. I did manage to rename it (to 'corrupted')
> and then successfully copied the said directory to the MP4.
>
> Using the gui on Feisty, the MP4 and WinXP, there is no way to delete it
> or overwrite it. Is there a way using the command line? Perhaps using 'dd'?

Nigel:

Many Chinese-made "MP4" players advertise the incorrect capacity (e.g.,
4 GB when they're really 1 GB). Adding files beyond the "real" capacity
results in file system corruption. The only way out is to reset the
player to the correct capacity and to re-load your files.

See my web page here:

http://members.cox.net/sgrace9/chipod/index.html

Good luck!

Steve

Anton Rolls 02-03-2008 12:15 AM

Corrupted file on MP4

Hi,

Steve Grace wrote:
> Many Chinese-made "MP4" players advertise the incorrect capacity (e.g.,
> 4 GB when they're really 1 GB). Adding files beyond the "real" capacity
> results in file system corruption. The only way out is to reset the
> player to the correct capacity and to re-load your files.
>
> See my web page here:
>
> http://members.cox.net/sgrace9/chipod/index.html
>
> Good luck!
>
> Steve

Gosh, you really bent over backwards for this device !
Page appreciated.

Anton.

Steve Grace 02-03-2008 03:20 AM

Corrupted file on MP4

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 12:15 +1100, Anton Rolls wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Steve Grace wrote:
> > Many Chinese-made "MP4" players advertise the incorrect capacity (e.g.,
> > 4 GB when they're really 1 GB). Adding files beyond the "real" capacity
> > results in file system corruption. The only way out is to reset the
> > player to the correct capacity and to re-load your files.
> >
> > See my web page here:
> >
> > http://members.cox.net/sgrace9/chipod/index.html
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Steve
>
> Gosh, you really bent over backwards for this device !
> Page appreciated.

You're welcome.

My sister bought the ChiPod but couldn't do much with it (she corrupted
the file system). I bought it from her because it (unlike my other
player) was Linux-compatible. Unfortunately, after only a year the
battery seems pretty much shot and I may have to abandon it.

Steve

David Fletcher 02-03-2008 07:54 AM

Corrupted file on MP4

On Sunday 03 Feb 2008, Anton Rolls wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Steve Grace wrote:
> > Many Chinese-made "MP4" players advertise the incorrect capacity (e.g.,
> > 4 GB when they're really 1 GB). Adding files beyond the "real" capacity
> > results in file system corruption. The only way out is to reset the
> > player to the correct capacity and to re-load your files.
> >
> > See my web page here:
> >
> > http://members.cox.net/sgrace9/chipod/index.html
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Steve

I just took a very quick look at the web site out of curiosity. Issue 3 is
similar to the problem I had with my music player. I solved it by using
rsync:-

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=2376&reviews_ id=3705

I have used the procedure once since then, but I ended up with a corrupted
file in the list and had to delete everything and start again. So I don't
know for sure if a further rsync operation correctly adds new files to the
player. But the most important part is, that the tracks from "Dark Side of
the Moon", "The Final Cut" etc play in the correct order. If the rsync
solution works for you too, let us know.

Dave

--

FACT - Millions of people worldwide continue to pay money to the richest
person in the world to use his products, even though perfectly good software

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763

Steve Grace 02-03-2008 03:45 PM

Corrupted file on MP4

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 08:54 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Sunday 03 Feb 2008, Anton Rolls wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Steve Grace wrote:
> > > Many Chinese-made "MP4" players advertise the incorrect capacity
> (e.g.,
> > > 4 GB when they're really 1 GB). Adding files beyond the "real"
> capacity
> > > results in file system corruption. The only way out is to reset
> the
> > > player to the correct capacity and to re-load your files.
> > >
> > > See my web page here:
> > >
> > > http://members.cox.net/sgrace9/chipod/index.html
> > >
> > > Good luck!
> > >
> > > Steve
>
> I just took a very quick look at the web site out of curiosity. Issue
> 3 is
> similar to the problem I had with my music player. I solved it by
> using
> rsync:-
>
> http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=2376&reviews_ id=3705
>
> I have used the procedure once since then, but I ended up with a
> corrupted
> file in the list and had to delete everything and start again. So I
> don't
> know for sure if a further rsync operation correctly adds new files to
> the
> player. But the most important part is, that the tracks from "Dark
> Side of
> the Moon", "The Final Cut" etc play in the correct order. If the
> rsync
> solution works for you too, let us know.
>
> Dave

Dave:

There was a recent thread (I think it was on ubuntu-users) where I
mentioned the rsync technique based on your post last November. That's
the method that works best for me. I've been meaning to update my web
page but haven't done so yet.

Steve

Nigel Ridley 02-03-2008 06:30 PM

Corrupted file on MP4

Steve Grace wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 22:40 +0200, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Is there a [cmd line] method of removing a corrupted file on an MP4?
>> I tried copying a bunch of MP3's to my daughter's new MP4 and one of the
>> directories with a bunch of songs got corrupted (according to WinXP -
>> Feisty didn't give any info, just won't let me delete it). The MP4 can't
>> delete the directory either. I did manage to rename it (to 'corrupted')
>> and then successfully copied the said directory to the MP4.
>>
>> Using the gui on Feisty, the MP4 and WinXP, there is no way to delete it
>> or overwrite it. Is there a way using the command line? Perhaps using 'dd'?
>
> Nigel:
>
> Many Chinese-made "MP4" players advertise the incorrect capacity (e.g.,
> 4 GB when they're really 1 GB). Adding files beyond the "real" capacity
> results in file system corruption. The only way out is to reset the
> player to the correct capacity and to re-load your files.
>
> See my web page here:
>
> http://members.cox.net/sgrace9/chipod/index.html
>
> Good luck!
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve,

I have been playing around with her MP4 and adding some [converted,
using VLC] video clips from youtube.
Sometimes they play and sometimes I get the 'File Format Error' message.
So it looks like I will have to try the 'format' method you recommend.....
I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW The MP4 in question is labeled as an MP5 (it has a built-in camera)
- but I can't find anything on the unit or the box, or the user manual
giving a manufacturer's name. The only thing noticeable is the MP5 logo
- you can see something similar here (although ours is more like your
chipod but with a 2.4 inch screen):
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/13/chintzy-mp5-portable-media-player-emerges/

Blessings,

Nigel