Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Nigel Ridley

Default MP4 conversion app - resolution size

My daughter just bought an MP4 player but when I try to play video clips
(any of the formats that the player recognizes) that I have successfully
copied from my Feisty box, I get an error message:

'File Format Error'

Somebody told me it's because the video clip's resolution is too big.
Is there an app that will reduce the resolution size of said clips?
Is this the answer?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 02-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Anton Rolls

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> My daughter just bought an MP4 player but when I try to play video clips
> (any of the formats that the player recognizes) that I have successfully
> copied from my Feisty box, I get an error message:
>
> 'File Format Error'
>
> Somebody told me it's because the video clip's resolution is too big.
> Is there an app that will reduce the resolution size of said clips?
> Is this the answer?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Try Avidemux, it has a really nice simple GUI.

Anton.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Daniel Pittman

Nigel Ridley <nigel@rmk.co.il> writes:

> My daughter just bought an MP4 player but when I try to play video
> clips (any of the formats that the player recognizes) that I have
> successfully copied from my Feisty box, I get an error message:
>
> 'File Format Error'
>
> Somebody told me it's because the video clip's resolution is too big.

It could be.

> Is there an app that will reduce the resolution size of said clips?

ffmpeg, mencoder, transcode, and a host of similar tools. Try avidemux
if your release contains it, which has a nice GUI interface to this sort
of thing.

> Is this the answer?

No idea. It could be, but you have not provided anything like enough
detail for us to know. Assuming that the device doesn't produce a
helpful error in addition to that particular one ... try it and find
out.

Also useful: try putting some video on there using the supplied Windows
tool, if possible, then extract it to your Feisty system. That should
give some more information about what is done to the video on the way
through.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Daniel Pittman <daniel@cybersource.com.au> Phone: 03 9428 6922
1/130-132 Stawell St, Richmond Web: http://www.cyber.com.au

Old 02-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Nigel Ridley

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Nigel Ridley <nigel@rmk.co.il> writes:
>
>> My daughter just bought an MP4 player but when I try to play video
>> clips (any of the formats that the player recognizes) that I have
>> successfully copied from my Feisty box, I get an error message:
>>
>> 'File Format Error'
>>
>> Somebody told me it's because the video clip's resolution is too big.
>
> It could be.
>
>> Is there an app that will reduce the resolution size of said clips?
>
> ffmpeg, mencoder, transcode, and a host of similar tools. Try avidemux
> if your release contains it, which has a nice GUI interface to this sort
> of thing.
>
>> Is this the answer?
>
> No idea. It could be, but you have not provided anything like enough
> detail for us to know. Assuming that the device doesn't produce a
> helpful error in addition to that particular one ... try it and find
> out.
>
> Also useful: try putting some video on there using the supplied Windows
> tool, if possible, then extract it to your Feisty system. That should
> give some more information about what is done to the video on the way
> through.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

I tried the avidemux app but couldn't see any way of reducing/converting.

I did a google of the problem and there are a ton of folks with the same
problem. The answer is to use a convert tool but I can't find anything
for Linux (there was one but it seems like it's just for 'psp'.

There is this one:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/Tools/avi-and-mp4-converter-32163.shtml
but I'm not sure how much Gnome stuff I will need.

Blessings,

Nigel