Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   Messages on shutting down (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/44000-messages-shutting-down.html)

Mark Fraser 01-31-2008 05:55 PM

Messages on shutting down
 
On Tuesday 29 January 2008 19:42:43 Donn wrote:
> >Are these messages logged anywhere
> > so I can read them when I next boot up and find out what's causing them
> > in the first place?
>
> You can try:
> /var/log/messages
> Poke around in /var/log too
>

That didn't show much, but I managed to get some of the messages with a
digital camera:

Starting Clamav virus database updater freshclam
Starting DirMngr dirmngr
Starting NFS common utilities
Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...
Starting NFS kernel daemon
Starting internet superserver inetd
Starting powernowd...
Starting Samba daemons
Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon avahi-daemon
Starting DHCP D-Bus daemon dhcdbd
Starting Bluetooth services
Starting anac(h)ronistic cron anacron
Starting deferred execution scheduler atd
Starting periodic command scheduler crond
Enabling additional executable binary formats binfmt-support
Checking battery state...
Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)
Stopping K Display Manager: kdm

I think they all have [ok] at the end too, which is what I would normally
expect to see at start up and not shutting down.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Donn 02-01-2008 07:03 AM

Messages on shutting down
 
> > /var/log/messages
> > Poke around in /var/log too
> That didn't show much,
Sorry - it's not something I know about, but I'd like to find out how to
capture those messages too.

>but I managed to get some of the messages with a
> digital camera:
Ha! Brilliant idea. Desperate times eh? :)

d
--
Hlade's Law: If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person; he will
find an easier way to do it.

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"Ranmadhu Wijayatilaka" 02-01-2008 09:35 AM

Messages on shutting down
 
On 01/02/2008, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > /var/log/messages
> > > Poke around in /var/log too
> > That didn't show much,
> Sorry - it's not something I know about, but I'd like to find out how to
> capture those messages too.

I think those messages should be in the /var/log/boot file. But
apparently, there's a bug in Feisty and Gutsy and this feature cannot
be enabled (https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/98955).

Ranmadhu

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Donn 02-01-2008 10:09 AM

Messages on shutting down
 
> I think those messages should be in the /var/log/boot file. But
> apparently, there's a bug in Feisty and Gutsy and this feature cannot
> be enabled (https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/98955).
Good find. Thanks.

d


--
"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike."
-- Delos B. McKown

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"Kelly L. Fulks" 02-01-2008 12:55 PM

Messages on shutting down
 
Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 January 2008 19:42:43 Donn wrote:
>>> Are these messages logged anywhere
>>> so I can read them when I next boot up and find out what's causing them
>>> in the first place?
>> You can try:
>> /var/log/messages
>> Poke around in /var/log too
>>
>
> That didn't show much, but I managed to get some of the messages with a
> digital camera:
>
> Starting Clamav virus database updater freshclam
> Starting DirMngr dirmngr
> Starting NFS common utilities
> Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...
> Starting NFS kernel daemon
> Starting internet superserver inetd
> Starting powernowd...
> Starting Samba daemons
> Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon avahi-daemon
> Starting DHCP D-Bus daemon dhcdbd
> Starting Bluetooth services
> Starting anac(h)ronistic cron anacron
> Starting deferred execution scheduler atd
> Starting periodic command scheduler crond
> Enabling additional executable binary formats binfmt-support
> Checking battery state...
> Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)
> Stopping K Display Manager: kdm
>
> I think they all have [ok] at the end too, which is what I would normally
> expect to see at start up and not shutting down.
>
>

The message that are displayed (if there were no splash) are displayed
on tty8. This tty can be reached with <CTRL><ALT><F8>. What you are
seeing is the screens flipping around to get everything setup for proper
shutdown. The system opens tty8 for writing, when KDM stops (see the
last line above), that tty takes control of the system. The splash
screen then is run and it covers tty8.

Since the last thing written to tty8 was the start up messages, when the
screen flips, you will see exactly what you are seeing. The start-up
messages for the init scripts which ran at the last boot.

On my system (running gutsy), they are written to /var/log/boot, as
Ranmadhu pointed out they should be (it works properly on my system).
However, there are some control characters written to that file as well.
It appears that what is writing to /var/log/boot is exactly what is
written to the screen and thus the control characters.

I hope that this helps.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account
near Huntsville, AL

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.