Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 AM
David McGlone

Default how to move ntfs partition?

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 4:10:20 am David McGlone wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 November 2007 1:47:40 am Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> > David McGlone wrote:
> > > This isn't guaranteed, but here's how I'd go about it. I would take the
> > > [free] partition and combine it with the [ntsf] partition by basically
> > > resizing the ntsf partition to take up the free space, then I would
> > > finally resize the ntsf partion leaving the free space at the end.
> > >
> > > 1. [swap] [free] [ntsf]
> > > 2. [swap] [ ntsf ]
> > > 3 [swap] [ntsf] [free]
> >
> > I would be totally satisfied with second step you've mentioned above :-)
> > But resize operation in gparted can resize only to the right, not to the
> > left
> >
> > As far as i understand resize-to-left requires _moving_ all the data to
> > the left too.
> >
> > By the way, just after i installed gparted it was unable even resize
> > ntfs partitions. This changed then i installed ntfsprogs package.
>
> I'm pretty sure you could make the free space ntsf then merge them.

don't mind my typo's :-) ntfs it is.

--
He is now rising from affluence to poverty.
-- Mark Twain

Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Alexander Smirnov

David McGlone wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 November 2007 4:10:20 am David McGlone wrote:

>>> I would be totally satisfied with second step you've mentioned above :-)
>>> But resize operation in gparted can resize only to the right, not to the
>>> left
>>>
>>> As far as i understand resize-to-left requires _moving_ all the data to
>>> the left too.
>>>
>>> By the way, just after i installed gparted it was unable even resize
>>> ntfs partitions. This changed then i installed ntfsprogs package.
>>>
>> I'm pretty sure you could make the free space ntsf then merge them.
>>

> don't mind my typo's :-) ntfs it is.

Thank you for the trick.
But how do i merge 2 partitions into one? I didn't found such option in
gparted

Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Earl Violet

OK, I might be getting confused here but it seems to me ...

1. [swap] [free] [ntfs]
move ntfs
2. [swap] [ntfs] [free]

where [free] is a blank partition.

Then you stretch or shrink [ntfs] as necessary. Shrink it after
defragging and everything is in the front of the partition within the
limits you want to shrink it to.

Earl

URL http://deserthowler.cjb.net
Instant messenger: earlcoyote
ICQ:64033496

Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 11:36:01 am Earl Violet wrote:

> OK, I might be getting confused here but it seems to me ...
>
> 1. [swap] [free] [ntfs]
> move ntfs
> 2. [swap] [ntfs] [free]
>
> where [free] is a blank partition.
>
> Then you stretch or shrink [ntfs] as necessary. Shrink it after
> defragging and everything is in the front of the partition within the
> limits you want to shrink it to.

No. Combine the free partition with the ntfs partition, this will move the
data on the partition to the beginning of the drive

example:

Lets just say the free space is 10Gb and the ntfs partition is 20Gb and 5Gb of
the ntsf partition is full of data so:

[free] [<-- ntsf data-->|<--rest of ntsf partition-->]
[<----- 5Gb ------>|<------------ 15Gb ------------->]

Now lets merge the free space and the ntfs partition. Even though the free
space in _before_ the ntfs partition, when they are merged the data should
move to the beginning of the drive.

So now we have:

[<-- ntsf data -->|<------- rest of ntfs partition ------->]
[<----- 5Gb ------->|<-------------- 25Gb ----------------------->]

Now we take the whole partition and shrink it leaving some free space at the
end of the drive. Lets say he wanted to have 10Gb of free space so we shrink
the whole ntfs drive from 30Gb to 20Gb

so now we have.

[<--ntsf data-->|<---rest of ntsf drive-->] [ free space]
[<---- 5Gb ------>|<------------15Gb----------->] [<-- 10Gb -->]

Does that explain it better?

--
David M.

You will be audited by the Internal Revenue Service.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 AM
Alexander Smirnov

David McGlone wrote:

> No. Combine the free partition with the ntfs partition, this will move the
> data on the partition to the beginning of the drive
>
> example:
>
> Lets just say the free space is 10Gb and the ntfs partition is 20Gb and 5Gb of
> the ntsf partition is full of data so:
>
> [free] [<-- ntsf data-->|<--rest of ntsf partition-->]
> [<----- 5Gb ------>|<------------ 15Gb ------------->]
>
> Now lets merge the free space and the ntfs partition. Even though the free
> space in _before_ the ntfs partition, when they are merged the data should
> move to the beginning of the drive.
>
> So now we have:
>
> [<-- ntsf data -->|<------- rest of ntfs partition ------->]
> [<----- 5Gb ------->|<-------------- 25Gb ----------------------->]
>
> Now we take the whole partition and shrink it leaving some free space at the
> end of the drive. Lets say he wanted to have 10Gb of free space so we shrink
> the whole ntfs drive from 30Gb to 20Gb
>
> so now we have.
>
> [<--ntsf data-->|<---rest of ntsf drive-->] [ free space]
> [<---- 5Gb ------>|<------------15Gb----------->] [<-- 10Gb -->]
>
> Does that explain it better?
great thanks for the help!

here is my actual picture:
[ swap ] [ blank partition ] [----------190 GB ntfs-----------]
<---2Gb--> <---------40Gb--------> <-------140Gb------->|<---50Gb--->

I did not understand how to merge 2 ntfs partitions. Do you mean i
should create new ntfs partition on the place there 'blank' is located
now and then copy files from 'old' partition to 'new' one? I don't think
that's possible taking into account i have 140Gb of data on my 'old'
partition and 'new' would be just 40Gb :-(

Old 11-21-2007, 03:50 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Earl Violet wrote:

> OK, I might be getting confused here but it seems to me ...
>
> 1. [swap] [free] [ntfs]
> move ntfs
> 2. [swap] [ntfs] [free]
>
> where [free] is a blank partition.
>
> Then you stretch or shrink [ntfs] as necessary. Shrink it after
> defragging and everything is in the front of the partition within the
> limits you want to shrink it to.
>
> Earl
thank you for reply,
my gparted is not able to move ntfs partitions. I opened it's File menu
and selected 'Features'. There's red cross against ntfs move operation :-(
and the question is 'how to move ntfs partition'

Old 11-21-2007, 10:52 AM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 11:46:04 pm Alexander Smirnov wrote:
<snip>

> here is my actual picture:
> [ swap ] [ blank partition ] [----------190 GB ntfs-----------]
> <---2Gb--> <---------40Gb--------> <-------140Gb------->|<---50Gb--->
>
> I did not understand how to merge 2 ntfs partitions. Do you mean i
> should create new ntfs partition on the place there 'blank' is located
> now and then copy files from 'old' partition to 'new' one?

No. find a good partitioning tool that allows you to do everything.

here is a suggestion. Does your ntfs drive have windows on it?

http://shop.symantecstore.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage &SiteID=symnahho&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=106300&Env=B ASE&productID=44316200&pgm=6037100

I used to use partition magic years ago.

> I don't think
> that's possible taking into account i have 140Gb of data on my 'old'
> partition and 'new' would be just 40Gb :-(

--
People are beginning to notice you. Try dressing before you leave the house.