Old 11-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Default how to move ntfs partition?

Hello list,

i've the following partition table:
[swap] [free] [ntfs]

and want to move/resize-enlarge ntfs partition .

Please advise any tool for (K)ubuntu to make this jobe done.

Thank you,
-Alex

Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Joan Tur

Es Dilluns, 19 de Novembre de 2007, en Alexander Smirnov va escriure:
| Hello list,
|
| i've the following partition table:
| [swap] [free] [ntfs]
|
| and want to move/resize-enlarge ntfs partition .
|
| Please advise any tool for (K)ubuntu to make this jobe done.

AFAIK gparted can do the job. Make a backup, as it may fail

--
Joan Tur (aka Quini), Eivissa-Spain
Jabber: quini2k@jabber.org

Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Joan Tur wrote:
> Es Dilluns, 19 de Novembre de 2007, en Alexander Smirnov va escriure:
> | Hello list,
> |
> | i've the following partition table:
> | [swap] [free] [ntfs]
> |
> | and want to move/resize-enlarge ntfs partition .
> |
> | Please advise any tool for (K)ubuntu to make this jobe done.
>
> AFAIK gparted can do the job. Make a backup, as it may fail

thank you for reply :-)
I've installed gparted - nice tool. It is able to resize ntfs partition,
but not to move it

Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 AM
David McGlone

On Monday 19 November 2007 5:50:25 am Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> Joan Tur wrote:
> > Es Dilluns, 19 de Novembre de 2007, en Alexander Smirnov va escriure:
> > | Hello list,
> > |
> > | i've the following partition table:
> > | [swap] [free] [ntfs]
> > |
> > | and want to move/resize-enlarge ntfs partition .
> > |
> > | Please advise any tool for (K)ubuntu to make this jobe done.
> >
> > AFAIK gparted can do the job. Make a backup, as it may fail
>
> thank you for reply :-)
> I've installed gparted - nice tool. It is able to resize ntfs partition,
> but not to move it

Are you wanting to move it to the free space you have noted above?

--
David M.

Q: What do little WASPs want to be when they grow up?
A: The very best person they can possibly be.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Alexander Smirnov

David McGlone wrote:
> On Monday 19 November 2007 5:50:25 am Alexander Smirnov wrote:
>
>> Joan Tur wrote:
>>
>>> Es Dilluns, 19 de Novembre de 2007, en Alexander Smirnov va escriure:

>>> AFAIK gparted can do the job. Make a backup, as it may fail
>>>
>> thank you for reply :-)
>> I've installed gparted - nice tool. It is able to resize ntfs partition,
>> but not to move it
>>

> Are you wanting to move it to the free space you have noted above?

Yes

Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Earl Violet

--- Alexander Smirnov <alexander.v.smirnov@gmail.com> wrote:

> David McGlone wrote:

> escriure:

> >> thank you for reply :-)
> >> I've installed gparted - nice tool. It is able to resize ntfs
> partition,
> >> but not to move it
> >>

> > Are you wanting to move it to the free space you have noted
> above?
> >

> Yes
It's been a while but, if I remember correctly, first make sure the
space you are trying to move your partition to isn't set up as a
partition already. It should be a blank space.

I remember it took some manipulating to make things work. It was
rather trial and error the first few times. I used the gparted live
CD.

Earl

URL http://deserthowler.cjb.net
Instant messenger: earlcoyote
ICQ:64033496

Old 11-19-2007, 11:10 PM
David McGlone

On Monday 19 November 2007 8:37:03 am Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:

> >> thank you for reply :-)
> >> I've installed gparted - nice tool. It is able to resize ntfs partition,
> >> but not to move it
> >
> > Are you wanting to move it to the free space you have noted above?
>
> Yes

This isn't guaranteed, but here's how I'd go about it. I would take the [free]
partition and combine it with the [ntsf] partition by basically resizing the
ntsf partition to take up the free space, then I would finally resize the
ntsf partion leaving the free space at the end.

1. [swap] [free] [ntsf]
2. [swap] [ ntsf ]
3 [swap] [ntsf] [free]

--
David M.

Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at the blank sheet of paper until
drops of blood form on your forehead.
-- Gene Fowler

Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 AM
Alexander Smirnov

David McGlone wrote:
> This isn't guaranteed, but here's how I'd go about it. I would take the [free]
> partition and combine it with the [ntsf] partition by basically resizing the
> ntsf partition to take up the free space, then I would finally resize the
> ntsf partion leaving the free space at the end.
>
> 1. [swap] [free] [ntsf]
> 2. [swap] [ ntsf ]
> 3 [swap] [ntsf] [free]
I would be totally satisfied with second step you've mentioned above :-)
But resize operation in gparted can resize only to the right, not to the
left

As far as i understand resize-to-left requires _moving_ all the data to
the left too.

By the way, just after i installed gparted it was unable even resize
ntfs partitions. This changed then i installed ntfsprogs package.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Earl Violet wrote:
> It's been a while but, if I remember correctly, first make sure the
> space you are trying to move your partition to isn't set up as a
> partition already. It should be a blank space.
>
> I remember it took some manipulating to make things work. It was
> rather trial and error the first few times. I used the gparted live
> CD.
Yes, this is blank space, there's no partition there.
Hmm... thank you for hint about gparted on live cd - there should be
opportunity to move partitions.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 AM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 1:47:40 am Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
> > This isn't guaranteed, but here's how I'd go about it. I would take the
> > [free] partition and combine it with the [ntsf] partition by basically
> > resizing the ntsf partition to take up the free space, then I would
> > finally resize the ntsf partion leaving the free space at the end.
> >
> > 1. [swap] [free] [ntsf]
> > 2. [swap] [ ntsf ]
> > 3 [swap] [ntsf] [free]
>
> I would be totally satisfied with second step you've mentioned above :-)
> But resize operation in gparted can resize only to the right, not to the
> left
>
> As far as i understand resize-to-left requires _moving_ all the data to
> the left too.
>
> By the way, just after i installed gparted it was unable even resize
> ntfs partitions. This changed then i installed ntfsprogs package.

I'm pretty sure you could make the free space ntsf then merge them.

--
David M.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the
difference between lightning and the lightning bug.
-- Mark Twain