Old 01-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Clark

Default Catch 22 Default Apps

I am in an difficult spot, when I use default applications (setup) in
System Settings to set email and Firefox it doesn't seem to work, so I
select the Help menu, this tells me there is no documentation for this
function, next I select the on line help, it doesn't give me a www
address, it tries to connect me (very nice if it did) but as it can't
find Firefox it kindly tells me so "can't find Firefox.
Can someone help me break out of this cycle?

Clark.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Wulfy

Clark wrote:
> I am in an difficult spot, when I use default applications (setup) in
> System Settings to set email and Firefox it doesn't seem to work, so I
> select the Help menu, this tells me there is no documentation for this
> function, next I select the on line help, it doesn't give me a www
> address, it tries to connect me (very nice if it did) but as it can't
> find Firefox it kindly tells me so "can't find Firefox.
> Can someone help me break out of this cycle?
>
> Clark.

Type "about:config" into FF's address bar.

Search for:

network.protocol-handler.app.mailto

It's a string... set it to your mail apps name [mine says "thunderbird"]

Below it is:

network.protocol-handler.expose.mailto

Boolean. set to "true".

All without the quotes, of course.

HTH

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Fred Schaer

Did you just type firefox ?

I gave the full path, i.e :
/usr/bin/firefox

But thunderbird doesn't use firefox when I click on an URL, it opens
konqueror... funny.
But as said by wulfy, in Thunderbird, go to edit-> preferences->
advanced -> general and click on "configuration editor" (or something
like this in english).

Then, you can find and change the network.protocol-handler.app.http -
for me it is set to /usr/bin/konqueror

Cheers

Old 01-20-2008, 04:20 AM
Clark

Wulfy wrote:

Clark wrote:

I am in an difficult spot, when I use default applications (setup) in
System Settings to set email and Firefox it doesn't seem to work, so I
select the Help menu, this tells me there is no documentation for this
function, next I select the on line help, it doesn't give me a www
address, it tries to connect me (very nice if it did) but as it can't
find Firefox it kindly tells me so "can't find Firefox.
Can someone help me break out of this cycle?

Clark.

Type "about:config" into FF's address bar.

Search for:

network.protocol-handler.app.mailto

It's a string... set it to your mail apps name [mine says "thunderbird"]

Below it is:

network.protocol-handler.expose.mailto

Boolean. set to "true".

All without the quotes, of course.

HTH

Thanks Wulf,

A question or two about your advice above.

1. I got into "about:config ok but can't find any trace of

network.protocol-handler.app.mailto

Where is it?

2. I found the line "network.protocol-handler.expose.mailto" and it is set to "false" do I just select the line with the mouse LC and select toggle? or 3 below.

3. Do I have to enter a text editor and if so how.

Clark.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Wulfy

Clark wrote:
> Thanks Wulf,
>

> A question or two about your advice above.
> 1. I got into "about:config ok but can't find any trace of
> network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
>
> Where is it?
>
> 2. I found the line "network.protocol-handler.expose.mailto" and it is set to "false" do I just select the line with the mouse LC and select toggle? or 3 below.
>
> 3. Do I have to enter a text editor and if so how.
>
> Clark.

If the .app. line isn't there, create it. Right click on any of the
lines there and choose "New..." String. You'll be asked for a name and
a value... then change the .expose. line to true (right click and choose
"toggle").

Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Clark

Wulfy wrote:

Clark wrote:

I am in an difficult spot, when I use default applications (setup) in
System Settings to set email and Firefox it doesn't seem to work, so I
select the Help menu, this tells me there is no documentation for this
function, next I select the on line help, it doesn't give me a www
address, it tries to connect me (very nice if it did) but as it can't
find Firefox it kindly tells me so "can't find Firefox.
Can someone help me break out of this cycle?

Clark.

Type "about:config" into FF's address bar.

Search for:

network.protocol-handler.app.mailto

It's a string... set it to your mail apps name [mine says "thunderbird"]

does this mean I append the word thunderbird to the line
network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
for Email default and create another line and append the word Firefox
for my browser default,* my confusion grows greater.

Perhaps a word about the function of these 2 lines may help.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:14 AM
Clark

Wulfy wrote:

Clark wrote:

I am in an difficult spot, when I use default applications (setup) in
System Settings to set email and Firefox it doesn't seem to work, so I
select the Help menu, this tells me there is no documentation for this
function, next I select the on line help, it doesn't give me a www
address, it tries to connect me (very nice if it did) but as it can't
find Firefox it kindly tells me so "can't find Firefox.
Can someone help me break out of this cycle?

Clark.

Type "about:config" into FF's address bar.

Search for:

network.protocol-handler.app.mailto

It's a string... set it to your mail apps name [mine says "thunderbird"]

Tried that then discovered some points of confusion:

1. Do I create a new line* -* network.protocol-handler.app.mailto and
append the word thunderbird to make it the default Email app.

2. Do I repeat this process - another new** -
network.protocol-handler.app.mailto and add firefox

3. Then set these lines to true and the expose line to true?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Wulfy

Clark wrote:
> Wulfy wrote:
>> Type "about:config" into FF's address bar.
>>
>> Search for:
>>
>> network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
>>
>> It's a string... set it to your mail apps name [mine says "thunderbird"]
>>
> Tried that then discovered some points of confusion:
> 1. Do I create a new line - network.protocol-handler.app.mailto and
> append the word thunderbird to make it the default Email app.
> 2. Do I repeat this process - another new -
> network.protocol-handler.app.mailto and add firefox
> 3. Then set these lines to true and the expose line to true?

1. When you create the new line it will ask for a name
(network.protocol-handler.app.mailto) and a value (thunderbird). It
then inserts the line into the appropriate file in your user directory
and updates the screen. That's all you have to do - fill in 2 boxes.

2. Firefox is not a mail app... so no.

3. The n.p-h.expose.mailto boolean you toggle (true).

That it.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:06 AM
Billie Walsh

Wulfy wrote:
> Clark wrote:
>
>> Wulfy wrote:
>>
>>> Type "about:config" into FF's address bar.
>>>
>>> Search for:
>>>
>>> network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
>>>
>>> It's a string... set it to your mail apps name [mine says "thunderbird"]
>>>

>> Tried that then discovered some points of confusion:
>> 1. Do I create a new line - network.protocol-handler.app.mailto and
>> append the word thunderbird to make it the default Email app.
>> 2. Do I repeat this process - another new -
>> network.protocol-handler.app.mailto and add firefox
>> 3. Then set these lines to true and the expose line to true?
>>

> 1. When you create the new line it will ask for a name
> (network.protocol-handler.app.mailto) and a value (thunderbird). It
> then inserts the line into the appropriate file in your user directory
> and updates the screen. That's all you have to do - fill in 2 boxes.
>
> 2. Firefox is not a mail app... so no.
>
> 3. The n.p-h.expose.mailto boolean you toggle (true).
>
> That it.

To automatically open links in Thunderbird in Firefox you will also have
to make some similar changes to Thunderbird config. Click
Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General>Config Editor. Add two lines:

network.protocol-handler.pap.http firefox
network.protocol-handler.app.https firefox

For some reason these lines have been omitted for the latest releases.