Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Steve Morris

Default Oracle jdk location

Hi,
What repository contains the Oracle proprietary java jdk and what is
the package called? The openjdk package appears not to cut it for me.

Also, slightly off topic, what command do I need to issue to add the
Partner repository into Synaptic?

regards,
Steve

Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Michael Hirsch

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Steve Morris <samorris@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> * *What repository contains the Oracle proprietary java jdk and what is
> the package called? The openjdk package appears not to cut it for me.

I use the "sun-java6-jdk" package. I'm not positive which repository
it came from. It's official maintainer is "Debian Java Maintainers"
so it's possible that it came from universe.

Michael

Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 13:29 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Steve Morris <samorris@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > What repository contains the Oracle proprietary java jdk and what is
> > the package called? The openjdk package appears not to cut it for me.
>
> I use the "sun-java6-jdk" package. I'm not positive which repository
> it came from. It's official maintainer is "Debian Java Maintainers"
> so it's possible that it came from universe.

Yup, just fire up synaptic, or your favorite package manager and it's
right there. openjdk doesn't cut it for me, either, when the application
really needs 100% java compat. Ric

Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 AM
I Am Me

On Thursday 12 Aug 2010 1:34:36 am Steve Morris wrote:
> Hi,
> What repository contains the Oracle proprietary java jdk and what is
> the package called? The openjdk package appears not to cut it for me.

Yes, Oracle JDK (previously Sun) should be present in the universe repos, just like RIc and Michael have already
pointed. out

> Also, slightly off topic, what command do I need to issue to add the
> Partner repository into Synaptic?

Uncomment / add the below URL's in your /etc/apt/sources.lst file to enable the ubuntu partner repositiory

d-_-b iamme :& ru @ ~ $
d-_-b iamme :& ru @ ~ $ grep partner /etc/apt/sources.list
# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
# deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
d-_-b iamme :& ru @ ~ $

--
/**
* & RU Chelladurai d*_*b

Old 08-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Steve Morris

On 13/08/10 18:19, I Am Me wrote:
> On Thursday 12 Aug 2010 1:34:36 am Steve Morris wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> What repository contains the Oracle proprietary java jdk and what is
>> the package called? The openjdk package appears not to cut it for me.
>>

> Yes, Oracle JDK (previously Sun) should be present in the universe repos, just like RIc and Michael have already
> pointed. out
>

>> Also, slightly off topic, what command do I need to issue to add the
>> Partner repository into Synaptic?
>>

> Uncomment / add the below URL's in your /etc/apt/sources.lst file to enable the ubuntu partner repositiory
>
> d-_-b iamme :& ru @ ~ $
> d-_-b iamme :& ru @ ~ $ grep partner /etc/apt/sources.list
> # deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
> # deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
> d-_-b iamme :& ru @ ~ $

Thankyou. Those 2 partner entries are the ones I am missing.

regards,
Steve

Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Steve Morris

On 13/08/10 06:15, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 13:29 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Steve Morris <samorris@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> What repository contains the Oracle proprietary java jdk and what is
>>> the package called? The openjdk package appears not to cut it for me.
>>>
>> I use the "sun-java6-jdk" package. I'm not positive which repository
>> it came from. It's official maintainer is "Debian Java Maintainers"
>> so it's possible that it came from universe.
>>
> Yup, just fire up synaptic, or your favorite package manager and it's
> right there. openjdk doesn't cut it for me, either, when the application
> really needs 100% java compat. Ric

Yeah, I tried to install the current Netbeans from Oracle and the
install failed with a missing class error.

regards,
Steve