Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Richard

Default Terminal Window

when using the terminal (commandline) is there a way to store commands,
like a bookmark ? instead of re-typing them in, all the time.

Thanks, in Advance,
Richard

Old 01-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Rene

Old 01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Rene

Old 01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
"Wes Hegge"

Several way I can think to do this.

First is history.* Linux keeps a history of your commands.* You can do 'history | grep <command>' this will give you a numbered list of previous commands.* You then can do '!<line #>' to execute that command again.

The other way is to use aliases.* This you would make in the .bashrc or whatever shell system you are using configuration's file is called. Here is an example: alias rm='rm -i'

So maybe something like: alias t_auth='tail -f /var/log/auth.log'

There has to be other ways too.* The great thing about the 2 above is that they do not rely on a specific terminal program or desktop environment.* They do rely on the user you are logging in as though.

Wes

when using the terminal (commandline) is there a way to store commands,
like a bookmark ? instead of re-typing them in, all the time.

Thanks, in Advance,
Richard

Wes Hegge

- If the phone rings. *Its not me.