Old 01-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Derek Broughton

Default archives not embedded in Konqueror AGAIN

Jared Greenwald wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2008 12:27 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I understand why this is default - but it's NOT what I want, and it
>> really shouldn't be continually overriding my preferences.
>
> Have you filed this as a bug on launchpad?

The problem is, it's not really a bug. aiui, it's done for a very good
reason - when a kio slave crashes in konqueror, it brings down konqueror.
This is obviously not good, and since the konqueror devs can't control what
kio slaves you're using, it's reasonable that the default be to never use
embedding. If I had a better idea for a way to handle this, I'd file a
bug, but right now I'm just venting :-)
--
derek

Old 01-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Nils Kassube

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Nevertheless, the problem remains - this is going to break again, next
> time somebody decides to update the kubuntu-default-settings package.
> It seems I can remove kubuntu-default-settings without losing anything
> else, but iirc it's been added in as a dependency of kubuntu-desktop
> before...
>
> I understand why this is default - but it's NOT what I want, and it
> really shouldn't be continually overriding my preferences.

How about a dirty trick? It worked for me somewhere else

Make /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/mimelnk
a normal file, not a directory - and make it read only.

Nils

Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Nevertheless, the problem remains - this is going to break again, next
>> time somebody decides to update the kubuntu-default-settings package.
>> It seems I can remove kubuntu-default-settings without losing anything
>> else, but iirc it's been added in as a dependency of kubuntu-desktop
>> before...
>>
>> I understand why this is default - but it's NOT what I want, and it
>> really shouldn't be continually overriding my preferences.
>
> How about a dirty trick? It worked for me somewhere else
>
> Make /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/mimelnk
> a normal file, not a directory - and make it read only.

I was thinking perhaps I should copy the corresponding files
from /usr/share/mimelnk/application/ to the kubuntu-default-settings
location, then I'd get prompted by apt whether to replace them when
kubuntu-default-settings is updated - but that only works if they're tagged
as config files in the package, and I don't know if that's true.
--
derek