Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Default permissions for samba configuration

When I try to access the samba configuration tool in System Settings, all of the configuration options are grayed out and I can't reset any of them. *If I try to start the configuration tool using kdesudo systemsettings, most of the options are blank even if I load /etc/samba/smb.conf.
I don't have this problem for other configuration modules such as user manager, which require root access to make changes.
Any ideas how to access the gui config tool with appropriate access? *I'm not looking to manually edit smb.conf or install another tool.

Paul--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Monday 08 November 2010, pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
> When I try to access the samba configuration tool in System
> Settings, all of the configuration options are grayed out and I
> can't reset any of them. If I try to start the configuration tool
> using kdesudo systemsettings, most of the options are blank even
> if I load /etc/samba/smb.conf.
>

> I don't have this problem for other configuration modules such as
> user manager, which require root access to make changes.
>

> Any ideas how to access the gui config tool with appropriate
> access? I'm not looking to manually edit smb.conf or install
> another tool.

sudo kcmshell4 kcmsambaconf

--Reinhold

Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 AM

This allowed me to enter changes, but nothing was saved?!?Paul--

Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Jonathan Riddell

On 8 November 2010 11:33, <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:
>>On Monday 08 November 2010, pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
>>>*When I try to access the samba configuration tool in System
>>>*Settings, all of the configuration options are grayed out and I
>>> can't reset any of them.

This tool is badly broken upstream and has been for some years.
Kubuntu people are working on rewriting it.

Jonathan

Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 12:50 +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> This tool is badly broken upstream and has been for some years.
> Kubuntu people are working on rewriting it.

Does that samba gui tool for a browser still work? Gawd, old memories.
Ric

Linux user# 44256