Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Douglas Phillipson

Default KDE4 just too slow

I've found KDE4 WAY too slow for use. After clicking an Icon for an
application it takes 2 seconds just to get launch feedback, then the app
takes a long time to show up. It's pretty but doesn't seem too
functional yet. (Kind of like GNOME) 8-) Had to go back to 3.5.8 to
get some work done.

Doug P

Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Eduardo Robles Elvira

El Viernes 18 Enero 2008, Douglas Phillipson escribió:
> I've found KDE4 WAY too slow for use. After clicking an Icon for an
> application it takes 2 seconds just to get launch feedback, then the app
> takes a long time to show up. It's pretty but doesn't seem too
> functional yet. (Kind of like GNOME) 8-) Had to go back to 3.5.8 to
> get some work done.
>
> Doug P

KDE 4.0.0 uses more ram than KDE3, and more CPU in many cases. Things like
double buffering all the widgets can be a cause of this.

Also, the code is a base and needs to be optimized (example: plasmoids
rotations), and many bug fix work needs to be done. Maybe it's called 4.0.0
and maybe that was the best thing to do as aseigo and other developers have
stated in their blogs, but that doesn't mean that users should use it as
their working enviroment.

As a developer and as a KDE poweruser which wants to help, I use KDE 4.0.0
from time to time, to have some fun and to find and report bugs.

At the moment I'm using 3.5.8 as my desktop enviroment, but I'm also running
some KDE4 applications: kopete, konqueror, konsole, kwrite and kate, which
are applications that I daily use and whose KDE 4.0.0 version is stable
enough for me.

If you are short on ram and wants to try running kde 3.x and 4.x applications,
take into account that will take some extra ram in order to load libraries
and daemons from two different DE (qt3, qt4, kdelibs4 and kdelibs5, etc).

Have fun!
Eduardo Robles Elvira.
depends on the unreasonable man." (George Bernard Shaw)

Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Richard

On Friday 18 January 2008 5:28:59 pm Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:
> El Viernes 18 Enero 2008, Douglas Phillipson escribió:
> > I've found KDE4 WAY too slow for use. After clicking an Icon for an
> > application it takes 2 seconds just to get launch feedback, then the app
> > takes a long time to show up. It's pretty but doesn't seem too
> > functional yet. (Kind of like GNOME) 8-) Had to go back to 3.5.8 to
> > get some work done.
> >
> > Doug P
>
> KDE 4.0.0 uses more ram than KDE3, and more CPU in many cases. Things like
> double buffering all the widgets can be a cause of this.
>
> Also, the code is a base and needs to be optimized (example: plasmoids
> rotations), and many bug fix work needs to be done. Maybe it's called 4.0.0
> and maybe that was the best thing to do as aseigo and other developers have
> stated in their blogs, but that doesn't mean that users should use it as
> their working enviroment.
>
> As a developer and as a KDE poweruser which wants to help, I use KDE 4.0.0
> from time to time, to have some fun and to find and report bugs.
>
> At the moment I'm using 3.5.8 as my desktop enviroment, but I'm also
> running some KDE4 applications: kopete, konqueror, konsole, kwrite and
> kate, which are applications that I daily use and whose KDE 4.0.0 version
> is stable enough for me.
>
> If you are short on ram and wants to try running kde 3.x and 4.x
> applications, take into account that will take some extra ram in order to
> load libraries and daemons from two different DE (qt3, qt4, kdelibs4 and
> kdelibs5, etc).
>
> Have fun!
> Eduardo Robles Elvira.
> --
> "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
> persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress
> depends on the unreasonable man." (George Bernard Shaw)

Well, after this, wait for 4.1.1

Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Luís Silva

> KDE 4.0.0 uses more ram than KDE3, and more CPU in many
> cases. Things like double buffering all the widgets can
> be a cause of this.

Hi!
Have been compiling KDE 4.0.0 from svn and notice exactly
the opposite. There is a bug in xine that makes knotify4 go
wild if the sound notifications are used. Disable them and
you will see that KDE4.0.0 is in fact lighter and faster
than KDE3.5.8 even with debug symbols.

