-   -   OT - Understanding "The Bible" (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/42498-ot-understanding-bible.html)

Billie Walsh 01-20-2008 05:55 PM

OT - Understanding "The Bible"

Probably going to make a few enemies here.

First. Contrary to what some people believe, the Bible was not written
by God. He did not sit down at his royal typewriter and pound it out.
The Bible is very much a work of man. Different books were chosen for
inclusion or exclusion by how certain people felt they were relevant.

Second. The Old Testament is a translation of the Tora, sort of. Some
things were left out and a few things were put in. The earliest books
were handed down word of mouth for many generations before they were
actually written down. Sometimes stories change as they are passed on.
The whole thing is basically a history of the Israelites.

Third. No part of the New Testament was written during, or immediately
after, the life of Jesus. The oldest books were written down about
eighty years after his death. Here again stories were passed down word
of mouth. None of the writers had first hand knowledge of what they were
writing. Many "stories" were chosen to not be included because certain
people felt they did not portray Jesus in as favorable a light [ within
their own belief - like the possibility that Jesus was married to Mary ]
as they should.

The Bible is written in "parables". Stories that tell something. Taking
a "verse" out of the parable destroys the meaning of the verse. The
entire parable must be read to gain the meaning of the parable.

The best way to read, and understand, the "New Testament" is in the
original Greek. Many meanings are lost in the translation to other
languages. For instance - I forget how many right the top of my head
but, Greek has/had MANY different words for "love". Each denoting the
exact relationship with the person involved [ a father for his son, a
man for his wife, a sister for her brother, etc. ]. ALL these words
basically translate into "love" in most other languages but the
relationship is lost in such a simple translation.

Virtually none of the things written in The Bible are "new". Almost
every idea held therein can be found in an earlier belief system.

A good understanding of history is very important.

"Richard S. Crawford" 01-20-2008 06:08 PM

OT - Understanding "The Bible"

On Sunday 20 January 2008 10:55:14 Billie Walsh wrote:
> Probably going to make a few enemies here.
>
> First. Contrary to what some people believe, the Bible was not written
> by God. He did not sit down at his royal typewriter and pound it out.
> The Bible is very much a work of man. Different books were chosen for
> inclusion or exclusion by how certain people felt they were relevant.

...etc...

I think the most pertinent question here is, "What does the Bible say about
Linux and Kubuntu?"

The answer is found in the last chapter of Exodus, wherein we find the
following:

And behold, Erijabahanibar did speak unto the Israelites and he did give unto
them a new commandment which was that thou shalt not talk about thy gods in
an electronic mailing list dedicated to open source technologies, unless thy
god be Linux Torvalds, Mark Shuttleworth.... and so on. Ramen. (Exodus
45:1-3, 9 - FSMV)

Powerful words, and still applicable even today, whatever your faith.

--
Richard S. Crawford
Editor-in-chief, Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)

Donn 01-20-2008 06:44 PM

OT - Understanding "The Bible"

> Powerful words, and still applicable even today, whatever your faith.
Lol and Ramen.

It'll start a flame thread that will make the KDE 4 one look like /dev/null

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

"Mike Shaw" 01-20-2008 07:40 PM

OT - Understanding "The Bible"

ROFL

On Jan 20, 2008 2:08 PM, Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

On Sunday 20 January 2008 10:55:14 Billie Walsh wrote:
> Probably going to make a few enemies here.
>
> First. Contrary to what some people believe, the Bible was not written
> by God. He did not sit down at his royal typewriter and pound it out.

> The Bible is very much a work of man. Different books were chosen for
> inclusion or exclusion by how certain people felt they were relevant.

...etc...

I think the most pertinent question here is, "What does the Bible say about

Linux and Kubuntu?"

The answer is found in the last chapter of Exodus, wherein we find the
following:

And behold, Erijabahanibar did speak unto the Israelites and he did give unto
them a new commandment which was that thou shalt not talk about thy gods in

an electronic mailing list dedicated to open source technologies, unless thy
god be Linux Torvalds, Mark Shuttleworth.... and so on. *Ramen. (Exodus
45:1-3, 9 - FSMV)

Powerful words, and still applicable even today, whatever your faith.

--
Richard S. Crawford
Editor-in-chief, Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)
Personal website:
http://www.mossroot.com

"Google HR wants to hire the smartest people still dumb enough to be working for somebody else." - Steve

Ant Cunningham 01-20-2008 09:30 PM

OT - Understanding "The Bible"

On 1/20/08 2:08 PM, "Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

> Ramen.

hahahaha

Ant Cunningham 01-20-2008 09:35 PM

OT - Understanding "The Bible"

On 1/20/08 1:55 PM, "Billie Walsh" <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:

> The best way to read, and understand, the "New Testament" is in the
> original Greek.

How is one supposed to have time to learn Greek to level that one can read
and understand a religious text and still have time to persecute "heathens"?

"John Jeleaskov" 01-20-2008 10:32 PM

OT - Understanding "The Bible"

I finck you right about reading Bible in original language. For exampe: filia, eros, agape, storge*are translated in majority of Bibles with word love, but New World Translation don't do that. That Bible translate :
filia -*brother afections, agape -*love, storge - afections.

*

Billie Walsh 01-20-2008 11:03 PM

OT - Understanding "The Bible"

Ant Cunningham wrote:
> On 1/20/08 1:55 PM, "Billie Walsh" <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
>

>> The best way to read, and understand, the "New Testament" is in the
>> original Greek.
>>

> How is one supposed to have time to learn Greek to level that one can read
> and understand a religious text and still have time to persecute "heathens"?

Never said that anyone should learn to read it, I can't, just that that
was the best "version" to read. Get all the nuances that way.

We are all heathens, so are you going to start with persecuting
yourself. *<[:oD

Ant Cunningham 01-20-2008 11:13 PM

OT - Understanding "The Bible"

On 1/20/08 7:03 PM, "Billie Walsh" <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:

> We are all heathens, so are you going to start with persecuting
> yourself. *<[:oD

No I rather like heathens... its the zealots that get to me :-)

Dexter Filmore 01-20-2008 11:40 PM

OT - Understanding "The Bible"

snip

> And behold, Erijabahanibar did speak unto the Israelites and he did give
> unto them a new commandment which was that thou shalt not talk about thy
> gods in an electronic mailing list dedicated to open source technologies,
> unless thy god be Linux Torvalds, Mark Shuttleworth.... and so on. Ramen.
> (Exodus 45:1-3, 9 - FSMV)
>
> Powerful words, and still applicable even today, whatever your faith.

You just made my day.

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de