Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Paul Kaplan

Default printer config in 4.5

Just updated to kde SC4.5 on Lucid and it seems that the printer config isn't working the way it did in 4.4. *If I select a previously config'ed printer, I no longer see the config page for the printer, nor can I delete a newly setup printer.

system-config-printer-common and kde are both installed.
Anyone else? *Solution?TIA
Paul

Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Alvin

On Wednesday 11 August 2010 20:55:41 Paul Kaplan wrote:
> Just updated to kde SC4.5 on Lucid and it seems that the printer config
> isn't working the way it did in 4.4. If I select a previously config'ed
> printer, I no longer see the config page for the printer, nor can I delete
> a newly setup printer.
>
> system-config-printer-common and kde are both installed.
>
> Anyone else? Solution?

I'll start by confirming this. It's possible to add a printer, but not to see
it's properties.

I remember this breaking a lot in previous upgrades too, only this time
there's no error message. Previously, it always had something to do with
python.

Now, that is not very useful info. Is there already a bug filed about this?

--
Alvin

Old 08-12-2010, 07:40 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 11/08/2010 22:52, Alvin wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 August 2010 20:55:41 Paul Kaplan wrote:
>> Just updated to kde SC4.5 on Lucid and it seems that the printer config
>> isn't working the way it did in 4.4. If I select a previously config'ed
>> printer, I no longer see the config page for the printer, nor can I delete
>> a newly setup printer.
>>
>> system-config-printer-common and kde are both installed.
>>
>> Anyone else? Solution?
>
> I'll start by confirming this. It's possible to add a printer, but not to see
> it's properties.
>
> I remember this breaking a lot in previous upgrades too, only this time
> there's no error message. Previously, it always had something to do with
> python.
>
> Now, that is not very useful info. Is there already a bug filed about this?

this is a complete showstopper for me and I am happy I saw this BEFORE I
upgraded a netbook a young friend is using. And happy I have not yet
swapped to my new laptop so I can reinstall it with KDE 4.4.5 and stay
there until we get to 10.10. Unless an update/bugfix for this comes
before next week.

Sinclair

Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Thursday 12 August 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 22:52, Alvin wrote:
> > I'll start by confirming this. It's possible to add a printer,
> > but not to see it's properties.
> >
> > I remember this breaking a lot in previous upgrades too, only
> > this time there's no error message. Previously, it always had
> > something to do with python.
> >
> > Now, that is not very useful info. Is there already a bug filed
> > about this?
>
> this is a complete showstopper for me and I am happy I saw this
> BEFORE I upgraded a netbook a young friend is using. And happy I
> have not yet swapped to my new laptop so I can reinstall it with
> KDE 4.4.5 and stay there until we get to 10.10. Unless an
> update/bugfix for this comes before next week.

Don't get overly excited just yet. Last time I checked, the
repository was still being updated. It might simply be that some
library is still out-of-date...

Everybody experiencing this problem should just wait another day or
so and see whether it survives an update then.

--Reinhold

Old 08-12-2010, 12:14 PM
"O. Sinclair"

On 12/08/2010 13:27, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Thursday 12 August 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 11/08/2010 22:52, Alvin wrote:
>>> I'll start by confirming this. It's possible to add a printer,
>>> but not to see it's properties.
>>>
>>> I remember this breaking a lot in previous upgrades too, only
>>> this time there's no error message. Previously, it always had
>>> something to do with python.
>>>
>>> Now, that is not very useful info. Is there already a bug filed
>>> about this?
>>
>> this is a complete showstopper for me and I am happy I saw this
>> BEFORE I upgraded a netbook a young friend is using. And happy I
>> have not yet swapped to my new laptop so I can reinstall it with
>> KDE 4.4.5 and stay there until we get to 10.10. Unless an
>> update/bugfix for this comes before next week.
>
> Don't get overly excited just yet. Last time I checked, the
> repository was still being updated. It might simply be that some
> library is still out-of-date...
>
> Everybody experiencing this problem should just wait another day or
> so and see whether it survives an update then.

The very same problem was one reason I gave up on RC2 so I do not have
high hopes at this moment but would love to be proven wrong

Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 02:14:59PM +0200, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 12/08/2010 13:27, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

Noted, I'll try to fix it before beta

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/system-config-printer-kde/+bug/616758

Jonathan