Luís Silva

Old 01-19-2008, 07:50 AM
"girardhenri@free.fr"

No doubt of it
dual core intel 2 G RAM
kde4 is nearly double fatest than kde3.5

Old 01-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Jason Straight

On Saturday 19 January 2008 03:50:52 girardhenri@free.fr wrote:
> No doubt of it
> dual core intel 2 G RAM
> kde4 is nearly double fatest than kde3.5

Yeah, same here, KDE4 crashes twice as fast as KDE3.5.8

--
| Jason Straight
| http://www.SkyCon.net
| Yahoo: jasonrstraight
| ICQ: 1796276
| MSN: glock21-45cal@hotmail.com
| AIM: JasonRStraight

--- RonPaul2008.com ---

Old 01-19-2008, 11:14 AM
"girardhenri@free.fr"

kde4 is very good
better than vista at release time

Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 PM
"Eduardo Robles"

KDE 4.0.0 uses more ram than KDE 3.5.8 in my system. I installed exmap and sorted by Effective Resident memory usage column, and launched kmix,konsole,konqueror with two tabs,ksnapshot,klipper and kwrite. Both without composite activated and within Kubuntu Gutsy freshly started in a machine with 900Mb of RAM and no swap usage. The result: total memory usage with KDE
3.5.8 is 123Mb, and with KDE 4.0.0 is 161Mb.

I used the mentioned applications to do a similar test to the one done in [1].

--
[1] http://www.jarzebski.pl/read/kde-3-5-vs-4-0-round-two.so

Old 01-19-2008, 03:34 PM
"Richard A. Johnson"

On Saturday 19 January 2008, Eduardo Robles wrote:
| KDE 4.0.0 uses more ram than KDE 3.5.8 in my system. I installed exmap and
| sorted by Effective Resident memory usage column, and launched
| kmix,konsole,konqueror with two tabs,ksnapshot,klipper and kwrite. Both
| without composite activated and within Kubuntu Gutsy freshly started in a
| machine with 900Mb of RAM and no swap usage. The result: total memory usage
| with KDE 3.5.8 is 123Mb, and with KDE 4.0.0 is 161Mb.

Just because it is using more ram doesn't mean that it is slower. KDE 4 is way
faster than 3.5 in many arenas, and the fastest at starting up. I am noticing a
little bit of a larger memory footprint myself, but I think that might be due
to a little bit of a memory leak here or there. I notice sometimes when I am
for instance working on a wiki page with Konqi, the system gets super slow for
a bit, then out of nowhere it cleans itself up and then rocks on again.

One good thing is the impressive and aggressive release schedule for KDE 4 now.

- Feb. KDE 4.0.1
- Mar. KDE 4.0.2
- Apr. KDE 4.0.3
- May KDE 4.0.4
- Jun. KDE 4.0.5
- Jul KDE 4.0.6
- Aug. KDE 4.1

So pretty soon we should be kickin' some arse!

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal@kubuntu.org

Old 01-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Brendan

On Saturday 19 January 2008, Richard A. Johnson wrote:
> On Saturday 19 January 2008, Eduardo Robles wrote:
> | KDE 4.0.0 uses more ram than KDE 3.5.8 in my system. I installed exmap
> | and sorted by Effective Resident memory usage column, and launched
> | kmix,konsole,konqueror with two tabs,ksnapshot,klipper and kwrite. Both
> | without composite activated and within Kubuntu Gutsy freshly started in a
> | machine with 900Mb of RAM and no swap usage. The result: total memory
> | usage with KDE 3.5.8 is 123Mb, and with KDE 4.0.0 is 161Mb.
>
> Just because it is using more ram doesn't mean that it is slower. KDE 4 is
> way faster than 3.5 in many arenas, and the fastest at starting up. I am
> noticing a little bit of a larger memory footprint myself, but I think that
> might be due to a little bit of a memory leak here or there. I notice
> sometimes when I am for instance working on a wiki page with Konqi, the
> system gets super slow for a bit, then out of nowhere it cleans itself up
> and then rocks on again.
>
> One good thing is the impressive and aggressive release schedule for KDE 4
> now.
>
> - Feb. KDE 4.0.1
> - Mar. KDE 4.0.2
> - Apr. KDE 4.0.3
> - May KDE 4.0.4
> - Jun. KDE 4.0.5
> - Jul KDE 4.0.6
> - Aug. KDE 4.1
>
> So pretty soon we should be kickin' some arse!

Agreed. I just think all the negative attention on KDE right now is hilarious.
These are the same people who poo-poo'd all new ideas and desperately tried
criticizing them so they could feel mighty. I follow SVN and it gets better
with every 'svn up'.