Old 01-19-2008, 10:01 AM
"javed aslam"

Default some attention pls.. guys

i mailed u regarding the state my laptop is.. after installing the kubuntu my vista was in detectable.. the files were there were booting failed .. now i have deleted it.. and trying to re install it.. but i dont know how to. please tell me the procedure... i connect to net via my mobile but my p[c suite is not working in kubuntu.. i cant plkay music saying that my codec package is out of date,, but when i use the live cd i am able to do so but after installing it does noty work.. what the hell is haapening.* some one pls help me on this .. i am very new to* all this ubuntu and stuff and wish to* learn it and be a part of this community.* i guess i need ur help.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Donn

Javed,
Take it one thing at a time. Try to boot off the Kubuntu CD and start the
installation again. It sounds like you have erased Vista, so don't worry
about that. When you get the system installed, we can worry about listening
to music.

If you get stuck, then post about specific things and we'll try to help you.

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -- Winston
Churchill

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-19-2008, 04:02 PM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On 1/19/08, javed aslam <javedshadab@gmail.com> wrote:
> i mailed u regarding the state my laptop is.. after installing the kubuntu
> my vista was in detectable.. the files were there were booting failed .. now
> i have deleted it.. and trying to re install it..

Which one did you delete? If you deleted Kubuntu just pop in the live
CD and reinstall. We can work on the GRUB (boot loader) isssues
after. If you deleted Vista, then make sure you reinstall Vista
_before_ you install Kubuntu or else you won't be able to boot into
Kubuntu.

After we get your dual-boot setup working we can get you the
restricted codecs to play your music (really easy).

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Sylviane et Perry White

On Saturday 19 January 2008 12:21, Donn wrote:
> Javed,
> Take it one thing at a time. Try to boot off the Kubuntu CD and start the
> installation again. It sounds like you have erased Vista, so don't worry
> about that. When you get the system installed, we can worry about listening
> to music.
I'm not sure, but I thought Javed wanted to reinstall Vista and was asking
how.
If that is the case it is probably better to start with Vista, then
reinstalling Kubuntu (or fixing Grub).

Since it is important IMHO to understand why it it so, I'll try to explain for
Javed:
When a computer boots, the BIOS, (Basic Input Output System residing on the
motherboard) will perform some tests and tell the machine to fetch further
instructions on a predetermined place on the first hard drive, which is
called the bootblock.
When Windows is installed, it behaves as if it were the only system and
overwrites the bootblock for its sole purpose.
Linux is nicer (well... normally, I don't know what happened in your case and
wether something really went wrong or you just missed the countdown when Grub
was waiting for you to tell to boot into Vista). Linux modifies the boot
block to retain the original functionnality of the boot block and just adds
the option to boot to the new system.
GRUB, the Grand Unified Bootloader (or another "good" bootloader), will be
called from the bootblock and ask you what system you want to boot.
That is why windows has to be installed first (unless you are smart enough to
boot from a CD and fix Grub).

I have never installed Vista (and I have even never seen it) but installing
from a CD is normally an easy task, *you said you were trying to reinstall it
but didn't know how to*
_You tried to reinstall it or you just want to reinstall it?
Please, Javed, ask more precise questions because nobody can guess where you
are stuck.
Also I hope you are not trying the newest Ubuntu version, it is still
experimental and not recommended to newbes.

Stick on, first steps are always the hardest Perry

--
BOFH excuse #254: Interference from lunar radiation

Old 01-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Derek Broughton

javed aslam wrote:

> i mailed u regarding the state my laptop is..

Then please try to write complete sentences with appropriate capitalization
and real words. I see writing like this and I skip it. If you want our
help, it is only reasonable to make your best effort to help us. Writing
like that may be easier if you have trouble typing, but it certainly isn't
easier to read.
--
derek

Old 01-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Donn

On Saturday, 19 January 2008 20:12:51 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Then please try to write complete sentences with appropriate capitalization
> and real words.
Derek, I doubt English is his natural language and he did say he was using a
mobile which makes life harder.

That said, I wish his OP made more sense.

Calm down to a panic

The most curious social convention of the great age in which we live is the
one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected.
-- H L Mencken

Old 01-19-2008, 10:09 PM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On 1/19/08, Sylviane et Perry White <spwhite@freesurf.ch> wrote:
> Also I hope you are not trying the newest Ubuntu version, it is still
> experimental and not recommended to newbes.

For clarification:
Hardy Heron (8.04) = still experimental and will be officially ready in April
Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) = not experimental and was released in October
2007 (2007 = 7; October = 10; therefore 7.10)

Sylviane is saying you should be using Gutsy Gibbon and not Hardy Heron.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 01-20-2008, 06:36 AM
"John Jeleaskov"

Kubuntu don't have right to play mp3, mpeg4 and dvd(mpeg2), but if you find*decoder*your*amarok and kofein will play staf like that. Now i try to find them, because i have the same problem. When i will find i will send them to you via mail. ok.*

PS: when i used*SLAX*i don't have this problems, because*slax distribution fack*that rights...

*

Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 AM
"javed aslam"

THANKS A LOT GUYS...* FOR UR RESPONSE.. I WILL TRY THW XP FIRST AND THEN IF NEED BE MOVE BACK TO VISTA..COZ VISTA INSTALL IS INT REALLY THAT FAST ON MY MACHINE. I HAVE AN 'AMD TURION X2' LAPTOP THAT DOES WELL WITH A NVIDIA DRIVER--WHICH AGAIN HAS N0 DRIVER IN UBUNTU.

******** SO FOR NOW LIKE A GOOD CHILD- I'LL TRY INSTALLING THE XP THEN THE UBUNTU.. ONE MORE THING THAT I NEEDED TO ASK IS THAT WHEN I INSTALL UBUNTU IT ASKS FOR A ROOT .. I GAVE ONE OF THE PARTITION AS ROOT.. IS IT FINE. I WILL TRY THIS IN THE WEEKEND AND TELL U GUYZ..

******** THANKS A LOT GUYS.. I SURELY WIL BE NEEDING ALL UR SUPPORT. HAVE A GOOD WEEK