Old 02-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Joel Andres Granados

Default Minimal systems

Gary Thomas wrote:

James Laska wrote:

Greetings,

Try ...

%packages --nobase
%end

You'll likely end up with a useless system, so you'll need to manually
add in packages (or smaller comps groups) that you want installed.

No joy :-( I just tried:

%packages --nobase
kernel
-selinux-policy
-selinux-policy-targeted
%end

I *still* got both selinux-policy and selinux-policy-targeted
installed, even though they are explicitly excluded. There
were also some 146 other packages... (is this truly minimal??)

I had this working with anaconda-11.4.0.21. I'm now running 11.4.0.28.
I can't see anything that changed in the sources to account for this.

Gary Thomas wrote:

I'm am trying to build the most minimal system possible.
My first attempt (via kickstart) lists these packages:

%packages
@base
-selinux-policy
-selinux-policy-targeted
-selinux-policy-mls
%end

Despite this, I *still* end up with selinux-policy and
selinux-policy-targeted installed. Why? Nothing that
was installed requires them, so how/why did they end up
in the list of packages?

Just thinking out loud. Could there be a requirement path from kernel to selinux? It could be whats happening here?

Regards

--
Joel Andres Granados
Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic

Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Chris Lumens

> Just thinking out loud. Could there be a requirement path from kernel to selinux? It could be whats happening here?

Yes, that's exactly what's going on here. Something in @base has a
requirement on an selinux package, and those requirements get pulled in
regardless of what is removed in the kickstart %packages section since
dependency resolution happens after the packages section is read.

- Chris

Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Jesse Keating

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 09:55:00 -0500
Chris Lumens <clumens@redhat.com> wrote:

> Yes, that's exactly what's going on here. Something in @base has a
> requirement on an selinux package, and those requirements get pulled
> in regardless of what is removed in the kickstart %packages section
> since dependency resolution happens after the packages section is
> read.

Except that he used --nobase, so its one of the packages that anaconda
forces in, like from @core.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 02-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Gary Thomas

Chris Lumens wrote:

Just thinking out loud. Could there be a requirement path from kernel to selinux? It could be whats happening here?

Yes, that's exactly what's going on here. Something in @base has a
requirement on an selinux package, and those requirements get pulled in
regardless of what is removed in the kickstart %packages section since

Sorry, I don't buy it. From a fully loaded Fedora 8 system:
# rpm -q --whatrequires selinux-policy
no package requires selinux-policy
# rpm -q --whatrequires selinux-policy-targeted
no package requires selinux-policy-targeted

Also, I used pungi to rebuild my base repository (the one I was
testing with was created by hand) and there's no selinux-*
packages anywhere. Installing from this repository works just
fine.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Bill Nottingham

Jesse Keating (jkeating@redhat.com) said:
> Except that he used --nobase, so its one of the packages that anaconda
> forces in, like from @core.

policy is explicitly listed in Core.

Bill

Old 02-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Chris Lumens

> Except that he used --nobase, so its one of the packages that anaconda
> forces in, like from @core.

Base, Core, whichever. I knew what I meant.

- Chris

Old 02-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Jesse Keating

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:21:45 -0700
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> Which, I guess, is *always* included, specified or not?
>
> Any harm in removing this from the 'comps' file? I have no
> use nor desire ever for selinux on this platform.

Go for it, that's what respinning your own is all about.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Jesse Keating

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:21:45 -0700
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> Which, I guess, is *always* included, specified or not?
>
> Any harm in removing this from the 'comps' file? I have no
> use nor desire ever for selinux on this platform.

Rather, remove it from /your/ comps file, not the upstream one in
Fedora CVS (:

--
Jesse Keating

Old 02-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Gary Thomas

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:21:45 -0700
Which, I guess, is *always* included, specified or not?

Any harm in removing this from the 'comps' file? I have no
use nor desire ever for selinux on this platform.

Rather, remove it from /your/ comps file, not the upstream one in
Fedora CVS (:

No worries - I don't have Fedora CVS access :-)