Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Nigel Ridley

Default USB headphone + microphone

I checked the archives but couldn't find anything useful. I also Googled but also came up with a
blank.

How does one get a USB headphone set to work under Kubuntu (10.04)?

When I plug it in and then open Kmix it gives options for the headphone set and I can hear my own
voice through the headphones via the microphone but not any audio from the laptop. If I play a
music file or any other multi-media file the sound only comes out of the built-in speakers.

There is no problem using regular 3.5 jack plug headphones.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Saturday 14 August 2010, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I checked the archives but couldn't find anything useful. I also
> Googled but also came up with a blank.
>
> How does one get a USB headphone set to work under Kubuntu
> (10.04)?
>
> When I plug it in and then open Kmix it gives options for the
> headphone set and I can hear my own voice through the headphones
> via the microphone but not any audio from the laptop. If I play a
> music file or any other multi-media file the sound only comes out
> of the built-in speakers.
>
> There is no problem using regular 3.5 jack plug headphones.

I don't really know a whole lot about this, but I'd assume that you
have to choose the USB device as output device in system settings.

--Reinhold

Old 08-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 13:27 +0200, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Saturday 14 August 2010, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> > I checked the archives but couldn't find anything useful. I also
> > Googled but also came up with a blank.
> >
> > How does one get a USB headphone set to work under Kubuntu
> > (10.04)?
> >
> > When I plug it in and then open Kmix it gives options for the
> > headphone set and I can hear my own voice through the headphones
> > via the microphone but not any audio from the laptop. If I play a
> > music file or any other multi-media file the sound only comes out
> > of the built-in speakers.
> >
> > There is no problem using regular 3.5 jack plug headphones.
>
> I don't really know a whole lot about this, but I'd assume that you
> have to choose the USB device as output device in system settings.

When pulse is set up correctly, it's a piece of cake to select your
sound input/output with pavucontrol. It's when you crank up kmix and the
rest that the pavucontrol settings get ginked up. Either KDE should
support pulse or ditch it, because a hodgepodge of controls gets messy.
Ric

Old 08-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Nigel Ridley

On 08/14/2010 09:06 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 13:27 +0200, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
>> On Saturday 14 August 2010, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>>> I checked the archives but couldn't find anything useful. I also
>>> Googled but also came up with a blank.
>>>
>>> How does one get a USB headphone set to work under Kubuntu
>>> (10.04)?
>>>
>>> When I plug it in and then open Kmix it gives options for the
>>> headphone set and I can hear my own voice through the headphones
>>> via the microphone but not any audio from the laptop. If I play a
>>> music file or any other multi-media file the sound only comes out
>>> of the built-in speakers.
>>>
>>> There is no problem using regular 3.5 jack plug headphones.
>>
>> I don't really know a whole lot about this, but I'd assume that you
>> have to choose the USB device as output device in system settings.
>
> When pulse is set up correctly, it's a piece of cake to select your
> sound input/output with pavucontrol. It's when you crank up kmix and the
> rest that the pavucontrol settings get ginked up. Either KDE should
> support pulse or ditch it, because a hodgepodge of controls gets messy.
> Ric

So you're saying that unless I want to mess about and wipe alsa and install pulse, then the usb
headphone set won't work?
I really hope that KDE/Kubuntu get things right this coming release!!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Myriam Schweingruber

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 03:34, Nigel Ridley <nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
> On 08/14/2010 09:06 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

>>> I don't really know a whole lot about this, but I'd assume that you
>>> have to choose the USB device as output device in system settings.
>>
>> When pulse is set up correctly, it's a piece of cake to select your
>> sound input/output with pavucontrol. It's when you crank up kmix and the
>> rest that the pavucontrol settings get ginked up. Either KDE should
>> support pulse or ditch it, because a hodgepodge of controls gets messy.
>> Ric
>>

> So you're saying that unless I want to mess about and wipe alsa and install pulse, then the usb
> headphone set won't work?
> I really hope that KDE/Kubuntu get things right this coming release!!

Wipe Alsa certainly not, it is the basic sound framework, even Pulse
can't work without that

I have a wireless USB headset here I don't use very often as those are
rather uncomfortable, but I didn't have to install Pulseaudio to make
those work, just fiddle in KMix to make sure I have all channels
activated..

What Ric tries to say is that if you have a running Pulseaudio you
need to set up your headset with pavucontrol and shouldn't use KMix
for that.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org