Old 01-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Nigel Ridley

Default How do I flush swap?

I was doing some printing on my Feisty box through KDE and chose to 'Preview' the print
job first. The first print job was OK but when I tried another one (again with 'Preview')
suddenly the computer went real sluggish and even the mouse pointer would move erratically.
After about a minute the print job started and the memory usage (I have 1GB) went back
from using everything, including quite a bit of my swap file, to normal.

Q. How do I flush/clear the swap file which is still showing a chunk in use?

nigel@nigels:~$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1035776 878456 157320 0 136148 503312
-/+ buffers/cache: 238996 796780
Swap: 522072 158004 364068
nigel@nigels:~$

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 01-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Nils Kassube

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Q. How do I flush/clear the swap file which is still showing a chunk in
> use?

Is there a reason why you want to flush the swap space? If something is
loaded into memory but not in use, there is no problem to have it kept in
the swap space. If you would get it back into memory now and need some
more memory for applications later, the kernel will possibly save the
same part of the memory in the swap space. That would cost more disk
activity overall.

Anyway, if you think it is a good idea, you can always turn off swap with
the command

sudo swapoff -a

and after that turn it on again with this command:

sudo swapon -a

Nils